Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:34 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times

Advertisements

OMG, I swear i just read this entire thread!! It was heartbreaking. All i wanna say is to the people to want to commite suicide: please DONT. If you need someone to talk to, someone to spill all your sadness to, please contact me, pm me, i can give you my e-mail and we can chat through MSN or i could even download that skype thing and we could chat. PLEASE.

I know how it feels like. I know. My sister had more like 20 suicide attempts (and she was as near death as you can be) and something still wants her to be in this world, cause miraclously she is still alive. Myself, i dealt with a lot of what you guys are talking about, the alienating yourself from EVERYONE, the lack of prospects or future, the prercibing yourself as failure, the MISSING SOMEONE to the point you cant breathe withouth that person, the thought of dying everyday. I never pshysically tried it, like my sister did, but i ve been there, A LOT. I believe I can help. I believe we can all help eachother. I believe people that feel like this need to CONNECT with other people or all will turn out worst. And i talk from experience. When i alienated myself from everyone out of embarassment of myself, it was the worst moment of my life. PLEASE, DO NOT ALIENATE YOURSELF.

Altguy, and everyone else that feel like this, contact me, PM me, we can talk. I know it might seem like nothing to you, but it might end up being a lot, sometimes you have to talk out whatever is giving you this inmense pain, maybe you will see light at the end of the tunnel while sharing your experience. But DONT alienate yourself. I know im a stranger, but you people can count on me if you want someone to talk with.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Good grief, majoring in Engineering is enough to make anyone suicidal. Switch to something sane and releaxing, like pre-med or business. Or better yet, just drop out, and be a waiter or something. Enjoy your life. A college degree or lack thereof is not something to get suicidal over.

I know this much, when suicide looks like the answer to problems, it is time to take a critical look at what is causing the stress, and change that.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:14 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kloten View Post
I'm taking engineering as well. The workload is just immense. My social life has always been sporadic because as I'm not as bright as most of my colleagues, I have to study a lot more and I'm still a pro at failing exams.

But I'm taking care of putting an end to this.
This just reinforces what I said earlier. I have come to the conclusion that engineers are a different breed from the rest of us. You either have an engineer brain or you don't and just b/c you don't does not mean that you're not smart. Look, my dad was an engineer and he was the "type." Nowadays, whenever I talk to someone who wants to be an engineer I always tell them to start with a drafting class and see how they do. If it's too hard then you won't be an engineer no matter how hard you try or how much sleep you lose b/c it is a special way of seeing and only a small percentage of us have that ability.

Please, don't lose your life or mind over this. Honestly, do what I did, even though it sounds crazy. Drop those classes and start over. I waited till the end of the semester when it was too late to drop classes and it ruined my GPA but it was still worth it to drop out. Lost a lot of money and it was still worth it b/c I still have my life and my hair. I agree with Jasper--switch to something sane and don't beat yourself up over this--blame God, cuz it's the way you're made. If you can't bring yourself to drop all your classes then drop the worst ones and take something you know you're good at next time around. Go into ag. (Sorry folks, inside joke!) If engineering ain't your thing, how bad do you think it would be to work in the industry where you always feel less than your co-workers? Get out now! Oh, and dad always said that he could tell the real engineers--they were the ones who felt a strong yen to take stuff apart when they were kids. They had nerd hobbies. But I had nerd hobbies too, so go figure.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
I think suicidal thoughts are pretty common...it's only when one loses all hope that they put it into action.
I've had clinical depression since I was a kid, and the thoughts cross my mind often...but, my kids keep me wondering what I'll miss if I weren't here.
We only live once...why not stick around and see what positive things may come your way? <3

Old 10-23-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I think suicidal thoughts are pretty common...it's only when one loses all hope that they put it into action.
I've had clinical depression since I was a kid, and the thoughts cross my mind often...but, my kids keep me wondering what I'll miss if I weren't here.
We only live once...why not stick around and see what positive things may come your way? <3
I agree--something interesting is always bound to happen and if you're open to it you'll see it. Also, keep up with your sleep--everything always looks worse when you're sleep deprived.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I was even more mad when I was told I could have died at birth because of a breathing complication. But as if there weren't enough crappy lives in the world, I had to survive.
And there's a reason you're still here which you have yet to find. Will you check in and let us know you're still here? Atlguy too--haven't heard from you in awhile. bson's trying to lose weight so I think he'll be fine.

I agree with woof--you are obviously still very bright but quite possibly in the wrong field. Please don't deprive the world of your gifts and leave all the dumbsh*ts here. We need you.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:04 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
In reading this thread I have to say that I really just wish that people who are seriously considering suicide would deeply think about the fact that they were ALL created for a specific purpose here on earth. We are ALL connected, our lives are ALL intertwined. We ALL matter. Your purpose may be to save the life of a person 8 years from now who goes on to have a child who cures cancer or diabetes. I am convinced that things (both good and bad) absolutely happen for a reason. It is so important to push through whatever hurt or pain that you are going through and come out on the other side of it because your life has an irreplacable purpose.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM

9 posts, read 10,386 times
After what I went through to be where I am, I couldn't just leave it, my parents would go mad. But this won't last much longer, so it doesn't mastter anymore now. There's already a date and a time, I just need one more piece of equipment to do it.

University is the main problem but not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
This just reinforces what I said earlier. I have come to the conclusion that engineers are a different breed from the rest of us. You either have an engineer brain or you don't and just b/c you don't does not mean that you're not smart. Look, my dad was an engineer and he was the "type." Nowadays, whenever I talk to someone who wants to be an engineer I always tell them to start with a drafting class and see how they do. If it's too hard then you won't be an engineer no matter how hard you try or how much sleep you lose b/c it is a special way of seeing and only a small percentage of us have that ability.

Please, don't lose your life or mind over this. Honestly, do what I did, even though it sounds crazy. Drop those classes and start over. I waited till the end of the semester when it was too late to drop classes and it ruined my GPA but it was still worth it to drop out. Lost a lot of money and it was still worth it b/c I still have my life and my hair. I agree with Jasper--switch to something sane and don't beat yourself up over this--blame God, cuz it's the way you're made. If you can't bring yourself to drop all your classes then drop the worst ones and take something you know you're good at next time around. Go into ag. (Sorry folks, inside joke!) If engineering ain't your thing, how bad do you think it would be to work in the industry where you always feel less than your co-workers? Get out now! Oh, and dad always said that he could tell the real engineers--they were the ones who felt a strong yen to take stuff apart when they were kids. They had nerd hobbies. But I had nerd hobbies too, so go figure.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
After what I went through to be where I am, I couldn't just leave it, my parents would go mad. But this won't last much longer, so it doesn't mastter anymore now. There's already a date and a time, I just need one more piece of equipment to do it.

University is the main problem but not the only one.
OMG, listen to yourself! Your parents would go mad? How do you think they'll feel if you kill yourself? If I lost a child I would want to die. It is the absolute most horrible thing that I can imagine happening and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Besides that--yes you did work hard to get where you are but that doesn't mean it's all wasted if you do something else--you still have the math and science classes behind you I'm assuming, and those can transfer into something else.

And after what you went through to get where you are, you can't just leave it? What about life? What did you go through in life to get where you are? You can't just leave it! Leave engineering though--you won't be happy in your career either. Please talk to someone--we're here, but there are others nearby who might help. A religious person if you have a faith, a trusted professor, a good friend. I'd say a parent but it sounds like yours may be a bit clueless? But if I'm wrong, go talk to them and lay this all out--tell them you're so stressed out by this major that you want to die and I'm betting they will back off.

It's your life, not your folks and you must call the shots. If they've been paying for your education, and will only pay for engineering, then why not take a year off and work and then pay your own way? There is always another way. Always.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 AM

9 posts, read 10,386 times
My parents are in their 50s and they still come from a generation when you had children by tradition not because you really wanted them. They couldn't care less.

I've left 3 math classes but like I said, it was all crap now, it won't matter in a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health