Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,632 times

Advertisements

Aloha!! My husband has accepted a job in Maui and we are relocating from Indiana all the way to Maui! WOW - huh? Yeah that is what I thought! We have 3 boys- ages 10-7-and 2! I'm excited for the adventure and think it is going to be a great move for our family! I was just curious if there is anyone out there that could offer some advice on things I am concerned about and possibly when we get there would like to have dinner! Kind of looking for a friendly face when we get situated! I worry about the loneliness of no family or friends! Thanks so much for reading this and hoping to hear from a friendly soul - looking to make some great friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 PM

337 posts, read 613,728 times
I'm suprised OpenD or the other regulars haven't gotten here yet, but like they'll probably tell you, the search feature can answer alot of your questions. From shipping/moving/cost of living/areas to live/rental advise etc etc.

If you can find what you need, then just post your questions and someone will get to it

Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,775,641 times
I am guessing that 95% of what you want to know has been discussed here in the past, and probably more than once. Best shipping company, how to get your car here, will it get damaged, importing a dog, where to live, who sells the best tomatoes, Maui schools, Maui traffic, and my favorite, how much underwear to bring over (I am serious, this was discussed at one time).

Anyway, lots of experience here to draw from.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:36 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am guessing that 95% of what you want to know has been discussed here in the past, and probably more than once. Best shipping company, how to get your car here, will it get damaged, importing a dog, where to live, who sells the best tomatoes, Maui schools, Maui traffic, and my favorite, how much underwear to bring over (I am serious, this was discussed at one time).
And rice. We like to talk about rice a lot.

Quote:
Anyway, lots of experience here to draw from.
Aloha Kalenalea, and welcome.

As MitchTempo and TwoByFour have already said, there is a wealth of information already posted here, and I recommend you spend as much time as you possibly can reading the material in the archives, and using the Search feature to zero in on specifics that match your wants and needs. Feel free to ask questions at any time, but keep in mind, since life in Hawai'i is different in at least 1,022 ways (at last count) from almost anyplace else you might ever have lived, you don't (I mean, nobody really does) know the right questions to ask until you've actually done some homework.

Don't forget to read the TOS (Terms of Service), conveniently found in the "Sticky thread" at the top of each forum. Once you've read that, you'll probably be able to figure out how I know you haven't read it yet.

Anyway, the adventure is coming at you fast, from what you said, so dig in to the research and let us know what you need help understanding. Most of us here are pretty friendly and fairly helpful. Especially if you have questions about rice.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,279,984 times
Have you ever been to Maui before? Hawaii is very different than Indiana in many ways. The cost of living, especially for a family of five will be pretty high there compared to Indiana.

You should set up Skype on your extended family, friends, and your computers before you move. Video chatting on Skype is so much better than just talking on the telephone. We kept in contact with my wife's extended family while they were in Vietnam for years with Skype. We also tried a couple of Skype's competitors, but we found the Skype worked the best. The Skype computer to computer video calls are free with no time limits.

People in Hawaii really like to eat rice there, as OpenD mentioned. I brought my 14 cup rice cooker with me on my recent visit. Although two places we stayed at had small rice cookers as standard kitchen appliances. We didn't eat at restrauants very often there on the Big Island or Maui, but I did have rice at McDonald's in Waikiki; it was one of their breakfast items, along with spam!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Have you ever been to Maui before? Hawaii is very different than Indiana in many ways. The cost of living, especially for a family of five will be pretty high there compared to Indiana.

You should set up Skype on your extended family, friends, and your computers before you move. Video chatting on Skype is so much better than just talking on the telephone. We kept in contact with my wife's extended family while they were in Vietnam for years with Skype. We also tried a couple of Skype's competitors, but we found the Skype worked the best. The Skype computer to computer video calls are free with no time limits.

People in Hawaii really like to eat rice there, as OpenD mentioned. I brought my 14 cup rice cooker with me on my recent visit. Although two places we stayed at had small rice cookers as standard kitchen appliances. We didn't eat at restaurants very often there on the Big Island or Maui, but I did have rice at McDonald's in Waikiki; it was one of their breakfast items, along with spam!
Do they still have Saimin on the menu?

Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 8,835 times
Wow! How exciting for you!!
We are a family of 5 in Indiana, too! We've been discussing a move to a tropical location, Maui appeals in theory, but we've never been there. Have you been? Where are you from in IN? What are you most excited and most worried about?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:26 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
but I did have rice at McDonald's in Waikiki;
You realize that rice increases your risk of diabetes substantially? Stay away.

White rice increases diabetes risk, scientists say | Fox News

Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times
Quote:
Hawaii is very different than Indiana in many ways.
I've never been to Indiana, so I'll have to take your word for it

(But it is friggin cold here this morning)

Old 11-25-2013, 01:20 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,279,984 times
I occasionally eat white rice. Usually I eat Minnesota wild rice. I switched to wild rice several years ago. I don't remember seeing salmon on the menu at McDonalds (I think that is what you meant). The McDonald's menu did look a lot different than the menu in the mainland. When I got home, it was 40 degrees. That felt very cold to me because I was starting to get used to the weather in Hawaii. For Minnesota, this time of the year, 40 degrees is considered a heat wave. It's been colder more recently and there's already a thin layer of ice on our lake. I'm already hunkering down, staying inside whenever possible, with the heat cranked up to 73 degrees.

I've been through Indiana many times while traveling around the midwest. The winters there aren't as bad as Minnesota. One of my co-workers grew up in Indiana.

The only place I thought it was cold in Hawaii was at the Volcano National Park on the Big Island. I did not have my coat and long pants there at the time. There was a nasty cold wind blowing through the area. The summit on Maui was about 59, very little wind, and didn't feel very cold in the sunshine. Although I was wearing jeans and a hoodie that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui