Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post
that's another thing I can't understand. People are in such a hurry to get EVERY WHERE!! Thing is, no matter how much of a rush you are in, you aren't going to get there any faster by beeping, yelling, screaming, swearing or giving someone the finger, etc. No matter what you do, you will get there when you get there. People need to leave earlier and PLAN on hitting traffic, no matter how important you are, no matter how important your appointment is, you need to allow for everyone to hurry up. If you leave earlier you won't be so rushed, and you won't be so grumpy. LOL
I agree.
Sometimes that's easier said than done. Not that I'm the one to be laying on the horn or trying to pass when I shouldn't but I do feel a slight bit fluffed when our train gets in to the station later than it's normal time for crazy reasons. I can totally understand trains going slow when it's really hot out. Rail can buckle possibly causing derailments so safety measures are important and are there for a reason. Whether it's that or street speed limits or signs saying lower speed when going thru construction zones. Like you, I also get miffed when people think they can by-pass all those waiting in line, like they're more important. Maybe there should be a class for "patience", or "logical reasoning" that those who speed thru and get caught need to take? Don't know how to incorporate those who are told they have to wait 5 , repeat, 5 [measly] minutes in line to get a seat at a restaurant but instead, they leave to go to yet another restaurant? Ha, the time that it takes to get back in ones vehicle to get to that other restaurant, they probably could have been seated at the 1st one. Ah,, go figure.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM

160 posts, read 321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I agree.
Sometimes that's easier said than done. Not that I'm the one to be laying on the horn or trying to pass when I shouldn't but I do feel a slight bit fluffed when our train gets in to the station later than it's normal time for crazy reasons. I can totally understand trains going slow when it's really hot out. Rail can buckle possibly causing derailments so safety measures are important and are there for a reason. Whether it's that or street speed limits or signs saying lower speed when going thru construction zones. Like you, I also get miffed when people think they can by-pass all those waiting in line, like they're more important. Maybe there should be a class for "patience", or "logical reasoning" that those who speed thru and get caught need to take? Don't know how to incorporate those who are told they have to wait 5 , repeat, 5 [measly] minutes in line to get a seat at a restaurant but instead, they leave to go to yet another restaurant? Ha, the time that it takes to get back in ones vehicle to get to that other restaurant, they probably could have been seated at the 1st one. Ah,, go figure.
OH I love the idea of a class!! You are so right about the restaurants!! People that get that attitude and rush out of the restaurant in a huff always crack me up. They don't realize that the only ones they are hurting is themselves and who ever is with them. Do they think the owner of the restaurant cares? LOL...

Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 AM

3 posts, read 6,492 times
Unhappy GEEZ..So much to say..It's a sad situation

WOW, well this MASS-hole thing is going on for a while, and rightfully so!

It is true, rude and if not RUDE then at least TOTALLY impersonable. Like, "if you don't know me don't talk to me" that is their attitude. And, even if you do know them, maybe had met but weren't best friends, well it's the same. Small talk ONLY. like, "nice weather huh?" (meaning, how do you like this wind-driven ice pelting rain storm?) or, "hey what's up" & expect only "not much" & the person to run the other way.
GEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ PEOPLE... what the heck? I don't know what is wrong with these people.
I've tried to talk to people, say I went to a neighborhood bar, made small talk like i'd do anywhere in the country. I get looked at like "do i know you, are you talking to ME? what do you want??" Honestly it's so weird. They always think that there is some weird motive to why you may say "how ya doin" or whatever. Is the whole place paranoid, all schizo?
Plus always Pee'd off, or acting like it. Until they see someone they know, then it's all hunky-dory. Too weird.
They all know each other from pilgrim times I guess. If you have been elsewhere you're contaminated with knowing what the other towns outside their border looks like.
It is BORING being there & not knowing anyone. If an un-lucky soul does talk to you, well then they are ostrasized from the joint as well. you'll both get stared at til you leave.
It's nuts, all the way around...driving, everything..I hate the state of m*******, it should come with "warning, hazardous to your health" on the "entering the state of ...." signs!!!!
BARF!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 AM

742 posts, read 1,228,085 times
i'd love it if there was a class for stupid drivers- we can call it " if you are going slow move out of the left lane" oh and btw, 3 miles above the limit is not going fast

Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
i'd love it if there was a class for stupid drivers- we can call it " if you are going slow move out of the left lane" oh and btw, 3 miles above the limit is not going fast
Motto in PA, "Drive on the right, Pass on the left"

Or make turns....
In defense, there are roads in some places, that one needs to get into the left lane, in order to make their turn [into a subdivision, shopping center, etc..] that driving for short distances in the left lane is understandable.
Also, there have also been times, mostly w/out GPS assistance, that I didn't know where exactly up the road I was supposed to make that blasted left-hand turn. Be it due to someone's directions to their house, or something like that. My apologies to those behind. I'm the type that likes to know what lane they need to be in at the time they need to be in that lane. Some cities' street signs aren't very cooperative in that regard.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-In-Mass View Post
WOW, well this MASS-hole thing is going on for a while, and rightfully so!

It is true, rude and if not RUDE then at least TOTALLY impersonable. Like, "if you don't know me don't talk to me" that is their attitude. And, even if you do know them, maybe had met but weren't best friends, well it's the same. Small talk ONLY. like, "nice weather huh?" (meaning, how do you like this wind-driven ice pelting rain storm?) or, "hey what's up" & expect only "not much" & the person to run the other way.
GEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ PEOPLE... what the heck? I don't know what is wrong with these people.
I've tried to talk to people, say I went to a neighborhood bar, made small talk like i'd do anywhere in the country. I get looked at like "do i know you, are you talking to ME? what do you want??" Honestly it's so weird. They always think that there is some weird motive to why you may say "how ya doin" or whatever. Is the whole place paranoid, all schizo?
Plus always Pee'd off, or acting like it. Until they see someone they know, then it's all hunky-dory. Too weird.
They all know each other from pilgrim times I guess. If you have been elsewhere you're contaminated with knowing what the other towns outside their border looks like.
It is BORING being there & not knowing anyone. If an un-lucky soul does talk to you, well then they are ostrasized from the joint as well. you'll both get stared at til you leave.
It's nuts, all the way around...driving, everything..I hate the state of m*******, it should come with "warning, hazardous to your health" on the "entering the state of ...." signs!!!!
BARF!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry to hear that. What part of Mass are you in?
My guess, they've never ever moved far from their own home town.
The only times they're ever going to feel that way themselves is if they do move more than 3 or 4 hours away. I've had that same situation from the locals when I've had to move. Get involved in some of the local activities and before too long you'll fit in. Good Luck.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-In-Mass View Post
Does anyone remember the Bud commercials a few years ago where the Texan in the 10-gallon hat comes into a bar and the guido bartenders and customers are all saying "how ya doin'" to each other? Everyone responds "how ya doin'" in kind, but the Texan says, "Well thanks for askin, I'm doin' fine, I just got here today, my brother-in-law picked me up at the airport, mighty big airport you got here..." When the new arrival comes in and says "How ya doin'" to everyone else, they're shaking their heads to tell him not to ask the Texan since the Texan will actually answer as if it was a real question.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Motto in PA, "Drive on the right, Pass on the left"

Or make turns....
In defense, there are roads in some places, that one needs to get into the left lane, in order to make their turn [into a subdivision, shopping center, etc..] that driving for short distances in the left lane is understandable.
Also, there have also been times, mostly w/out GPS assistance, that I didn't know where exactly up the road I was supposed to make that blasted left-hand turn. Be it due to someone's directions to their house, or something like that. My apologies to those behind. I'm the type that likes to know what lane they need to be in at the time they need to be in that lane. Some cities' street signs aren't very cooperative in that regard.
motto in the northeast-" i prefer driving in the left lane the same exact speed as the guy in the right lane. if you don't like it move to new york"

Old 09-11-2009, 03:49 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Does anyone remember the Bud commercials a few years ago where the Texan in the 10-gallon hat comes into a bar and the guido bartenders and customers are all saying "how ya doin'" to each other? Everyone responds "how ya doin'" in kind, but the Texan says, "Well thanks for askin, I'm doin' fine, I just got here today, my brother-in-law picked me up at the airport, mighty big airport you got here..." When the new arrival comes in and says "How ya doin'" to everyone else, they're shaking their heads to tell him not to ask the Texan since the Texan will actually answer as if it was a real question.
Ha! Yes, a classic. Good memory.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
motto in the northeast-" i prefer driving in the left lane the same exact speed as the guy in the right lane. if you don't like it move to new york"

Remembering my driving experiences in Naples, Italy. You can be in the left lane on the Autostrada going close to 80 mph when you see headlights flashing and a vehicle descending rapidly upon you going close to 100. Then you switch back in the right lane and can get stuck behind someone who is going much slower than you. Ah, but that's only one of many interesting experiences when driving over there. Maybe all that has changed since the 80's ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts