Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:32 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,455,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
TwoByFour, that's an interesting way to look at the move during retirement! The dilemma for us is, do we want to pay the price for living in paradise, and accept the isolation you also get by living in Hawaii. Part of the problem is that we've lived well below our means for so many years, so it becomes harder to get out of that mindset. After all, you can't take the money with you when you die, and we're not saving it up to give to a nursing home. We both believe in quality of life, not trying to maximize the number of years, even if it meant living in pain.

We did like the Big Island much more than Maui or Oahu. I don't think that was because we visited the Big Island first. From the very first day while visiting, it really felt like a place I could live for a long time. But we are proceeding carefully, with another visit a little over a year from now, for a longer time period. I think it will require several visits over the next five years to be certain. If we still like it after that, we will rent for months during the winter in retirement, to be even more certain.

I'm not sure if the OP that started this thread is real, since post 1 was, our family of 5 will be moving to Maui soon. I think if someone was serious about making that kind of life changing event, especially during the working years, that more questions would have been asked before that post, and more questions asked after. However, I think some people can make life changing decisions very quickly, like 'shooting from the hip'. I'm just more cautious about making that type of change in my life.
What are you waiting 69 months for? Move to Hawaii right now!

You can continue to live well below your means, especially if you buy a house. Hawaii is a very low tax state if you're retired, and property values aren't that high on Hawaii Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 07:02 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,283,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What are you waiting 69 months for? Move to Hawaii right now!

You can continue to live well below your means, especially if you buy a house. Hawaii is a very low tax state if you're retired, and property values aren't that high on Hawaii Island.
I'm more cautious than that. If we suddenly lost our jobs, we could retire today where we live and snow bird in Florida, where the costs are much lower. Hawaii is one of the most expensive places to live, and retiring later will allow me to have a higher income during retirement than I am making while working. My work is so easy for me and the stress is very low. I consider retirement more as freedom from Minnesota winters than freedom from working. It might be possible for me to work remotely after my wife retires (before I retire), at least in the winters.

There are upsides and downsides to everywhere, including Hawaii. I have less than 6 years left to work, which isn't that long. When you get older, the months go by faster.

It will take more visits to determine if snowbirding and possibly moving to Hawaii is right for us. The Big Island is currently a top contender over Florida or SoCA now. We'll see how we will feel about it after the next visit to the Big Island in about 14 months. The next visit will be much longer. Meanwhile, we'll be visiting SoCA again in a couple months and we need to visit Florida again.

Besides that, we also have Australia and New Zealand on our bucket list for vacations. Although, those places are strictly vacation areas, not retirement locations.

The fact that Hawaii is a low tax state is absolutely a consideration, since Minnesota is a high tax state, especially for people who retire and are in a higher tax bracket. We want to sure to make the right future life changing decisions. We have the time and the patience required as my countdown drops each and every month.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 8,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Aloha, and welcome to the forum.

Be sure to spend time plenty of time reading through the archives here. You have serious homework to do before you will know enough to even to ask the right questions about Hawai'i.
Thanks! I've been lurking around the forum for months now and just now decided I should join. As you said, I still don't even have questions yet. Love reading about everyone's plans and experiences, though!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalenalea View Post
Aloha!! My husband has accepted a job in Maui and we are relocating from Indiana all the way to Maui! WOW - huh? Yeah that is what I thought! We have 3 boys- ages 10-7-and 2! I'm excited for the adventure and think it is going to be a great move for our family! I was just curious if there is anyone out there that could offer some advice on things I am concerned about and possibly when we get there would like to have dinner! Kind of looking for a friendly face when we get situated! I worry about the loneliness of no family or friends! Thanks so much for reading this and hoping to hear from a friendly soul - looking to make some great friends!
I am so jealous of you and your family. My husband I were just in Maui the last week of June and we did not want to come back home to St Louis. I know you are looking for help with Maui and I am not the one to give it to you. I just wanted to say I'm so jealous.
Maybe we will get a chance to move there, it's always been my dream to live in Hawaii.

Good luck with your move and I hope it's everything you hope and dream it to be.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,782,138 times
Quote:
It will take more visits to determine if snowbirding and possibly moving to Hawaii is right for us. The Big Island is currently a top contender over Florida or SoCA now. We'll see how we will feel about it after the next visit to the Big Island in about 14 months. The next visit will be much longer. Meanwhile, we'll be visiting SoCA again in a couple months and we need to visit Florida again.
My wife and I are Snowbirding - 8-9 months Maui, 3-4 months in WA state. It is not easy for a variety of reasons. And it gets expensive. We started because we both had trouble cutting our ties to the state where most of our friends are, and where we lived for 32 years. So we go back for the summer and see friends, do things you can't do here in Maui, see our docs and dentists, and then come back. But it is hard on our poor old dog, who is 11, and we drag back and forth with us. And we basically have to duplicate our entire lives in each house, which is expensive. And we have to have someone keep an eye on the house while we are away, or in the case of Maui, maintain the property. There are lots of other issues too. I am not sure how long this will last but for now it is fun.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:30 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,455,664 times
Quote:
I'm more cautious than that. If we suddenly lost our jobs, we could retire today where we live and snow bird in Florida, where the costs are much lower. Hawaii is one of the most expensive places to live, and retiring later will allow me to have a higher income during retirement than I am making while working. My work is so easy for me and the stress is very low. I consider retirement more as freedom from Minnesota winters than freedom from working. It might be possible for me to work remotely after my wife retires (before I retire), at least in the winters.

There are upsides and downsides to everywhere, including Hawaii. I have less than 6 years left to work, which isn't that long. When you get older, the months go by faster.

Besides that, we also have Australia and New Zealand on our bucket list for vacations. Although, those places are strictly vacation areas, not retirement locations.

The fact that Hawaii is a low tax state is absolutely a consideration, since Minnesota is a high tax state, especially for people who retire and are in a higher tax bracket. We want to sure to make the right future life changing decisions. We have the time and the patience required as my countdown drops each and every month.
Aren't the nice parts of Florida much more expensive than the Big Island? And why would you snow bird to Florida? Winter is still cold there, and you won't be able to swim in the ocean without a thick wetsuit

Old 12-02-2013, 08:47 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,283,149 times
Quote:
Aren't the nice parts of Florida much more expensive than the Big Island? And why would you snow bird to Florida? Winter is still cold there, and you won't be able to swim in the ocean without a thick wetsuit
Snowbirding in Florida is an option. The weather is not as nice and consistent as the Big Island. There's no state income tax in Florida, which is huge advantage since we are in a high income tax bracket and will pay a heavy tax price even in retirement with the retirement account withdraws.

Swimming is fun and so are water sports. The water is unbelievably clear on the Big Island. However, gardening is more important. Sometimes Florida has frost, which is a problem for gardeners. Today, we have snow on the ground in Minnesota and bad driving conditions. We will have sub-zero temperatures to follow by the end of the week. This is a real downer for people that love to garden! Hurricanes are a reoccurring threat too for Florida, although Florida lucked out last year. The cost of living is lower in Florida than Minnesota. However, the costs are rising in Florida from past years, with insurance costs for floods, wind, homeowners, and sink holes. Property taxes in Florida are higher for new arrivals than long time residents.

I can drive to Florida from Minnesota. I've done it three times. It is cheaper to fly there too. It would be easier to move our cat there too. The weather is frequently very nice in Florida in the winter, so is SoCA. However, the weather in Hawaii is absolutely hands down better, no question at all. The people in Hawaii are amazingly friendly, unlike anywhere I have ever been. There's upsides and downsides to anywhere, including Hawaii. There is absolutely a price for paradise both in money and isolation. It's not a matter of if we can afford it, it's a matter of are we willing to spend what it takes. There's a huge difference when you can approach it from that angle. So, it's going to take time to make the right decision. My wife and I talk about retirement every day. We've been doing that for over ten years. Planning and researching for retirement is not going to stop any time soon. I look forward to our next visit to the Big Island, a little over a year from now.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 PM

569 posts, read 781,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
And we basically have to duplicate our entire lives in each house, which is expensive. And we have to have someone keep an eye on the house while we are away, or in the case of Maui, maintain the property. There are lots of other issues too. I am not sure how long this will last but for now it is fun.
Would it be easier and less costly to sell your home and most of your belongings in WA, put the essentials in storage and rent something furnished for the few months you're there?

These are the things we struggle with as we look to ramp up our Maui time over the next year or so.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Unlike Maui, where you now need armor plating to swim in the ocean without losing a leg to a local shark.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Would it be easier and less costly to sell your home and most of your belongings in WA, put the essentials in storage and rent something furnished for the few months you're there?

These are the things we struggle with as we look to ramp up our Maui time over the next year or so.
At this point we have borne most of the expense. The WA is house is pretty cheap to leave empty, probably less than we would pay for storage. The biggest loss is that it ties up money - it represents an investment with no liquid return. For us, and most retired people, the primary goal of investments is cash flow to live on rather than generating capital gains. Our problem is we cannot pull the trigger - it is our escape hatch if we decide we cannot stand Maui, or if the economy totally goes down the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui