Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 AM

455 posts, read 1,559,906 times

Advertisements

I'm in the middle of East Memphis. Both were on Waring, at Summer and at Walnut Grove. But I've seen people do this everywhere. And it's horrible and should be stopped. Some do it because they are on cell phones.

Germantown has those cameras. Memphis I don't know about. Some find that offensive, some don't. But it apparently works. I would personally prefer it be done by the cops. That's more practical than putting many hundreds of cameras all over Memphis. The cops would simply just move around from corner to corner and they can write speeding tickets at the same time. Public education and stiff fines would be part of it too. It's certainly helped with DUI, or DWI as we used to call it.

Speaking of which, I don't think drunk driving is as frequent now as "back then". I believe the campaigns against it have met with some success. I personally would have preferred taking the car away instead of jail as a sanction, but in any event I believe there have been results. It can be done in other areas too.

Smoking's another thing that in the '50s was more popular by mountains and miles compared to today. I don't know if everyone is aware of that.

Like I was saying earlier here, there were certain features of those times that were better or "nicer"; but not so with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 02:14 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,930 times
Memphis recently installed red light cameras also. I know there is one at Poplar and Highland. They also have them at intersections in Hickory Hill alog Winchester, and in Cordova on G-Town Parkway. Memphis does not have very many yet, but they may install more if the data shows a major reduction in accidents. I know for a fact that red light runners are very bad on Summer. I do not know why the city has not installed some camera on that roadway. You will probably never see at camera at Waring and Walnut Grove because this is a T-intersection. Righ angle (T-bone) accidents are not very common at T- intersections.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 PM

455 posts, read 1,559,906 times
On the Waring/Walnut Grove thing, the one running the light almost managed to get three or more people killed; himself or herself, me and whoever was in another car that was stopped eastbound on Walnut Grove waiting out the same red light the SUV blew through. He swerved to miss me which put him or her on a head-on course with the other car and had to keep swerving to miss them, and then jumped the curb and on into someone's front yard on Walnut Grove.

Anyway, you know the old adage about your whole life passing in front of your eyes when you're about to die? It's not true. That didn't happen. I do remember just briefly wondering what dying like this was going to feel like;and so this afterall is how it all ends I thought..

Anyway, I like the idea better of cops visibly stopping someone for doing this in front of everyone much more so than a sterile camera action. I think sirens and flashing lights and it being in full public view are a far better object lesson and will be better remembered. And it will be re-assuring for those watching.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 AM

I agree a squad car is the best option, but it is difficult for the cops to be everywhere all the time. I am sure if a cop sees a blatant red light runner they will pull them over. I think the cameras are their as an ever watching deterrent. The accident at Waring and Walnut Grove seems like the violator was on a cell/ texting or something. I think banning cell phone use in the car without a hands free device would be a great help, but that is easier said then done.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:34 AM

298 posts, read 1,090,050 times
Iv been to Memphis so many times in my 26 years of life and the feeling I get everytime is the same. That feeling is dirty, poor, run-down and crime ridden. And this is the good areas, so I couldnt imagine what the slums must be like. I just constantly hate being there and feel uncomfortable every second.

When I feel better in Chicago and Atlanta than I do in Memphis, thats saying something!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Was it nice back in those days? Please tell?
Memphis itself has always been the same. Downtown could compete with any large city before the large shopping malls. The older generation was more polite toward one another.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 AM

628 posts, read 1,685,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
That feeling is dirty, poor, run-down and crime ridden. And this is the good areas, so I couldnt imagine what the slums must be like. I just constantly hate being there and feel uncomfortable every second. When I feel better in Chicago and Atlanta than I do in Memphis, thats saying something!
Memphis has plenty of nice areas, especially East Memphis which is very affluent. True, there are those that hurt us statistically, but Chicago has neighborhoods that Memphis thugs wouldn't go into. Not to mention, almost all of Memphis' notorious housing projects are gone, redeveloped into beautiful mixed-income communities.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 06-03-2010 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 AM

I'm sure that's the case but I felt more comfortable in downtown Chicago than anywhere in dirty Memphis. Granted I wasn't in the thick of Cabrini green. Again it's just that Memphis has a run down feeling.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM

What part of "dirty Memphis" were you in. It obviously left an impression. I have been to other large city's that look every bit as "run down" and "dirty" as Memphis. Many looked worse. All city's have there good and not so good parts. Judging Memphis based on one of its hoody areas is unfair if you are not going to judge other city's to the same standard.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM

Anybody that hasnt been there before, go and tell us what you think. 80-90% will tell you its wasnt the hopeful picture they had expected. Its run down and poor. I mean its connected to the poor MS delta. This is to be expected in that part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis