Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 PM

293 posts, read 363,843 times

Advertisements

Twobyfour, I think my situation tends to parallel yours in a way. Funny thing is, I was born in WA. hate the state after trying to live there several times I gave up on it. I own a house in TX that I have been trying to sell since things have bottomed out. Bought another house in OR. wish that I had went straight to Hawai'i instead.

At the time five years ago I had just remarried, I am batting 70 and my wife is 44 years younger than I. We now have a three year old and she tells me she wants to move to Hawai"i. Had I known this then. I would have. I am military retired so, Ohau would probably be our best location because of the military bases, doctors, shopping etc.

We make good money, but this house in TX is killing us. If we can ever get rid of it, I think I would be up to doing what you are. Live here part time and find a place there that we can live in part time. We can fly back and forth for free, though we are about six or seven hours in two directions from a base here. Nothing like being in the middle.

By doing it this way, should something happen to me in the next few years my wife and child will still have a place to come back to live and it be cheaper for them. In the mean time we could enjoy a few years in Hawai'i. I was stationed there for a year back in the 60's prior to going to Viet Nam so I know what it's like, though there will be a lot of changes.

What did you do when you moved over there? Do you maintain the same place all the time and what does it cost you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:59 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post

What did you do when you moved over there? Do you maintain the same place all the time and what does it cost you?
We own, so property taxes, house insurance, and utilities which I leave on. Probably totals $6k/year, whether we are there or not.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 PM

217 posts, read 641,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
We make good money, but this house in TX is killing us. If we can ever get rid of it, I think I would be up to doing what you are. Live here part time and find a place there that we can live in part time. We can fly back and forth for free, though we are about six or seven hours in two directions from a base here. Nothing like being in the middle.
where in texas (you can pm me!) just curious - and had already repped you so couldn't do it that way!

Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 PM

293 posts, read 363,843 times
I have a place out on the lake about eight miles from Bandera, TX in the Hill Country. Which is about forty miles NW of San Antonio or about a 45 minute drive to SA.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:46 AM

107 posts, read 164,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalenalea View Post
Aloha!! My husband has accepted a job in Maui and we are relocating from Indiana all the way to Maui! WOW - huh? Yeah that is what I thought! We have 3 boys- ages 10-7-and 2! I'm excited for the adventure and think it is going to be a great move for our family! I was just curious if there is anyone out there that could offer some advice on things I am concerned about and possibly when we get there would like to have dinner! Kind of looking for a friendly face when we get situated! I worry about the loneliness of no family or friends! Thanks so much for reading this and hoping to hear from a friendly soul - looking to make some great friends!

Can I go with you? Do you need a babysitter or dog walker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui