Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:19 PM

7 posts, read 13,628 times

Advertisements

Moving to the East Coast
I am planning on moving to the East coast in a year or two. I have no idea where to begin to look for a place to live, so I’m looking for any opinion or suggestion you all can give. Here is a little information on what my family is about and what I’m looking for. I’m in my 30’s, married and have 2 young children. I want to live about an hour outside of Boston, not too close, not too far. I am a home health nurse and my husband is a real estate appraiser so it doesn’t matter where we live. I’d prefer to live further away from major metroways into Boston that have bad rush hours. I’d rather be in the boonies on country roads where traffic is less of an issue. But I don’t want to be so far in the boonies that I can’t stop by a Dunkin Donuts or get a mani-pedi. I have different ideas of ideal places to live. Looking at middle class-type areas. Somewhere that everyone wants to go to take a weekend vacation. Somewhere fun, and let me know why. I would love to see the ocean, but that’s not the biggest factor. I would love one to 5 acre lots (does this even exist? Maybe farm country?) Don’t care how new or old the construction is. Help me narrow down some options and give me an idea of some other things I should be asking about. And let me know why I’m going to love living there! Any comment is appreciated. Thanks. -Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:50 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,750 times
To help narrow it down: budget, (rent or buy) will kids be attending public school, and what's your definition of "fun"? What someone else might find fun, you might see as boring.

Last edited by Beachcomber4; 04-11-2010 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: misread oops should drink coffee before posting

Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
I was first inclined to tell you to look into Southcoast communities like Westport MA (though schools aren't great there if kids are an issue), Dartmouth and Fairhaven (schools are better in the latter two). These towns are around an hour from Boston (little more or less depending where in the town you live) and are right on the ocean. Furthermore, they're still undeveloped enough to find affordable land (5 acres or so) to build or live on. In fact, preservation of the existing farmland is a HUGE deal in these communities. You'd make friends quickly if you bought and lived on 5+ acres of farmland (and there's plenty of it). In short, yes, what you're looking for does exist.

Tiverton and Little Compton RI also fit the bill.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times
I'd look at Foster, Glocester, Smithfield, Rhode Island. Schools are good in these areas and you could get acreage.

1-5 acres nearer to the ocean will get very expensive. Little Compton RI and Westport Ma are nice but may be out of your price range- unless you have a very high price range that is.

What is your price range?

Old 04-11-2010, 02:58 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkldhering View Post

I am planning on moving to the East coast in a year or two. I have no idea where to begin to look for a place to live, so I’m looking for any opinion or suggestion you all can give.
Where do you live now? Why do you want to move?

Quote:

I am a home health nurse and my husband is a real estate appraiser so it doesn’t matter where we live.
You may need to re-think that strategy. I would strongly urge you to secure new jobs in the Greater Boston area prior to actually moving here.

While a home health nurse may always find work, the agencies and associations vary widely across the region and wages range across a broad spectrum. Your husband's job prospects are less bright, there is little demand for real estate appraisers.

I would focus a bit more on finding jobs first and then find a place to live that makes sense within a reasonable commuting distance.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times
A home health aide makes about 10/hr here in the region and an appraiser once he gets going can make $1000/wk. So you need to think about it some more it sounds like you will be in for a shock.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 PM

7 posts, read 13,628 times
Default Continued from parent post-Response

Thank you everyone for your replies! You've given me some things to think about. First of all, to add to the initial thread, I have no fear of moving out there. I'm from Minnesota, but my husband grew up in Boston (Winthrop) and we have family in the area. We've moved 15 times in the past and have lived all over the country, including upstate NY and Queens, NY. I'm not afraid of sticker shock, and we can live within our means (very flexible). I have no problem renting for a few years until we figure out exactly what we want to do. I know middle class here in Minneapolis is totally different than there, but I'm shooting for my dream place with this thread, not necessarily reality. Kids would attend public school. I realize living near the ocean will be pricey. I'd be willing to live within a half hour drive of the ocean. Still prefer acreage, but plan on renting in or near "the town" to take my time to shop houses. We have no intention of working in Boston. In fact we are avoiding it purposely. We'd rather work in the town we will move to, even if that means being a pizza delivery driver. We just want to be on the East coast closer to my husband's family. Our idea of "fun" is where people want to go to take a day trip away from Boston. Stuff like State parks or amusement parks, popular beaches, resort golf towns, unique shopping, county fairs, quintessential New England. Probably town population of 80,000 or smaller. If I want nightlife, sports or a big concert I'd be heading into Boston anyway. I really appreciate the advice! Thanks for reading, and please comment. Anything is helpful.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkldhering View Post
Our idea of "fun" is where people want to go to take a day trip away from Boston. Stuff like State parks or amusement parks, popular beaches, resort golf towns, unique shopping, county fairs, quintessential New England. Probably town population of 80,000 or smaller. If I want nightlife, sports or a big concert I'd be heading into Boston anyway. I really appreciate the advice! Thanks for reading, and please comment. Anything is helpful.
Plymouth/South Shore might be a good fit for you. Probably NOT metro-west.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,763 times
We are possibly moving to a new job for my husband which is located in Lowell, MA. We're from TX and am looking to buy 5+ acres, the further into the boonies the better for us. We don't do the "Mall" thing but rather like homey, smaller towns with history. Our average price/acre that we paid here is approx. $4K/acre. Is that price anything near the price range of land around Lowell. We don't have school age children so schools are not of importance to us. Any info on any/all towns around Lowell, especially in regards to PURCHASING LAND, will be appreciated. Oh...I forgot....I MUST have trees!! Yes, we DO have trees in Texas. LOL :-))) Thanks and have a blessed day.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM

325 posts, read 924,636 times
In eastern mass, think in terms of square feet, not acres, unless you are a millionaire. Plus, there isn't that much vacant land. I'd look for acregae up in New hampshire, which is not a bad commute to Lowell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts