Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,452 times

Advertisements

The apartment complex i live in is really bad. i finally spoke up and was told i had to contact police first. last person who lived here who did that was forced to move by the bad tenants retailiation. i cannot call police for fear. i decided not to renew my lease after a horrible incident. and my lease ends the end of this month.

leasing consultant said either sign the lease, or i have 15 days to move. that was 3 days ago.

i don't want to sign a new lease. but 30 more days would do give me time to be out.

some facts:
-i am on disability.
-i have a section 8 voucher (which i am grateful for but at times have considered going without due to difficulty finding landlords ot accept my voucher)

-packing in 12 days poses challenges for me..
some days i am okay-soso. some days in bed immobile with depression.
any advice.

my choices are:
1 re-sign the lease and stay. and go off the deep end eventually.
2. move in 12 days - impossible.

3. just thought. i could re-sign the lease. which is so silly becasue they know i want to move. but sign and then move in 30 or 60 days (the end of september or October) . the complex would love this. just so they can make me pay for every month the apt is not rented as a penalty for breaking the lease they KNEW i was going to have to break anyway.

oh please help me!!!! the pain at times is unbearable with all the other stress right now.

i had read that maybe the complex can grant me a "reasonable accomadation" and give me extra time. but the leasing consultant saif because i refused to call the police, i was not trying ot help my situation. she said i wouldn't get the accomadation for extra time. but i explained because of my disability and fear i am paralyzed to call police. i am afraid of everyone. she didn't say anything after i said that. felt horrible i had to explain. (even more)

i know eveyone is different. what would YOU do?
knowing full well your mental disability is unpredictible and you are at your limit ?

-stick it out another year knowing odds are you will not make it?
-try and pack/leave in 12 days?
-or suck up the extra money and sign lease knowing you will break it
and leave in a month or two and have to pay for months apartment is vacant?

i am going crazy. feel so defeated.
HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,098 times
I think maybe this should be posted in the renters forumn. You could probably get some good advice regarding your rights as a renter there.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
You should have started packing as soon as you decided the place was too scary to live in.

Get friends or family members to help you do it. Waiting is not going to do any good, and the mental issues that you are describing do not seem like things that will be any better fifteen days from now.

Get some boxes, tackle one room at a time, keep only what you know you will really use, and donate or discard the rest.

Have you read your lease? Does it say anything about going on a month to month status if you do not sign a new one?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
[quote=suzy_q2010;25706489]You should have started packing as soon as you decided the place was too scary to live in.

Get friends or family members to help you do it. Waiting is not going to do any good, and the mental issues that you are describing do not seem like things that will be any better fifteen days from now.

Get some boxes, tackle one room at a time, keep only what you know you will really use, and donate or discard the rest.

Have you read your lease? Does it say anything about going on a month to month status if you do not sign a new one?[/quote]

These are very good points.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
There is help out there, all you need to do is ask!

Note: There are many "big time" non-profit groups which are always asking for donations, however you will not find any help there!

Rather it is the "small" local groups which will help you move. Many churches have "food pantries" and the like which help people. They also have people who volunteer there. These are the people who are more than willing to help others. Ask at places like that.

I frequently have Mormons come around and ring my doorbell - try to "convert me", etc. BUT they frequently also ask if I need any help around the house (I've not taken them up on the offer). I would bet people like that would be more than willing to help you move.

Also the Salvation Army is quite helpful for people in need. They may help or be able to tell you who can help.

Habitat for Humanity has all sorts of "nice people" volunteers - they volunteer their time to build houses. But they might also be quite willing to help someone move. Their help is not limited to just building!

And I have volunteered at some of these places. The people are nice. If you walked in and asked for help, I would be more than happy to help as would others.

So just ask around!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Contact your disabilty professionals, your state Protection and Advocacy office...and get an advocate...Your county ombudsman(call the closest nursing home and ask the social worker who the ombudsman is and the phone number)...or case managers. They may have some volunteers that could help you w/ the packing and moving. I would also suggest talking to them about what you've experienced there.
You are what is called a vulnerable adult...There are laws in place, federal laws to protect and advocate for you. Look up the Americans w/ Disability webpage ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act
and read some of the information...and perhaps find a list of agencies or volunteers in your area. If you need more help w/ research just message me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityIsSweet View Post
The apartment complex i live in is really bad. i finally spoke up and was told i had to contact police first. last person who lived here who did that was forced to move by the bad tenants retailiation. i cannot call police for fear. i decided not to renew my lease after a horrible incident. and my lease ends the end of this month.

leasing consultant said either sign the lease, or i have 15 days to move. that was 3 days ago.

i don't want to sign a new lease. but 30 more days would do give me time to be out.

some facts:
-i am on disability.
-i have a section 8 voucher (which i am grateful for but at times have considered going without due to difficulty finding landlords ot accept my voucher)

-packing in 12 days poses challenges for me..
some days i am okay-soso. some days in bed immobile with depression.
any advice.

my choices are:
1 re-sign the lease and stay. and go off the deep end eventually.
2. move in 12 days - impossible.

3. just thought. i could re-sign the lease. which is so silly becasue they know i want to move. but sign and then move in 30 or 60 days (the end of september or October) . the complex would love this. just so they can make me pay for every month the apt is not rented as a penalty for breaking the lease they KNEW i was going to have to break anyway.

oh please help me!!!! the pain at times is unbearable with all the other stress right now.

i had read that maybe the complex can grant me a "reasonable accomadation" and give me extra time. but the leasing consultant saif because i refused to call the police, i was not trying ot help my situation. she said i wouldn't get the accomadation for extra time. but i explained because of my disability and fear i am paralyzed to call police. i am afraid of everyone. she didn't say anything after i said that. felt horrible i had to explain. (even more)

i know eveyone is different. what would YOU do?
knowing full well your mental disability is unpredictible and you are at your limit ?

-stick it out another year knowing odds are you will not make it?
-try and pack/leave in 12 days?
-or suck up the extra money and sign lease knowing you will break it
and leave in a month or two and have to pay for months apartment is vacant?

i am going crazy. feel so defeated.
HELP!!!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Two things come to mind. First, I saw where a woman on Facebook needed help moving and she put out a request and friends of friends came out and helped her move. She was single, disabled, and had a child. People showed up with boxes, trucks, everything she needed.

Second, if you do the best you can, and aren't out in 12 days, your landlord has the right to evict you. But that process will take time and you'll probably be gone by the time it is complete. You may have a pending civil case and incur some fees, but if you're on disability, most likely you're judgment proof under state law. So if you can't get help in your area, just do the best you can and don't worry about the rest.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,452 times
THANK YOU so much to everyone who replied. i just read your responses as i have been sick the past few days. thanks so much. as for the person who responded as to why i waited to pack, (suzyq_2010) ... well the bad seeds were suppossed to be leaving. And things got worse.
- long story.. but they have a lot of rights and because everyone is afraid to press charges against them
but i am acting now.

thanks again. sooooo much! means a lot!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,283 times
If getting your stuff packed and moved in time is not possible for you I'd recommend just not doing it. What I would do is write a letter to your landlord telling her you'll be out at x date (like 9-15 or 9-30, whatever you can do). Send the letter with registered mail so you have proof she got it. Do every contact with landlord in writing. Nothing over the phone or in person. Don't let her intimidate you.
Fact is this; your landlord may want you to resign the lease or get you out by 8-31 but she can't pick you up and throw you out. She can start eviction proceedings but that takes time and you'll most likely be out before you can be evicted. Also, if she has your notice in writing knowing you're going to be out on a certain date she may not want to put in the time and money to have you evicted if waiting will get her the same result - you're out.

Would you mind sharing what state you are in? Different states have different laws and some require a 30 day notice from the landlord so giving you just 15 days may not be legal.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
There must be an office at HUD that takes recipient/tenant complaints and intervenes with landlords on your behalf. As a Section 8 recipient, you do have certain rights regarding amount each party has to give before moving out.

Info for People with Disabilities - HUD

Housing Choice Voucher Program Section 8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health