Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 05:48 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
I would add racial tensions to that list. White folks are a minority in Hawaii, though Maui is probably the whitest island. Being a minority and everything that comes with it in Hawaii doesn't sit well with some. Not sure if it forces people to move but certainly can be an issue. I wouldn't underestimate island fever. Even local kids leave because of it. Living is different than visiting. It's not a perpetual vacation and eventually the shine and excitement wears off.
The last two sentences need to be repeated in lots of places. I saw the same attitude living in Montana. People fell in love with it on vacation and soon realized you still need to work, deal with a boss, deal with cost of living, kids' education, and make new friends. These "paradise" locations are not always as great as they seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 05:17 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The last two sentences need to be repeated in lots of places. I saw the same attitude living in Montana. People fell in love with it on vacation and soon realized you still need to work, deal with a boss, deal with cost of living, kids' education, and make new friends. These "paradise" locations are not always as great as they seem.
The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:29 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill.
Especially when you're wearing rose colored glasses.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:55 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Unkempt sums it up nicely. Sad, though.
Meh. Not sad, just different than your standards.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:37 PM

54 posts, read 41,117 times
Mxg67 Wrote: Living is different than visiting. It's not a perpetual vacation and eventually the shine and excitement wears off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

^Very true. For a lot of people I think it is part of the vacation experience to imagine the "what if" I moved here...this could be my lifestyle, etc. Then to go on to compare and contrast the place to where you are original from, or other places they you've spent time visiting, or living.

Obviously your mindset on vacation (if you're doing it right) is a lot more relaxed and stress free. If you're not working, paying bills, dealing with problem friends or relatives, etc. You're in a bubble. I love that bubble, but it rarely stops me from noticing the negatives of the location. A lot of the negatives can be attributed to a segment of the population (those living there, and those also visiting), other negatives might be part of the geographic location, etc. You almost always get a more realistic view of a place the more times you revisit it. There are places in Hawaii, as well as other places where I have seen both the shine and the not so shiny bits. Reality creeps in especially if you are really trekking around to see as much of the place as you can during your visit.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:53 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Meh. Not sad, just different than your standards.
Nope different AND sad, very sad.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:44 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Nope different AND sad, very sad.
Doesn't look sad to me, looks like working people just living their lives. You'll find them all over the states, and the world. Many are quite content and happy people.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:03 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Doesn't look sad to me, looks like working people just living their lives. You'll find them all over the states, and the world. Many are quite content and happy people.
I get you can be content and happy without living in a perfect, manicured community. Latin America is like that....but still....is it really that much effort to have some nice plants out in front and not park the cars in the front yard? Yes, I get parts of the island are dry, but there are low maintenance, low water use plants.

Like I said, Tucson, AZ was the same way, and I just never understood why people let things be so unkempt.

Your surroundings do have an effect on your psyche.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:06 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Slovenly, and prideless, to a T.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:35 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Slovenly, and prideless, to a T.
Over the years I've traveled far and wide to many, many places, both in and well beyond the US.

Slovenly and unkempt never looked 'charming' no matter where it was.
IMO it often is the harbinger of 'unclean'.

I live in a wonderful, beautiful and well kept community now.
It gets it's share of out of state visitors but is a great place to live.
I am blessed and hope the OP chooses wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui