Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 03:21 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Stepka, thanks for that, you're awesome. I think thats why I am still here....hoping beyond hope that it can theoretically all change in an instant. Maybe a miracle will happen and I'll get a call about a perfect job or meet the woman of my dreams in the grocery store or gym. Its just that everyday feels like groundhog day, and a lose hope of being pleasantly surpised by life.
Of course it could happen that way, but it's just as likely that peace will come dropping slow and you will start to feel better and then something will tug you back, temporarily, into the black hole. Please be ready for that possibility too, but also know that if something pulls you back into the black hole that it means you were well on the way out of it. Your heart will never break as bad as it just did though--you've been thru the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
What are some things you like to do that puts a smile on your face? Money may be tight, but find things that make you happy and have marginal costs.

And screw living by society's standards, even if it means living life unconventionally. McDonald's may not be the ideal right now, but hey, it's better than the alternative.

But I wish you the best and just remember there IS a light at the end of the tunnel! Keep your head up and God bless!
That is how I survived my divorce--just put the world's demands on hold and took care of what I wanted. (Fortunately what I wanted included my children!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If you love to travel and don't have anything tying you down, why don't you try to summon the energy to think completely out of the box? Can you teach English somewhere? Can you volunteer with a church group or non-profit for a year or so in some exotic location? Can you afford to do an intensive language program somewhere? Since everyday feels like groundhog day, it might be time to really stir things up for yourself. What's the funnest thing you can think of to do?
This sounds like a great idea--you want out of ATL anyway and you love to travel--why not go and follow your dream? If you like farmwork, you can sign up with wwoof or helpx and have a free place to stay and food to eat in exchange for help with farming--organic farming if you join wwoof. Or, as Marlow said, you can teach English somewhere. Or there is some dude ranch out west for teens with severe emotional problems. Gosh, I've always thought if I hit the end of my rope I'd take a really risky job in some part of the world where they really need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
Has anybody else come to the conclusion that the OP was a bored troll getting his jollies here ?
C'mon folks. 16 pages of posts and the Op responded tersely 3 times with just enough to keep you going.
Well I surely do hate to speak for the OP but I have the feeling that he's pulled himself together since that first post. I saw him posting stuff on health about losing weight and that tells me that he hasn't lost hope yet. Also, I rarely worry about trolling (and the one time I did I got in trouble with the mods!) I think we've all helped others on here as well, and that includes myself. I'm not to the point of suicidal but some days I feel like I'm just going to blow up with the stress and depression and folks have encouraged me also. So if the OP is a troll, and I don't think he is, then who cares really? And who really wants to take a chance on worrying about that on a suicide post?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM

262 posts, read 651,507 times
Don't die. The world can be a cruel place, especially if you are interacting with the most complex species in the world; humans. It is hard but live for those who live for you.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Ok...Atlguy is still here and talking..that's good.

Where is Bson?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM

262 posts, read 651,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ok...Atlguy is still here and talking..that's good.

Where is Bson?

Bson is here.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:40 PM

165 posts, read 323,105 times
Is ATLGuy here? Just checking up on him! ATLGuy, if you're reading this, let us know you're ok!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:05 PM

120 posts, read 313,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Why, what do you suggest - telling him to jump?
Of course not. There's a small chance the Op is for real.
Coming on to a forum and annonymously announcing you're going to do yourself in is kind of out there, don't you think ?
If a person is thinking about suicide it means they are overwhelmed by their problems and either are too embarrassed to ask for help or their judgement is clouded. They drop little hints to friends and/or family, not strangers.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Not me, kid. I avoid direct human contact just as many seriously depressed people do, it's painful (with the exception of the internet, which is not at all difficult to me for whatever reason). Going outside is painful, sunlight is painful, doing much of anything including taking a shower or putting on clothes feels like more trouble than it's worth ...... it's very hard for a person without serious, long term depression to understand what it's like.

ETA: here, let me try to give an example. Have you ever worked hard all day long at something physically and emotionally exhausting? And then at the end of the day you don't feel like talking to anyone, you just feel achy and crappy, and hope for sleep to restore you. But you can't sleep for a long time because you're so wound up, and maybe you pound some liquor or smoke a joint just to feel better, relax and go to sleep/oblivion. Then in the morning you wake up feeling refreshed and energetic again, and you can cope with a few aches and enjoy the company of friends again.

For a depressed person, it's like all of that except that he or she doesn't feel refreshed and rejuvenated after waking up. The stuff that happened before waking up in the morning is what that person feels almost ALL the time, for months or years on end. Tired, maybe achy, unsocial, attempts to "fix" the problem with alcohol or drugs ......just hoping for some good sleep ..... or oblivion .....

Last edited by Woof; 08-31-2011 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
There's a small chance the Op is for real.
We've all seen posts on every forum that make you wonder, but I don't see where you're coming from on this one. And considering it's a thread about serious depression I don't see what need there is to make that comment when it's just speculation. Like someone else said, the thread gave a lot of other people a chance to share their feelings so it's been of value.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:46 PM

120 posts, read 313,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
We've all seen posts on every forum that make you wonder, but I don't see where you're coming from on this one. And considering it's a thread about serious depression I don't see what need there is to make that comment when it's just speculation. Like someone else said, the thread gave a lot of other people a chance to share their feelings so it's been of value.
I guess I'm just more cynical than the average person. Can anybody help me with that ?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
I guess I'm just more cynical than the average person. Can anybody help me with that ?
There's probably a good reason why you consider yourself cynical. Maybe life has shown that you cannot believe everything you hear. I have to say that, after I "shared" on the thread, I began to think it might be someone yanking everyone's chain. But how can we really know? You either trust the words of someone or you don't. A little cynicism is good, imo. Keeps you grounded in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health