Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM

115 posts, read 227,926 times

Advertisements

whtviper1...I didn't know there was turnover all the time. Although my husband was told today, there are always "contracting" positions. I've been checking indeed.com for the last 3 years and have only seen 2 positions in Maui, though maybe they didn't always post to indeed.

As to why this opportunity seems "beautiful"....from my hundreds of discussion with friends who often go, I have gathered it is slow paced, relaxing, and beautiful as far as the actual beauty of the island. We love the ocean. I feel a great sense of peace at the ocean. If I were extraordinarily rich, there are many beaches in CA I would love. But here, we are 35 minutes from the beach with no traffic, which is hardly ever. The beach here is pain to get to, and as I said before it is just too crowded and dirty here for us. Another thread suggested Maui can feel crowded as well...a concern for me. I can see a visit is important. Do a high percentage of people come over and feel unhappy with the reality of Maui? It seems from the threads, that most of you who live there, like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM

280 posts, read 473,503 times
As for housing, I can attest the homes in many areas are right on top of each other. Even for $2000/month you will have neighbors right next to you. The more desirable the location, the more people that live there. Upcountry will have more land between homes, but it comes at the price of a longer, more challenging commute for your vehicle.

Of the 3 offers your husband has, I would ensure that the Maui offer pays substantially more. Everything is imported and that translates to higher costs of doing business and getting stuff to the island.

The weather alone made the move worth it for me, I lived in Minnesota where there was TONS of opportunity for me, but the weather was terrible. My Maui employer wanted me on-island ASAP...they were super aggressive about getting me out here and I believe that is because most potential employees get scared away for whatever reason, island living, remote living, cost of living, who knows.

Either way read my post on if the grass is greener. I give a lot of good in the weeds information on questions you may not have even heard of.

And YES the centipedes are enormous here! So are the cane spiders.

You are probably going to want to camp, surf or hike and that all costs money to get into as well. There is plenty of free entertainment on the island that is more rewarding than the paid entertainment I get back home if you ask me. Aka going to a ball game back home was much more expensive than walking along a beach, hiking a mountain or enjoying a sunset.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanove View Post

As to why this opportunity seems "beautiful"....from my hundreds of discussion with friends who often go,
Keep in mind they are on vacation.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 PM

whtviper1...ha, point taken

maui-intoxicated...the housing doesn't sound appealing. So that is an even further reason, we should visit. Maybe that's the realization I needed today.
I did read your grass is greener post. Yours and another post by the nurse (justmovedtomaui) has given me much to think about. I was thinking I'd have space around my home. I guess I was also thinking I could handle most uncomfortable aspects for a couple years. As far as wanting employees out quickly, we are feeling a sense of "rush" that we haven't felt with the other interviews. WA is making us come up. HI said they'd hire off the phone interview, which surprised me. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts

Old 08-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
HI said they'd hire off the phone interview, which surprised me.
That is an indication they can't fill the position - or are challenged with filling the position locally - hence, there will always be this continuous need due to turnover.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM

From an old thread on why people would just randomly pick up and want to move to Hawaii without visiting first: posted by RugbyDave:
"What I mean to say is, growing up in Alaska, I noticed people moved there for similar reasons we see with Hawai'i (I call them both 'mythos' states, where there is this deep emotion to live there) - however, due to its insular nature, Hawai'i cannot just swallow up people who don't 'make it' - things on an island are heavily different than the mainland, and its partly why forums like this exist - to help people understand "hey, if things don't really pan out for you in Honolulu, it's not as simple as saying that you'll just move to Kihei and find a better job and cheaper housing" - each island/region/municipality has its own finite-ness, and this is something that people who don't grow up on an island understand. Granted I'd argue it's something pretty simple to learn, as is highlighted by the amount of non-Hawaiian-born people who move here and fit in great (e.g. HonuMan, KauaiHiker)."

When he called AK and HI 'mythos' states...I couldn't agree more. I remember fantasizing about Alaska while watching Northern Exposure when I was in high school.

I realize for those of you who live in HI, answering these posts must get exhausting? frustrating? For someone new, like myself, just dipping my toes into research, it is balancing to hear your comments. You are providing a good service for us dreamers.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM

whtviper1...just saw your book recommendation Sway: The Irrational Pull of Irrational Behavior
Sounds interesting and relevant.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
From an old thread on why people would just randomly pick up and want to move to Hawaii without visiting first: posted by RugbyDave:
"What I mean to say is, growing up in Alaska, I noticed people moved there for similar reasons we see with Hawai'i (I call them both 'mythos' states, where there is this deep emotion to live there) - however, due to its insular nature, Hawai'i cannot just swallow up people who don't 'make it' - things on an island are heavily different than the mainland, and its partly why forums like this exist - to help people understand "hey, if things don't really pan out for you in Honolulu, it's not as simple as saying that you'll just move to Kihei and find a better job and cheaper housing" - each island/region/municipality has its own finite-ness, and this is something that people who don't grow up on an island understand. Granted I'd argue it's something pretty simple to learn, as is highlighted by the amount of non-Hawaiian-born people who move here and fit in great (e.g. HonuMan, KauaiHiker)."
RugybyDave is a physician - and by his posts implies he is very well set financially and making well above $76K a year by himself. I'd keep that in mind.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:32 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,053,577 times
will you regret not trying to make the move if you don't come. will you always wonder, what if? as to folks saying there is always an opportunity to work in maui a few months from now or a year from now, is not always true. people who have jobs on the islands seem in general to keep their jobs for decades. some jobs here you only get if you know someone.

not many people here that are working class have land and space. most live in condos or small homes with close neighbors. housing and living conditions can not be compared to the choices you have on the mainland. most of us live very small and crowded, for the other things that maui offers that no where else does.

the islands are expensive, but that doesn't mean you can't live here and enjoy the island. nothing is ever easy. if you go for it, go for the adventure and keep enough money so you can get back home.

good luck to you.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:44 PM

whtviper1...in quoting RugbyDave, I was acknowledging his reference to HI as a 'mythos' state. I am taking that idea into consideration as I can admit to being an idealist. Will be looking to that book you mention either way

hothulamaui...I did think I would wonder "what if" and perhaps regret not going for this. I am actively looking at housing right now. I didn't realize houses were so close together. Hence I'm happy I came to city data. These threads are gems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui