Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 03:20 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times

Advertisements

Yes, that's what I said. I grew up in Frayser in the 50's-60's attending Brookmeade Elementary and Trezevant High. We moved in 1965 after I finished 8th grade. It was a "Leave It To Beaver" existence - I could ride my bike everywhere, the neighborhoods were great and crime unheard of. I received an amazing education in public schools.

Now, I'm coming to Memphis on business for the first time since moving away. I'd love to revisit my childhood home (at the end of Frayser Blvd), go by my schools, the community swimming pool and all the other places I remember. I'd like to have some photos and relive memories.

Am I crazy? I've seen on this forum that Frayser not the place to be anymore. Would I be safe driving a rental car through Frayser in daylight hours with an occasional stroll around homes, shopping areas and neighborhoods. Would anything look familiar? Would I just be too depressed? Any advice is welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times
You're really gonna be depressed. You'll be OK driving around during the daylight, but I wouldn't want to stroll around the homes and neighborhoods in many areas. You'll probably make the locals suspicious. You're probably not going to want to spend much time (if any) at any of the shopping areas either. Believe me, they're nothing like what you remember!

I grew up in Bethel Grove. A couple of years ago we had a reunion of the folks who lived there back then. I decided to drive around the neighborhood, take photos of the houses where some of us lived, etc. My first stop was at my old house. I didn't even get out of the car, I just stopped and snapped a photo...but I was still accosted by the neighbor demanding to know what I was up to. She calmed down once I explained that I used to live there....and told her the name of the person who bought the house from my parents. Still, it was obvious that a white guy isn't welcome in what is now a predominately black neighborhood.

At another house, though, an older lady was out in the yard. I talked to her for a few minutes and she was very gracious. That helped offset the rudeness of the first lady.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 PM

235 posts, read 1,357,642 times
You'd be fine driving and shopping (during daylight---mid-morning would probably be better)... I wouldn't be walking around though.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
I've driven and walked through Frayser in daylight hours many times. There are a few neighborhoods I would not walk through at any time. Frayser Boulevard itself and the other major thoroughfares are fine; you probably won't encounter any problems.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:51 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
If you lived at the end of Frayser Blvd (it ends west of Thomas, doesn't it?), then you had a long dang bike ride to Brookmeade and Trezevant.

I spent a few of my early years in the Brookmeade Elementary neighborhood (73-79), and that neighborhood hasn't held up well. Plenty of decent folks just making their way in the world, but plenty of those who sit in the yard or lean against their cars and stare down anyone who drives by. I don't feel particularly threatened anywhere in town (including Frayser), but I'm a big, ugly, hairy guy so my "victim look" isn't well developed. I still wouldn't get out and wander around if I were you anywhere but the business areas and the nicer areas (like around Georgian Hills).

My guess is a drive through the old neighborhood will not cause you to want to get out and walk around. It'll just make you sad for what has become of what I think is the prettiest part of Shelby County (geographically) and what was a nice area not too long ago. The good news is if you bring your kids/wife/friends with you who aren't from Memphis, they'll think you are some kind of OG when they see your former hood and know you came out alive.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:59 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Actually I lived at the other end of Frayser Blvd (2762) - near the city limits. I remember a small grocery (Tuckers where I worked for a couple of years) and a golf driving range/baseball batting range a little further down the street, then the city limits. I loved my life there.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:31 AM

235 posts, read 1,357,642 times
There is a church across the street that you could park... walk a little down the sidewalk and take a picture

The city limits are now MUCH farther east of that (Old Brownsville Rd...right?) in Raleigh. Davy Crockett is closed..but the park is still open I think.

The Tuckers is still a grocery-convenience store... (Tonys Market) on Schoolfield Rd.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,952 times
It's all different now. I grew up in Northhaven/Frayser and it pains me to go back now. At least I have my memories. I still love Shelby Forrest and think about home all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis