Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM

47 posts, read 116,202 times

Advertisements

Don't rule out White Station Elementary or Grahamwood. G'wood might not look as good on paper, until you get how the Optional program works. It's basically a school within a school, yet the test scores reported are for the entire school. You have to pass a test to get into the program. My older son is in the 4th grade there. I toured White Station Elem. 3 years ago and liked what I heard/saw. Since then I've heard there is a new principal and things are even better.

If you want to live in Memphis and send your kids to public school your best bet is to make sure you're in the White Station Middle School district. It's tough to transfer into this one as it's in high demand, so it's best to live in that area. There are a few good elementary schools, but not many good middle schools in the area.

This might help East Memphis Moms | Be in the know, feel like a SuperMom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 20,870 times
Awesome info guys.

So just so I'm clear on the White station school info: for the optional program, even if you live in the boundaries there are still no guarantees that you'll get into the optional program?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:55 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Jr Shabadoo View Post
Awesome info guys.

So just so I'm clear on the White station school info: for the optional program, even if you live in the boundaries there are still no guarantees that you'll get into the optional program?

All your child has to do is pass the test and your in the optional program. Transfering in is a little harder due to so many trying to get in.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:11 PM

428 posts, read 849,051 times
Germantown, Collierville, Arlington, Lakeland, Bartlett, East Memphis (the real east memphis ask us of if you need clarification), Desoto county Misssissippi pretty much sums it up.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 PM

188 posts, read 372,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Jr Shabadoo View Post
Awesome info guys.

If you live in the district you still have to score in the top 5% to get into the optional program. It doesn't hurt to spend your Saturdays at the synagogue with Linda Sklar.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 20,870 times
Wow. So I take it that the optional program is not very big? Being in the top 5% sounds pretty darn competitive to me. (And not neccessarily in a good way. While every parent believes their children are the "best and brightest", the top 5% sounds like a pretty difficult milestone to reach.)

Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,995 times
FWIW, my wife commutes from Collierville to LeBohneur Children's Hospital (on Poplar downtown...less than a half mile from St. Jude) 4 days a week. It's not a particularly difficult drive....30 minutes usually. Our neighbor commutes to St. Jude every day.

Bartlett would be closer. Austin Peay to I-40 on to St. Jude is also an easy drive.

Germantown would be a great choice as well.

We used to live in East Memphis. The public schools are terrible unless you get into the optional program....which I've been told won't happen unless you "know someone".

Old 12-03-2013, 03:29 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
Not sure where the 5% figure comes from. White Station's website says 80th percentile on standardized tests. Given the state of public education in TN, that's not as hard as it sounds. Anybody in district can go as long as tests scores and grades are appropriate. The optional program is about half the school. White Station High School - Optional School Program

Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,085 times
Whether or not it's easy to pass the test to get into an Optional program, they can't just accept anyone who passes or else they would have thousands of children. There has to be a set limit the # each school can accept, right? Maybe that is where the 5% comes in? So maybe you pass the test and then get on a wait list (or as others have said, very likely given the corruption of the government here, if you "know" someone you can get an automatic bid).

Personally I would not bet on getting into an Optional program and move to that school district with fingers crossed for your children. Especially if you are moving here from outside of Memphis.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
No, if you live in the school's district and meet the academic requirements, you're in. Period. That's the whole point of a public school. It's only if one lives outside of the district that it becomes a pain to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis