Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,630 times

Advertisements

What do most of the residents in Sturbridge area do, are they commuters to Boston and Worcester or Springfield?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:42 PM

180 posts, read 733,811 times
My wife used to commute to hartford then springfield, now marlboro and sometimes boston or merrimack,nh.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:29 PM
tsk

1 posts, read 2,373 times
Hi
I have lived in and raised my children in Sturbridge. It is a wonderful and bucolic New England town. Great schools, great recreation and good people.
Basically no crime and the stats you see reflect (as previously mentioned) traffic stops on the pike, duis, etc. It is a really safe place to live and have a family.
I live in a neighborhood bordering Wells State Park. We cross country ski and snowshoe there in the winter and hike and mtn bike there in the summer. We also canoe and kayak on the lake. Our neighborhood is great for walking and has 2 private beaches on the lake with playgrounds and a volleyball court, we also have a horse stable and tennis court for neighborhood residents.
The neighborhood is called Walker Pond and there are at least 2 houses for sale here. If you haven't decided yet, do yourself a favor and check it out.
I hope this info is useful - I know what a daunting decision it can be.
Good luck.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:36 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
I used to LOVE visiting Sturbridge, we often went to Sturbridge Village and if I remember when I was little there was a place called Basketville there and a place called Country Curtains that have a wonderful catalog.

Very pretty place.

The last time I went to Sturbridge Village, I was in my 20s and we were able to bring a dog with us, as long as we didn't take the dog into the buildings, it was a very nice day.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:17 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Basketville has closed, or moved... But country curtains is alive and well, just spent a fortune there a couple of months ago....Sturbridge village is having a hard time from what I hear. Hard time competing with the big amusement parks. It's a great place to visit!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 PM

12 posts, read 58,327 times
Default Great place to live

the smaller towns around sturbridge are a little bumpkin, but sturbridge is/was a great place to grow up and live...the "crime" comes from there being 3 major highways merging (20, 84, and the pike)...which makes it a drug traffic area, but as a kid growing up there, i hadn't a clue it was as bad as it is apparently...in other words it's not a problem that you will come across unless you go looking really...and whatever site told you "7 out of 10" that's a downright joke...the school system is TOP NOTCH...and sturbridge is a moderately well to do area....and commuting anywhere isn't that bad, you have the access right there, but if you're going to boston or hartford....gotta watch out for traffic....morning rush to boston i hear is really bad...anyways, i think you would be very happy in sturbridge...very nice area

Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 AM

180 posts, read 733,811 times
Most of the crime is bad drug people driving to and from NY with drugs in their car. No gang areas in sturbridge. It is well to do because I know. We share a new High school with 5 other towns and we pay more in taxes cause of it is based on per cap.income. All resident pay the same in taxes but as a town we pay more to the school cause we make more. also the housing market is a little better than surrounding towns except maybe charlton. there are like over 100 houses for sale in sturbridge and three in my neighborhood for sale.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:56 AM

10 posts, read 33,814 times
I think the high crime rate is attributed to the Mass Pike going through a portion of the town. Sturbridge has always been known has a nice place to live. With that being said, and more my tastes, Southbridge is MUCH to close to Sturbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts