Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,826 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a relocation to Memphis for a job opportunity. We are visiting this weekend to look at houses, schools, etc. We currently live in Philadelphia - in the city (near the art museum), in a row home, and in a community with lots of diversity. Very walkable and tight knit. We already pay for private schools so that isnt a big deal for us. And of course, Philly has its share of crime....you have to be careful which block you choose, etc. Similar to Memphis it seems...

We are going to be looking at Midtown (central gardens and evergreen), High Point Terrance, and Germantown.

Living in the City Questions
Are there many young families in the Midtown and High Point terrace areas? Are there parks or playgrounds there?
- Ignoring the lack of good public schools, would you consider Midtown or HPT to be "kid-friendly"? We have a 5yr and 2 yr old - are there restaurants where they could come along? Bookstores or other kid things?
- How easy is it to get to the airport from here? I travel for work and the husband would be working near the airport.
- Are there any "athletic clubs" available in midtown or HPT? Like a community center with a pool or something? Private is ok.
- What would 350-400K get you in these areas?

Living in the Burbs Questions
- Is Germantown really conservative?
- Are there many working mothers in Germantown? (Nothing against SAHMs, but I would like to meet other working moms)
- Are there any parts of it that are more liberal?

Thanks for your perspectives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:29 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
Lots of young families live in midtown. There aren't many parks or playgrounds anywhere in the city, but there are some small green areas around. The neighborhoods of Central Gardens and Evergreen are sort of "parkish" themselves, with big old trees and bigger yards. I think the area is very kid-friendly, for a city. I see lots of people riding bikes with their kids, walking around, etc. Especially when you get into the neighborhoods away from the major streets, with less traffic.

Restaurants in Memphis are kid-friendly, even restaurants you wouldn't expect to see kids in - people bring them anyway! Lots of good places in midtown to eat, even for kids.

Midtown is probably the closest good area of Memphis from the airport. It's a straight shot down East Parkway/Airways, just 10 minutes or so.

There are a few gyms around, but nothing with a pool (that I know of). The YMCA downtown has a pool, as does the YMCA on Quince.

And yes, $350k would get you a huge home in midtown, especially with the housing crisis right now.

I'll leave the Germantown question for someone else.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:41 AM

235 posts, read 1,357,431 times
Well, Germantown used to be a bit more conservative but... it has kinda changed. It's still conservative but not terribly conservative. Some of the older areas of Gtown are getting more of a liberal population but it is still more conservative than other parts of Memphis.

There are a lot of working moms in Gtown (sometimes part-time and at home) and there are a lot of SAHMs.

Mid-town: I wouldn't really move there with kids.... But if you do, you'll need to stay north of Lamar (past southern), north of Southern Ave, and south of Jackson AVENUE. There are places like McDonalds but from what I am remembering (haven't been to mid-town in a couple of weeks) there aren't many kid friendly restaurants. I know there is a park in Binghampton with playgrounds and surely Overton has them..

My dad grew up on Tutwiler (1920's-1940's) and I would be kinda skeptical on that area. I lived in Central Gardens and I got tired of the traffic (of course, I lived at the corner of McLean and Peabody) but, for your lifestyle I think it would fit you.

Highpoint Terrace is a no brainer. And, there are many athletic clubs in any of the areas you mentioned.

In all of these areas, you can get a house under 400k, 300k,200k, and 100k (if you have a good eye

If your husband is working near the airport, you might want to try River Oaks (north of Poplar) and it has what you want AND has easy access to 240. You'd probably take 385 if you lived in Gtown (quicker no matter what Google says!).

Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nomadic4me View Post

Mid-town: There are places like McDonalds but from what I am remembering (haven't been to mid-town in a couple of weeks) there aren't many kid friendly restaurants.
McDonalds is the only kid-friendly restaurant in midtown?? You need to try some more places!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 AM

235 posts, read 1,357,431 times
Well, I'm not in mid-town often and when I am, I'm in a hurry so... I don't really explore through there.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 PM

480 posts, read 878,113 times
We just moved away from Memphis this summer. We were living in East Memphis, but had we stayed in the Bluff City, we probably would have moved to Midtown. I spent my young adulthood in the area, but when I got married and had kids (now 6 and 4), we thought Midtown wasn't the best area for families. That has really changed in the last few years. There are lots of young families who have moved to Midtown in recent years. It's a liberal-leaning, diverse, culturally rich, very walkable part of town. Central Gardens is particularly nice and should have lots to choose from in your price range.

Some info and links about Midtown:

Memphis' signature park (Overton) is in Midtown and includes the Memphis Zoo, Brooks Museum of Art and the wonderfully renovated Levitt Shell. If you have time this weekend, you should visit the Shell this weekend for some family-friendly entertainment. http://www.levittshell.org/ You will also get a better idea of what Midtown family life is like.

The wonderful Children's Museum of Memphis is in nearby, though that neighborhood (near the fairgrounds and Liberty Bown) is sketchy. I think driving around, you can get a good feel for the "good" and "bad" parts of Midtown.

Rock n Romp is very popular: MEMPHIS ROCK-N-ROMP. Different families (I believe in Central Gardens) host this approx. monthly event with kid-friendly music and other fun for both kids and adults. The public is invited.

Some kid-friendly restaurants in Midtown: Huey's (the original), Memphis Pizza Cafe, Cafe Ole (in Cooper-Young, another Midtown neighborhood), and the usual assortment of chains and fast-food establishments. The Main Library is just east of Midtown, and the best bookstore in Memphis (IMO) is just a 10- to 15-minute drive from Midtown. Davis-Kidd offers story time for toddlers several times a week and had regular special book events for kids on weekends.

There are several private schools in or near Midtown. I've always heard good things about Grace St. Luke (PK-8). Immaculate Conception is co-ed through 8th grade, then all-female for high school. Memphis Catholic is a middle and high school. But if you haven't ruled out public schools, check into Idlewild Elementary. I know a couple of teachers who drive across town to send their children to this optional school.

Here's another thread that delves into Midtown for families: http://www.city-data.com/forum/memph...area-me-4.html. There you will also find a link to a nice Commercial Appeal story about Idlewild Elementary.

Not to take anything away from HPT or Germantown, but I'm much more familiar with Midtown, and it's where I would want to live if I was moving to Memphis.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:19 PM

Oh gosh, I forgot about Overton Park!!! I guess I was thinking "park" as in a small area with a playground. Overton Park is huge, and the zoo and art museum are located there as well. They do have a playground, as well as a baseball diamond, a (small) lake, a golf course, etc. Lots of people bring their kids and dogs, and people have cook outs and get togethers there.

And honestly for the restaurants thing, every restaurant I go in, I see kids. Of course you have to use common sense about taking kids out late when restaurants may turn into more of a bar scene. But Molly's, Pizza Cafe, Bosco's, Soul Fish, Cafe Ole, Sekisui, Dino's, Huey's, Central BBQ, BBQ Shop, Bayou...these places are hang outs for adults as well as families. Some like Cafe Ole definitely turn into a bar (margarita) scene late at night, but during the day and evening there are usually kids there somewhere. The only true non-kid place I can think of is the Blue Monkey - must now be 21 to get in, since they are the only restaurant in midtown that allows smoking (that I can think of).

Now I am hungry

Old 09-23-2009, 06:22 PM

242 posts, read 974,493 times
Dont forget about the super cool park at the botanical gardens!!!

IWe have young kids and we are moving to Memphis in 6 weeks. We opted for a 3 bd apt near downtown until we can get to know the area better. We plan on buying in Midtown. Midtown seemed to be very family friendly. I didnt really see any place that I would be fearful of taking my kids. Alot of the sidewalk cafes and restaraunts had families with kids.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 PM

203 posts, read 561,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepony View Post
Dont forget about the super cool park at the botanical gardens!!!

IWe have young kids and we are moving to Memphis in 6 weeks. We opted for a 3 bd apt near downtown until we can get to know the area better. We plan on buying in Midtown. Midtown seemed to be very family friendly. I didnt really see any place that I would be fearful of taking my kids. Alot of the sidewalk cafes and restaraunts had families with kids.

Hope that helps.
So as my wife and I swing from burbs to mid-town, I saw your post.

Where are these sidewalk cafes? Didin't see any in Central Gardens?

Old 10-16-2009, 02:36 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
So as my wife and I swing from burbs to mid-town, I saw your post.

Where are these sidewalk cafes? Didin't see any in Central Gardens?
Cooper ~ Young has a few sidewalk cafe's. Cafe Ole and Young Avenue Deli come to mind. Theres also a Irish Joint a couple doors down

Otherlands Coffe Shop has a nice patio. This is where you will get a dose of mid town mphs folks

Cafe Society has a patio also I beleive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis