Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times

Advertisements

Collierville is a great place. It's its own incorporated city so it can never be annexed by Memphis. Too close to Mississippi? Nothing wrong with MS. I live in MS and that is also an excellent option to Memphis (Desoto County). As far as I know only one poster here in this forum is comming really down on MS but he posts again and again and again (this guy is taking a little bit of a forced vacation from this forum ,hahaha)...so maybe it seems like everyone hates MS.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:57 AM

39 posts, read 289,508 times
I wouldn't move into the 38125 area. It is currently unincorporated, but will likely be annexed by Memphis by Dec. 31st unless the residents can stop it with a lawsuit. Although it's a pretty nice area right now, I can see it becoming the next Hickory Hill within the next 5-10 years.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:12 AM

90 posts, read 467,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigApple View Post
I wouldn't move into the 38125 area. It is currently unincorporated, but will likely be annexed by Memphis by Dec. 31st unless the residents can stop it with a lawsuit. Although it's a pretty nice area right now, I can see it becoming the next Hickory Hill within the next 5-10 years.
I thought it's already part of Memphis... How did u find out it's currently unincorporated? Thanks BigApple

Old 11-06-2006, 12:41 PM

39 posts, read 289,508 times
I currently live in the 38125 area. Been there for about a year. The proposed annexation of this area and part of Cordova has recently been on the local news and on the front page of the Commercial Appeal. That's why I'm looking to move to either Germantown or Olive Branch.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:14 PM

Two issues with moving to Olive Branch vs. Germantown -
1.) Olive Branch is in Mississippi and thus you have to pay a state income tax. If you work already in Mississippi this is irrelevant. If you don't then you can calculate kissing away 5% of your salary to the state of MS.
2.) Germantown housing prices are crazy. Space is at a premium and they figure since it's "Germantown" that entitles them to charge twice as much for the same square footage you can get in Olive Branch. Add on to that the inflated property tax.

I did my homework when I moved here and it was pretty much a wash and it came down to Olive Branch being a little bit closer to work and also having a little bit more of a "country" appeal to it.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:41 PM

7 posts, read 7,661 times
everyone has their opinion and that's a good thing, but comparing living in the state of TN with living in the state of MS is a bit odd I think--particularly to a newcomer not a native Mississippian or a Tennessean or any other person who has been domiciled in the MidSouth// I own property all around TN, including within the city of Germantown, and property on the edge of Germantown right off Quail Hollow and Kirby.....folks, there is a REASON why property values/housing in Germantown may be considered by some as 'crazy' ! but let's keep in mind that markets are very efficient and balance on supply and demand, whether it's Naples or Fisher Island Florida, or Olive Branch Mississippi ! it's called desirability, amenities, value, and demand. I don't think a Germantown long time resident is going to 'trade down' to live in the state of Mississippi in order to get 'more house for the money', that just defies current thinking and demand ! Generally speaking the 'type' of resident that can afford to buy in Germantown (or Chickasaw Oaks for example) is NOT the same buyer of property that tends to buy in Olive Branch or Hernando Mississippi- that's just a fact of economics and social structure. There is no doubt that Germantown gets a 'premium' for being Germantown ! that's true of many many many suburbs even in the South (example: Mountain Brook, AL, right outside Birmingham !) Germantown is populated with higher income home owners who also have a higher percentage of professionals, most with college degrees and graduate degrees. That's just a simple piece of accepted data for example. There are many other meaningful statistics that could be cited. In short, it seems unwise if not downright silly to compare these tow, very different suburbs that are even in two different states (no matter if both are right outside the City of Memphis, Tn)..the comparison falls very very short !

Old 12-02-2006, 01:06 AM

7 posts, read 26,525 times
Default Might be moving to Memphis....Help!

Hey I'm possibly moving to Memphis and need some advice on where to live. What do you think of Bartlet? My work is located near Germantown, but it seems like it's fairly expensive to live in Germantown. I was looking at some apartments for temporary housing located at this address: 3505 South Mendenhall, Memphis, TN 38115. They're called Cedar Mill Apartments...anyone know anything about them or that area? Will eventually look to buy a home, but want to find somewhere reasonably cheap to live temporarily, but a decent part of town to live in. Also I'm reading that there seems to be a lot of racial tension in Memphis, which I might have to get used to being from the upper midwest where it hasn't been as big of an issue. Anyhow, any advice on Memphis in general would be great.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2006, 08:00 AM

113 posts, read 529,807 times
Check your private messages.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsomniac View Post
Hey I'm possibly moving to Memphis and need some advice on where to live. What do you think of Bartlet? My work is located near Germantown, but it seems like it's fairly expensive to live in Germantown. I was looking at some apartments for temporary housing located at this address: 3505 South Mendenhall, Memphis, TN 38115. They're called Cedar Mill Apartments...anyone know anything about them or that area? Will eventually look to buy a home, but want to find somewhere reasonably cheap to live temporarily, but a decent part of town to live in. Also I'm reading that there seems to be a lot of racial tension in Memphis, which I might have to get used to being from the upper midwest where it hasn't been as big of an issue. Anyhow, any advice on Memphis in general would be great.

Thanks!

Bartlett's OK for a temporary location but I wouldn't buy a house there. Again you are looking at a place that has or will be incorporated by the city of Memphis and you will probably find your home depreciating. Yikes, Don't even START with a race discussion again about Memphis - that means trolls coming in, deleted posts, and eventual the thread locked up by the mods.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsomniac View Post
I was looking at some apartments for temporary housing located at this address: 3505 South Mendenhall, Memphis, TN 38115.
Ok just for chuckles I ran that address on yahoo maps. Man I don't know, that's Hickory Hill, also known as "Hickory Hood". No where near Bartlett. Crime is a problem in that area. This is a commerical area with alot of businesses boarding up and moving east on Winchester to a better part of town. If it's not a gated community I wouldn't consider it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis