Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 41,170 times

Advertisements

As for the quarantine...we did the "Pre-quarantine" method of getting all the shots, exams and tags and then waiting 120 days before we arrived in Oahu. All pets (BTW) have to fly to Oahu first. Our girls (Chihuahuas) were fine in the cabin and we made it safely to the W Hotel in Waikiki. It's the ONLY...I repeat ONLY pet friendly hotel in the state!

The real problem begins AFTER you get here. Housing is a terrible problem for pet owners. I was extremely lucky to find a nice little place in Kihei where the dogs (hereafter known as "the girls") can run and play in a back yard. We were trying to move to Paia and it's depressing as hell. It's very, very difficult to find anyone to rent to pet owners.
You can see for yourself by checking out the classifieds in the Maui News
(http://www.mauinews.com) (broken link). That, and Craigslist.org are where all the local rentals happen. NP means no pets. You'll see a lot of that.

If you don't have pets there are lots of cute places to rent and housing is readily available. Get ready for stickershock. Prices here are hard to comprehend at first but you get used to paying $5 for a gal. of milk and $3.15 for regular gas.

It's paradise on Earth but it comes with a high price tag. Just be aware.

Aloha and Bon Chance
TheMacGuy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,190 times
How large are your dogs? ATA allows pets to fly in the cabin to Hawaii if they can fit in a carrier small enough to go under the seat in front of you. Good luck to you. I am flying to Maui next Dec. or Jan with my cats. I'm dreading the whole process.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 AM

65 posts, read 432,513 times
I have checked and the cruise ships will not let the dogs get off the ship. So it is a round trip thing.

Now what I did discover is this...I called a private jet company. It is between 50-60K to get a jet round trip to Hawaii and back.

But here is the intesting part. If they can get someone to pick up the return flight, then you can get the jet for 30K. OK still sounds like alot right? Well the jet holds 18 people. The animals ride right inside the jet with you. Now if there were 18 people, the animals would have to be caged but if you do the math, it's not expensive. So you would have to get to California and then get a group of people to commit to pay their portion of the flight. It would be $1,600 a person including their animals

That is not too expensive when you think about it!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 18,342 times
Default hawaii pet quarantine

We've been living in Hawaii for the past 10 years and we're going to the mainland with our cat. He's been sick, had seizures for the past two years, but we've got them under control, albeit by medicine. For our return to Hawaii, anyone know if while our cat is being held at the airport they would administer meds if they were in a syringe?

The private jet idea seems great if we could find a seat back to Hawaii. Do you still have do the quarantine process? I'm afraid I be a complete wreck at the airport trying to pick up our cat.

Mahalo for any advice

Old 03-24-2007, 12:59 PM

I am going to just guess on this one but I would think that they will not adminster medication to your cat because of liability. From what I am reading, the animals are held for only 4 hrs if you have all the documentation with you. I would just call your vet and ask them and also call the quarantine place in Hawaii. Tell them you are leaving and how long you will be gone,etc. They can probably guide you in the right direction.

I think you can probably stay with your cat so you could probably do the medication yourself.

I won't be chartering the plane til next May (or around there).

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 18,342 times
Mahalo Island Sunshine,

Does that mean that if we were to take a private jet my cat wouldn't have to go through quarantine?

Old 03-24-2007, 10:26 PM

Well none of them have to go through quarantine if they have all the paperwork from your vet, etc. It is just like a 4 hr. delay where they check them in. That is on any carrier. Private or Commercial. Your cat can go right on the plane and stay with you on a commercial jet. You won't have to give up your cat. Just call your vet and call the quartine place. I am sure you can take your cat with you and put it under the seat in a carrier.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 41,170 times
Default Airlines and quarantine

Hi Folks,
Make sure you check with your particular airlines about pets in the cabin to Hawaii. I think only United, ATA and Hawaiian Airlines let them make that part of the journey in the cabin.

Make sure you get in touch with your vet at least 5 months prior to the move if you want to avoid quarantine.

Aloha and good luck
TheMacGuy

Old 04-10-2007, 05:33 AM

TheMacGuy~

HI! I thought I remembered hearing that they opened a pet quarantine center in Maui and now pets can go there directly and then be released in 4 hrs?

Do you have a number I could call to check on all the protocal for this? I am planning to move next summer so I am just about a year out and want to start to get all my info together.

Thanks!
BTW my dogs each weigh 60-70# which is why in cabin is not an option and I am not putting them in cargo. (too many deaths) so we are renting a private jet. (see my previous post about the costs)

Old 04-18-2007, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 42,190 times
Neither United or American will allow ANY PETS in the cabin of the plane to Hawaii unless they are a service animal (i.e. guide dog)

I'm checking with DOA in Hawaii now regarding the release station in Kahalui.

We would be interested with anyone who would want to share an open leg private jet to Hawaii. We have a home there already (Maui) and would be coming from Boston. The obvious jump point would be from California to the islands for a jet returning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui