Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 05:11 AM

16 posts, read 44,925 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I am relocating from Idaho to Massachusetts. I will be potentially working at UMASS. I was looking at the Dudley area? Any suggestions or ideas. I really liked the school district, and housing seems around 350000. Seems a little high to me? Not sure. any help or suggestions would be appreciated? Ideas on commute to UMASS? Public transportation? Utilitie expensive? Ya know the basics.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 AM

967 posts, read 4,787,620 times
There isn't any public transportation in that area unfortunately. I think the commute time driving from Webster would be about half an hour. Do you need to reside within a certain commuting distance from the hospital in case of an emergency?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:34 PM

142 posts, read 520,977 times
Hi, I've lived in Webster my whole life. Webster borders Dudley. Dudley is really nice, some areas are very rural. You can get some nice houses with a nice chunk of land. The schools have a good reputation and there some nice country roads that provide a picturesque setting. Depending on where in Dudley you are living, the commute could be as little as 15 minutes or as long as 1/2 hour. Dudley is one of our top towns to buy a house in if we stay in MA. It's a great little town. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:08 PM

16 posts, read 44,925 times
Hi Scarletfire No i do not need to be within a certain distance. In fact I do like a commute as it gives me time to unwind on the way home. I am living out west where a 45 minute commute is no big deal. However do they keep the roads clear during the winter? I have noticed housing prices at 350000. Do you know if there are alot of rental homes? We are just not sure as to the situation. Any advice you have would be appreciated

Old 06-06-2007, 06:10 PM

967 posts, read 4,787,620 times
The highways are usually cleared pretty well but if you have to take a lot of backroads to get to the main road it may be a bit tricky the morning of a storm. We've often chosen houses off the beaten path and just get used to the fact that it may take extra time for our road to be plowed out.

I don't know of many rental homes right in Dudley but did see a 3 bedroom townhome for $1100/month but it's on a main road (Rt 131). Listing agent is Ryan M. Leblanc (508) 922-8460.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 PM

17 posts, read 57,355 times
Have you visited MA yet??? It's always best to spend some time here and formulate your own opinion on towns close to where you will be working. If you are working at UMASS consider Holden, Rutland, Shrewsbury(more expensive),Paxton...I moved here from PA 5 years ago...it is really beautiful in New England (May-Nov.)...winters are long, but ok if you like snow. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts