Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:02 PM

25 posts, read 97,731 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how the city of Westfiled is to live in. I lived there 20 years ago and wonder if this is a city I should consider in my moving plans. Thanks!
Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 AM

79 posts, read 396,049 times
Default It's not the same

I'ts not what it was 20 years ago. Although it isn't bad, I would suggest Granville, Southampton, Westhampton or Huntington. There's been an influx of people and subdivisions which in my minds eye, drive up the tax rate due to even though there are more houses to collect taxes from, it never offsets the required increase in services delivered. That aside, the school system is not too bad, but there are problems like any other city. The thing with Westfield, is the city goverment is kinda lame. It needs a good housecleaning if you know what I mean. I'll sell you my place in four years. I'm heading south!!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:41 PM

127 posts, read 431,695 times
westfield has grown to 40k a good mix of people, still very safe and the school system has done a major upgrade in the past 5 years. the fire dept is fantastic, ambulance service with paramedics only running them, taxes did go up with the cost of the housing, the main line traffic is still bad but they are working on that. the rte 20 end was fixed a couple years ago no more traffic there at the shops.

noble hospital still working strong in the community a new surgical wing added in 96.

westfield state is still going as well and growing. agreed on the mayor he has run unchallenged for a few years. its the good ole boy network.

jeff

Old 04-23-2007, 02:16 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
One of my coworkers was a longtime resident of westfield - sometimes rte 20 can be a PITA and whatever road that is going up towards the entrance at the MA Pike..(still rte 20?) She lived near Congamond pond. Some areas of Western MA saw a really big increase in property value a few years back but I still find it to me more affordabe there than many areas of the North East.

I think it is an OK move, I would agree don't confine your search to Westfield, give Easthampton and the surrounding towns a lookover too. Parts of Russell and Blandford are pretty nice just watch out for any areas prone to flood they had a few while I was up in MA with the river and all those brooks that run through there.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:27 AM

Default F-15s

Another thing to consider, is the F-15s are coming to Barnes Airport. And they are loud. Did we want them? Does that ever matter? We got 'em rammed down our throat.
Another thing to consider, is the the city is divided north and south by the river. Rush hour traffic is awful, and it's gonna get worse for years while they put up a second bridge and reroute traffic which in my opinion won't do a damn thing.
I'd probably want to look someplace else if I were moving.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:45 AM

Noodle, I heard last that the F-15's were not coming because Otis was not closing- but this whole BRAC thing between Otis, Barnes and Bradley was a big fight anyway..but that may have changed...again. Living near fighters is not so bad, I used to live within 1 mile of a runway at a F-16 base, and that was uncomfortable when they were surging, but OK for a good part of the day and I noticed they rarely flew over the city near the base - the military does not like disgruntled civilians living nearby if you get my drift. Should be much quieter than the C-5's they have over at Westover..that really sucks to live in their glide path.

When was the latest update you guys up in MA have gotten about this BRAC soap opera? This info I got was probably from last Sept but was by word of mouth.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: F15s

I don't know. I'm pretty sure they are coming because the A 10s are leaving. There's already talk of cash payments to 216 households for "noise mitigation" (don't you love that) kinda like hush money. The feds say " here is some money so you don't call and complain about the noise at all hours". I'm not un-patriotic in the least, but these things don't belong in a residential area.
Oh well. Just four more years on my sentence here in MSSR.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:14 PM

LOL! Noodle how far is the runway from the streets of Westfield? About 2 miles at best? Wonder why they did not just buy out people's homes..that would have seemed more productive in the long term.

Well at least be blessed they are not an active duty unit.. Wonder how pissed the workers from Otis are going to be coming to Westfield and taking nearly a 30% pay cut???? - 30/hr to 23/hr for an aircraft mechanic..better than losing your job I guess.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,204 times
Also livedin Westfield 20 years ago, but now in S'ton where the cost of housing has gone through the roof. There are plans for a new bridge across the Westfield River below the old green bridge. But you may remember them talking about that 30 years ago. It loooks like it will happen now and then the green bridge will be replaced. This will create a major nightmare, greater than already at 5:00 PM. If you move to Westfield and can live on the side of the river that you will be employed on, then that is the best idea. Noble hospital has really gained in a positive way. At one time most people avoiding going there, but that is no longer true.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:17 AM

25 posts, read 97,731 times
Thank You so much for all the suggestions. I honestly don't think the noise of jets would bother me. Ilived a few miles form Westover during Vietnam so I was very accustomed to jet noises. Slept right through them. Also here in Florida I am accustomed to the sounds of the space shuttle taking off and landing, booms so loud it just about breaks your windows. I do want to get back to New England though. Will look into Easthampton or Russel, does sound like a good possible alternative.
Diane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts