Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Bonnie - Wink no longer lives on Maui.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 PM

100 posts, read 269,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLivinNCities View Post
Way to many people in a very very very small area with horrible traffic and kind of "prissy, professional" new culture coming in. Just not my scene anymore.
Just be thankful you are not moving to Oahu as you pretty much described it in a nutshell with that sentence

Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniecake View Post
I would want to find housing before I relocate; just starting the process. Thank you.
Welcome.

One of the common themes here is, don't rent or buy anything sight unseen.

A good approach is to look for a vacation rental for a month in the area you're interested, to give you time to do a good search in person. VRBO is a popular way to find those vacation rentals.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
OPenD gives a totally correct hint. And if for some reason you feel compelled to sign a lease sight unseen (DON'T), make sure there is an escape clause that states that the lease is based upon your right to inspect the property after your arrival and prior to moving in, and if it fails your approval, you will be refunded your full prepaid rent and deposit. (But good luck getting that included it the lease.)

Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM

90 posts, read 296,767 times
No to the first two questions.
Kula is the closest you can get to the summit.
You can get to the other islands by plane. There are no fairies(except to Lanai), no bridges, etc.
55k is good for someone single with no kid. You'll be alright.
Beach, beach, beach.
It's an island. Of course you'll run out of stuff to do. That's when you go back and start from the beginning, or just find new things to entertain you.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Huh? This thread is like 2-3 years old. I think the OP figured it out by now.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:17 AM

Yeah well I'm not looking at the date in the OP and other people may have the same questions. Not to mention other people are still answering. So who cares? At least my post was relevant and added value to the discussion...

Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlene View Post
At least my post was relevant and added value to the discussion...
Exactly. The Admins encourage people to update old threads. You did good.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM

242 posts, read 391,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlene View Post
You can get to the other islands by plane. There are no fairies(except to Lanai).
I had to do a double-take as when I read 'fairies', I was thinking Peter Pan and then I realized it was Hawaii's education system at work.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Can he live in Makawao or is that too far from work?
Makawao is probably the best option. It's an hour away from Haleakala and 15 minutes away from town. You can't get any closer unless you live in Kula and that will cost you an arm and a leg because they count the houses there as mountain and ocean view. Plus, living there would only cut your drive time down by 115-20 minutes. You'd be closer to work but further from everything else like shops, the grocery store, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Do you have much intell on the "bug" scene upcountry Maui? Are there scorpions, black widows, brown recluse, centipedes, tarantulas, vigaroons,red ants, wasps, bees, and most of all, mosquitoes???
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegeemaree View Post
vigaroons (I googled it...) are a type of scorpion - lots of scorpions in Hawaii?
Yes, but not Upcountry. You can find the scorpions in hot weather which would be in Kihei and Lahaina.

Upcountry is wetlands so you'd get a lot of mosquitos. No scorpions, black widows, etc. but we do have cane spiders(the big, brown spiders) up here. Lots of centipedes, especially in the summer. Some red ants but mostly just black ants that bite. There are a lot of trees up here so there are lots of bees and wasps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
I had to do a double-take as when I read 'fairies', I was thinking Peter Pan and then I realized it was Hawaii's education system at work.
It was actually an autocorrect feature made by someone on the mainland on a device manufactured in the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui