Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times

Advertisements

My business requires me to run 2-6 cars a month thru the city inspection. I don't understand why for 2 months now there has been a 2 hour wait. Well actually I do understand

The employees at the I.S. are lazy no good for nothing bums. Takes them on average 5 minutes to inspect a vehicle that should only take 2 minutes.

The whole thing is a waste of my/our hard earned tax paying money. I would like to see how much polution is put into the air by having hundreds of cars sit idleing waiting to get inspected

Most of the cars I run thru are 1,2 or 3 years old tops. Today I ran a 2010 model car thru. The lady was dragging her A$$. She may as well been asleep. On top of that, she said to me "Main your car beez dirty"

It took all I had not to tell her to shut her piehole and move her A$$

Off My Soap Box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:05 AM

165 posts, read 461,893 times
Hey,...that's Memphis!! Most will disagree but it's true. Most of the inspectors seem very uneducated and shiftless. I've never had a bad experience with them. But I've never had a pleasant one either.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:11 AM

122 posts, read 441,935 times
Yep. They have been there forever, and I'm afraid they are there to stay. Take a good book w/ you next time.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:55 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Try to time it right too. I lived out that way and there are times when it's not that busy, other times it's horrible. Never go on Mondays or Fridays, never the first or last several days of the month either. Mid month, midweek, and mid morning or mid afternoon are easiest. I have on occasion manged to get in and out in under thirty minutes.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 PM
BWM

60 posts, read 153,140 times
There should be an exception for newer vehicles. Also, the city should close all of the city run inspection stations, have service stations or gas stations with mechanics do the inspections. Charge $5 or $10 to the car owner. The mechanics can set the appointment and you spend 10 minutes there. I would pay $5 - $10 for the convenience and it would help the shop pay for the equipment. This is how it was done when I lived in Atlanta.

BUT, that won't happen here because that means that the extremely courteous, hard working, efficient employees at the inspection station would no longer have that government job. And, it is becoming more and more evident that Wharton has no spine when it comes to doing what is in the interest of the tax payers in this city (what is left of them, including myself).

Old 03-06-2010, 12:19 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I always wondered about that. How do you know some dishonest mechanic won't tell you there's a problem when there isn't, in order to drum up a little extra business? Are there severe penalties to shop owners to discourage that kind of thing from happening?

Old 03-06-2010, 02:12 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,869 times
The CA said they're under staffed b/c of budget cuts. But keep in mind this is a government operated facility. I work for a company that does business with the State of Tennessee and you would not believe how complicated things get whenever the government gets involved.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:58 PM

290 posts, read 1,054,041 times
I have a web page which shows web cameras from three of the stations.

Buzz's Memphis Weather Radar and Webcams Page

Scroll down the page to see the images. I look at them from time to time and they are always crowded, no matter what time of the month it is.

I guess I am lucky in Nashville, The particular inspection station I use each is 2 minutes from work. I go before work to get my car inspected and am in and out in 5 minutes. Plus, the people that work there are very nice. Never had any problems with this one inspection station. In case anybody from Nashville wants to know which one I go to, it is on Dickerson Pike north of the new Wal*Mart (on the left as you are going away from town.)

Old 03-06-2010, 06:01 PM

232 posts, read 988,717 times
One more reason to move to the county. I used to live in Memphis and thought the IS was ridiculous. I was offered $50 to sit in line at the IS for my brother in law because he can't find the time to leave work, etc. I passed on the offer.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 AM

173 posts, read 323,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
The CA said they're under staffed b/c of budget cuts. But keep in mind this is a government operated facility. I work for a company that does business with the State of Tennessee and you would not believe how complicated things get whenever the government gets involved.
AMEN AMEN AMEN. there are days i think dealing with the holy roman empire would require less!
i do miss living in mississippi for inspections...pull up to a gas station, and five minutes later you are done. it would be different if the people at the inspection stations didn't seem to put out when you expect them to do their job, you know, the one they are being paid to do and will one day collect a pension from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis