Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 03:29 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As far as crime and drugs it definitely seems worse now than in 2000 or even 2005, for example. But I haven't really been downtown since the new courthouse, so as far as that I don't know. It had nowhere but up to go for as long as I can remember.
I don’t think crime feels noticeably worse now than it did 10 or more years ago. In fact, the crime rate now is lower than it’s been since before the early 2000s according to City-Data http://www.city-data.com/city/Fall-R...achusetts.html and it’s been trending down for a bit. But from the “feel” aspect, I never felt unsafe outside of a few pockets of town as your average white man. I still don’t. I can’t say it feels safer now than it did 10+ years ago, but worse? Nah. Not at all.

The opioid thing is noticeable (though it’s noticeable everywhere). Definitely moreso over the past 5 years. Driving through parts of town in broad daylight feels like you’re watching the walking dead. It’s sad. Fall River has always had drug problems but I don’t remember it being this visible.

I agree that it’s been pretty low down for a long time. It still is. I don’t see the potential there like I do for places like New Bedford, Warren RI, Lowell, etc. but it has room for improvement. In fact. I’d argue that between some of the infrastructure updates (gates to the city, 79, Quequechan River Walk, bicentennial Park, the new pier, etc) and the new restaurants in town and along the water, there’s more reason to visit Fall River than there has been since the Factory Outlets were a thing nearly 20 years ago. You can also live there affordably and comfortably in a number of fine neighborhoods. But overall, it’s still run down and depressed with few signs of real upward momentum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've met a handful of people from Providence that have gone to Fall River for the cheaper studio space. Eventually, perhaps, that might spill over. It will take a long time though.
Yeah, it might. Affordability and a decent recreational waterfront might be the city’s biggest assets going forward. The commute to Boston was brutal, but what you got for your money was unbearable relative to the rest of eastern MA. If PVD keeps trending upward, you should see some spillover.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree that it’s been pretty low down for a long time. It still is. I don’t see the potential there like I do for places like New Bedford, Warren RI, Lowell, etc. but it has room for improvement. In fact. I’d argue that between some of the infrastructure updates (gates to the city, 79, Quequechan River Walk, bicentennial Park, the new pier, etc) and the new restaurants in town and along the water, there’s more reason to visit Fall River than there has been since the Factory Outlets were a thing nearly 20 years ago. You can also live there affordably and comfortably in a number of fine neighborhoods. But overall, it’s still run down and depressed with few signs of real upward momentum.

Warren in particular is pretty cool. Definitely could see myself there. The Water Street / Main Street quadrangle has some nice stuff happening.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:30 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
I agree that it’s been pretty low down for a long time. It still is. I don’t see the potential there like I do for places like New Bedford, Warren RI, Lowell, etc. but it has room for improvement.
Warren is nothing like New Bedford, Lowell, or Fall River. I have no idea why you'd group it in with those rundown, drug/gang infested, dangerous cities.

There isn't any street in Warren where anyone would feel unsafe at any hour of the day.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Warren is nothing like New Bedford, Lowell, or Fall River. I have no idea why you'd group it in with those rundown, drug/gang infested, dangerous cities.

There isn't any street in Warren where anyone would feel unsafe at any hour of the day.
It's a very different place, but there are parallels with Lowell or New Bedford (and others) in its rejuvenation, especially in the central parts of town. Warren is and always has been safer than the other cities (though in fairness, my whole post was about how Fall River is not like the others). Both Lowell and New Bedford have far worse neighborhoods than Warren has and ever did have. But if you took a look around downtown New Bedford or Lowell, you'll see that they've trended upwards quite a bit (and are not even a little bit dangerous) in similar ways (housing prices have gone up, storefronts have filled, new restaurants have come to town, etc). Warren has followed a similar path. For a long time is was the red headed step child of the East Bay. Dingier (with plenty of drugs), more run down with plenty of vacant storefronts in town, and less desirable than the neighbors. That has changed quite a bit in recent years. Storefronts are filling up, really good restaurants are moving in, and people are looking at it through a different lens. That's all I was saying.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:39 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
It's a very different place, but there are parallels with Lowell or New Bedford (and others) in its rejuvenation, especially in the central parts of town. Warren is and always has been safer than the other cities (though in fairness, my whole post was about how Fall River is not like the others). Both Lowell and New Bedford have far worse neighborhoods than Warren has and ever did have. But if you took a look around downtown New Bedford or Lowell, you'll see that they've trended upwards quite a bit (and are not even a little bit dangerous) in similar ways (housing prices have gone up, storefronts have filled, new restaurants have come to town, etc). Warren has followed a similar path. For a long time is was the red headed step child of the East Bay. Dingier (with plenty of drugs), more run down with plenty of vacant storefronts in town, and less desirable than the neighbors. That has changed quite a bit in recent years. Storefronts are filling up, really good restaurants are moving in, and people are looking at it through a different lens. That's all I was saying.
I definitely agree that people are looking at Warren through a different lens. It wasn't all that long ago when Water Street and its side streets were considered undesirable. Now, most of that area is viewed as the trendy and hip historic district.

I also agree that Warren has been the red headed stepchild of the East Bay. That said, Bristol has come a long way. I can remember when Bristol was viewed negatively. The downtown area was nothing like it is now. The Independence Park / Thames Street area wasn't the vibrant scene you see today. It was a factory area and rundown. And the area around the Common and Wood Street was somewhat rough -- the only area in the East Bay that would fit that description. The entire town had a different feel years ago.

And let's keep in mind that when I use terms such as undesirable or negatively or rough when describing areas in the East Bay, those terms have a very different meaning than if used when describing areas in New Bedford or Fall River or Providence. A night and day difference. The entire East Bay is completely safe.

I do get what you're saying about rejuvenation, but it still feels like Warren doesn't belong in the same conversation as the cities you mentioned. And, despite what you said regarding safety, I'm not walking around downtown New Bedford alone after dark.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:57 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I do get what you're saying about rejuvenation, but it still feels like Warren doesn't belong in the same conversation as the cities you mentioned. And, despite what you said regarding safety, I'm not walking around downtown New Bedford alone after dark.

We ride the bike path a few times every summer. Warren has gentrified some but it's still over 10% poverty rate and only about 50% owner-occupied housing. Look at the demographics. 10,000 people. It's 96.2% white alone. It's nothing like the immigrant melting pot cities like Fall River and New Bedford.

The bus station is a bum lair but most of downtown New Bedford from 6th street to the waterfront between School & Elm is fine after dark. There's a high police presence and the New Bedford cops are pretty no-nonsense with the bums and low-lifes in that part of town since it's a tourist area. I wouldn't leave anything valuable in my car but nobody gets mugged or assaulted. There are plenty of other parts of New Bedford I wouldn't walk at night.

Since this is a Fall River thread, I'd put in a plug for Portugalia as worth an occasional stop. An upscale (for Fall River) Portuguese market. Also, Blount Soup Market 1/4 mile east of there since they're the dominant restaurant clam chowder supplier in the region.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:59 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

Yup, Lowell is a pretty desirable place to live. Has been for quite some time. The real estate prices/trends reflect it.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:59 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
I don’t think crime feels noticeably worse now than it did 10 or more years ago. In fact, the crime rate now is lower than it’s been since before the early 2000s according to City-Data http://www.city-data.com/city/Fall-R...achusetts.html and it’s been trending down for a bit. But from the “feel” aspect, I never felt unsafe outside of a few pockets of town as your average white man. I still don’t. I can’t say it feels safer now than it did 10+ years ago, but worse? Nah. Not at all.

The opioid thing is noticeable (though it’s noticeable everywhere). Definitely moreso over the past 5 years. Driving through parts of town in broad daylight feels like you’re watching the walking dead. It’s sad. Fall River has always had drug problems but I don’t remember it being this visible.

I guess I stand corrected, although I'm certainly surprised based on what I've seen and heard. I definitely wouldn't say I personally feel in danger there, although the countless strung out people right in the open does gives it a sad and less than comfortable feel. Last few times there (fishing at the Veteran's Park, visiting people in the North End, going out to eat, etc.) there definitely appeared to be more sketchy people in general than in years past. I never noticed it as much back round the early 2000s, when I spent quite a bit of time in the city. Perhaps I was just younger and less likely to care or notice. Heroin is bad all over the state now, although Fall River has one of the highest OD rates. Glad to see the major UCR crimes are down.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
Fall River, Mass.! Hometown of one of my personal heroes, Lizzie Borden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts