Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 06:04 AM

14 posts, read 53,910 times

Advertisements

That are not a huge commute to town? Or are all the satellite towns all new and 'strip mall' laden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:56 AM

845 posts, read 2,541,746 times
Check out Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett, Lakeland, Arlington, Millington, Olive Branch, Southaven, Hernando, Marion, Oakland, etc....

There are several nice suburbs around Memphis.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:57 AM

201 posts, read 636,403 times
"quaint LITTLE towns", NOT a huge commute ???

NONE, that would not be a 'huge commute' (using your term of 'quaint', little, and a town itself)
Memphis area is a very large land mass, and very spread out, so driving is an awful task (not as bad as Houston or Miami mind you), but complicated by hoards of locals who can't or won't drive properly....lol...at least in ATL like on 285, the locals will get out of your way ! ditto Houston

Old 06-27-2010, 01:27 PM

80 posts, read 267,459 times
Hmmm...what is your definition of a huge commute, KaLioMele? It might be different from the folks around here. Also, what part of Memphis would you be driving to most? That might affect the answer you'd get. For example, if you would mostly be driving into the east area of town, you can find little towns in Fayette County that you might consider a good match for what you're looking for, that wouldn't be too large a commute for you.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:15 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,404 times
Marion, AR
Arlington, TN
Covington, TN
Somerville, TN
Hernando, MS

Old 06-27-2010, 04:47 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,048 times
Coldwater, MS

Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,470 times
brighton came to mind right away. i would also look into the town of brownsville. it has some beautiful homes, maintains a very southern town feel, and a good deal of old money farms and families. some really nice architecture demonstrated in both neo and post gothic, good deal of gothic revival, 3rd and 4th qts, some good colonial revival, and at least one good example of italianate revival. out of town, try robenett lane. it is at the 2nd brownsville exit off I-40. head directly toward brownsville, when you see the large plantation house on the hill on the left, the lane will come up almost immediately as you pass the house. it turns left only. remember, however, the best way to see the older interesting houses in brownsville would be to take the first brownsville exit, at McD's and DQ. head directly into the town. you will come to a major T-intersection. there is a convenience store on the left. the street has 4 lanes, if i am remembering correctly. turn right and you will go down to the square, turn left and it leads you to ripley/covington. that street has many beautiful homes both ways. there are interesting cottages over two or three streets near and around 1st united methodist church and the local episcopal church. it is a pretty drive and area in the fall. brownsville is known for its civic pride, clean streets, and afternoon teas. somerville is a much smaller version of brownsville. there are some beautiful large mid 19th century homes which sit on the west side of summerville, just a street or two from the downtown area.

hernando, ms would be one on my suggestions, too. holley springs, ms might be worth a slow drive over just to see how things are laid out. rust college is there. you might enjoy bolivar, tn. beautiful churches, the campus of the old western state hospital is there, downtown is okay. road improvements are taking place. it is about a 40 minute drive in to the city limits.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM

455 posts, read 1,558,929 times
Brunswick, for close and easy to the Big M. Nobody's mentioned it. For farther away, you also have LaGrange and Grand Junction, but for personal reasons I'd just as soon those not get crowded just yet.

King, I can see you know Brownsville. I'm up that way a lot in the Winter. You have two ways to get there. I-40's the quickest, but there's the scenic way - Covington Pike north to Methodist North Hospital then east on Austin-Peay Hy, #14 to #54 on into Brownsville.

There is a BBQ place there that's currently the BEST in the whole Mid-South including Memphis.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,398 times
You really need to clarify what you consider a huge commute, and what part of town you are commuting to! Quaint towns include; Collierville, Germantown, Bartlett, Olive Branch..... lots of choices!!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:31 PM

173 posts, read 323,333 times
seconding C-mom and everyone else...define huge commute. the first things that came to my mind were bolivar (love love love the asylum archeture. arhitcuture. damn it. love the building.), somerville, and holly springs. all kinda far, but don't have the strip malls that seem to be taking over in o.b., covington, etc.

ginsaw- you talking about that bozo bbq place? i'm not saying they are bozo's, but the name of it is something that sounds like bozo. I stopped in there and had a cup of coffee once. had a very very small town southern feel to it, complete with sterotypical bee-hive wearing, gum chewing waitress. i found the entire experience charming and quaint. =) couldn't tell you how their food is, tho. i think even the coffee came with a fatback on the side. =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis