Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times

Advertisements

I would assume that property taxes in Oakland are considerably less than they are in Memphis (which has the highest property tax in the state).

Old 10-08-2007, 08:06 AM

774 posts, read 2,583,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I would assume that property taxes in Oakland are considerably less than they are in Memphis (which has the highest property tax in the state).
You're correct. The tax rate in Oakland/Fayette is $1.92 per hundred of assessed value while Memphis/Shelby's tax rate is $7.47.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM

8 posts, read 22,813 times
Most likely, it's the old "annexation scare"......been there done that . SOme great homes in Cordova though. Prices are reasonable....

Old 10-13-2007, 02:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,776 times
Default Someone please tell me it's going to be okay

My college age daughter and her boyfriend are moving from large cities in California that are racially tolerant, have very low crime rates, and have a highly educated population to the Memphis area.

He's just accepted a job as a pilot at the Memphis Airport. Neither of them have been there and know nothing about the area except what they have read on the internet.

They found an apartment they love (based on the website) in Cordova and she is planning to go to a junior/community college and has already had a phone interview for a job at Woodchase Mall.

They are both pasty white, but have no racial issues themselves.

I've been reading the Memphis crime statistics and quite frankly, I am scared to death for her (what can I say, I'm a mom!). Is Cordova safe? What about Woodchase Mall? Any feedback on the community colleges in the area?
Someone please - put my mind at ease.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:34 AM

376 posts, read 1,779,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caratgirl View Post
My college age daughter and her boyfriend are moving from large cities in California that are racially tolerant, have very low crime rates, and have a highly educated population to the Memphis area.

He's just accepted a job as a pilot at the Memphis Airport. Neither of them have been there and know nothing about the area except what they have read on the internet.

They found an apartment they love (based on the website) in Cordova and she is planning to go to a junior/community college and has already had a phone interview for a job at Woodchase Mall.

They are both pasty white, but have no racial issues themselves.

I've been reading the Memphis crime statistics and quite frankly, I am scared to death for her (what can I say, I'm a mom!). Is Cordova safe? What about Woodchase Mall? Any feedback on the community colleges in the area?
Someone please - put my mind at ease.

Thanks in advance!
Cordova is pretty safe and pretty standard for any middle class suburb around the country. The Wolfchase Mall is the the city's largest and most popular mall. Crime there is minimal. Southwest Tennessee is the only community college here, but they have several campuses including one in Cordova.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:24 PM

19 posts, read 62,305 times
the real answer to your question is...move wherever makes you happy. people in this city are usually partial to one area and crime is everywhere. drive around these places. shop there, dine there, meet people there and make your decision based on first hand experience. and p.s. - the re-sell value anywhere in this city is horrible right now.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 AM

98 posts, read 370,478 times
38125 area probably will NOT be anexed, its the county, different mayer and all. A.C Wharton, who should be the mayor of Memphis.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:04 AM

774 posts, read 2,583,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
38125 area probably will NOT be anexed, its the county, different mayer and all. A.C Wharton, who should be the mayor of Memphis.
Actually, 38125 is in the annexation reserve of Memphis, that is, the parts of 38125 not already annexed of Memphis. Being in the county has nothing to do with Memphis annexation, other than the fact that Memphis cannot annex from other counties. Every annexation has been an area governed by Shelby Coutny and it's mayor at the time.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,571 times
Collierville is divided into two very distinct economic areas. The farer east you go the more affluent the housing. By this I mean 30 – 40 year old houses that range from $100K - $190K to the new McMansions of $300K+.

As you can deduce the lower property areas are closer to the Memphis city limits, literally blocks apart, from one of the top 3 poorer areas, Hickory Hill. (a.k.a. – Hickory “Hood”)

If at all possible, do not live within the Memphis city limits. The taxes are insane, the public schools horrible and the politicians, both black & white, are racially polarized to the point that nothing ever gets done.

I was born and raised here and sadly have had to move to one of the outlying areas for a better quality of life for my family and a better long-term real estate investment. I used to be truly proud to be a Memphian. Now, the crime is some of the worst in the nation, schools are lacking in teachers & proper facilities and the houses are decreasing in value. My father and mother have had their house in Cordova on the market for over two years. The bought it for $150K in 1990 and at its prime, the house appraised from $210K. As of 12/16/09, it is on the market for $135K. It is a very nice home in good condition, but the area is in decline.

As for the ZIP code 38125, AVOID THIS AREA!!

It has truly gone downhill and is a hotbed of crime. I know exactly where FedEx HQ is and it would be conveniently located, but if you have time to visit the area you’ll see the large number of boarded up shops and abandoned areas.

If you live within the city or just on its boarder, just about anyplace you want to get to is about a 10 - 20 minute drive around I-240 or I-40. Just live about 20 minutes outside the city and enjoy a better quality of life.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:37 PM

369 posts, read 1,233,001 times
Even though this thread is a couple of years old, there are a lot of generalizations about Cordova on here that are simply not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis