Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 09:12 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that the language used in reporting nowadays is just terrible? Misspellings, incorrect use of words, incoherent sentences in newspapers, etc..., are commonplace. I find this is true whether it's a conservative or liberal news outlet. Do they no longer employ proofreaders or editors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 09:19 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Yes.

I've often seen misspellings and homonym flubs in article titles, even. I don't profess to have perfect grammar and usage here; but then again, this is not a paid employment situation. The quality of "professionally" written articles these days is often pretty bad--sometimes embarrassing (at least it should be for the writers).

Old 10-16-2021, 09:25 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
No, they don't. So many newspapers are owned by huge corporations (Gannett, Digital First Media) who have decimated the newsroom. The layers of checks and balances in the newsroom are much thinner. Older reporters, educated in journalism schools, members of the Guild, with years of experience, are being shoved out. And while young journalists are key to the survival of the industry, there's no one to teach them in the newsroom - if the newsroom property hasn't been sold - because those layers of editing are gone.

Speed is valued over accuracy, too.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:30 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
It's terrible.
Unreadable.
Cringeworthy.
Obviously, I'm no professional but I don't get paid to type stuff.

Modern... uh, "journalism" is just plain bad and poorly written. On top of that, it's nothing more than opinions. They don't even try to tell the other side usually. Actually, the Fox website does, but we're not supposed to make them look like the legitimate ones.
Then there's that Twitter feed nonsense in the middle of the story. Can we just end that already?

It's bad enough that trained, supposedly educated journalists can't write a coherent sentence, so why do we have to put up with a bunch of shorthand written by drunken rank amateurs after an all-night kegger on top of that?
Also, would it kill them to edit out the profanity? I'm no prude, but that's just crass and unprofessional.

Already bad journalism+twitter feed= the downfall of western civilization.

Last edited by sub; 10-16-2021 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-16-2021, 09:56 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
I twitch wildly at the number of typos and grammatical errors I see in print news. I took a couple years of journalism, and sometimes giggle when I think of one of my teachers in particular, who was so anal-retentive about proofreading and justification that I’m certain he’s dropped dead of a heart attack due to the current state of bozo journalism.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:39 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Yes. The standards have dropped so low for those woking in that industry that it's hard to take anything seriously these days. All I think is "what idiot wrote this? what idiot edited this? what idiot actually did the investigation into this?" and from there I assume it's mostly made up, facts be damned, to appeal to whoever they want to appeal to.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:33 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the language used in reporting nowadays is just terrible? Misspellings, incorrect use of words, incoherent sentences in newspapers, etc..., are commonplace. I find this is true whether it's a conservative or liberal news outlet. Do they no longer employ proofreaders or editors?
We no longer employ quality journalists. Not in mainstream media.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:01 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
We no longer employ quality journalists. Not in mainstream media.

You havent see anything yet. If Trump should win and take over. He will have his way with threats and intimidation, to broadcast only state controlled media. His agenda now is revenge. Policies will have to take a backseat. A vindictive, narcissist sociopath is no one to **** off. The wise Repubs will separate themselves from this.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:39 PM

930 posts, read 333,948 times
The quality of writing generally has gone far downhill. Where are the engaging columnists like Mencken, Mike Royko, and Safire?

When you see a newspaper go bust, watch to see how many of their people go on to other writing jobs. Most of them go on to take jobs as government PR bureaucrats. From the old Seattle Post-Intelligencer, I know of only one who went on to another writing job. That was Phuong Cat Le, who went to the AP, and was an excellent writer.

Out of dozens of writers and reporters, only one. The others all went to various jobs in gov't bureaucracy.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:44 PM

930 posts, read 333,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
You havent see anything yet. If Trump should win and take over. He will have his way with threats and intimidation, to broadcast only state controlled media. His agenda now is revenge. Policies will have to take a backseat. A vindictive, narcissist sociopath is no one to **** off. The wise Repubs will separate themselves from this.
Based on what? Historically it is invariably Democrats who have tried to intimidate and control media. Remember the nasty letter from Senate Dems to Rush Limbaugh's syndicator? (Limbaugh later auctioned the letter, raising $4.2 million for wounded vets & cops). Remember Obama's proposal to put gov't monitors in newsrooms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media