Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,993,043 times

Advertisements

Does music make you feel better or worse when you are already mentally down on your knees?
What picks you up or makes you go over the cliff?

I have been listening to Black Metal a lot the last couple of months and I am not sure what that does to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 AM

11 posts, read 11,607 times
Music always influences people. I usually listen to two genres of music. Rock and classics. When I'm very angry I listen to something very hard from rock, for example something from "Three days Grace". And when I'm thoughtful and in a romantic mood some tender classics like Gabriel Faure's "Pavane". By the way I recently have found a new disk with the same name "Pavane", at eclassical.com, it's performed by Maxim Rysanov and all compositions there made me so calm and happy... Don't know how to explain it, but I simply wanted to cover myself with them like with the warm blanket...

Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,323,880 times
If I am "feeling down", upbeat music (which I like) is not going to help much.

What helps me the most is if someone says something nice to me. Or interaction with other people. Just chatting a bit with a neighbor or whatever can work wonders!

The trick is to find someone positive to talk to. And of course don't talk about "feeling down", rather talk about anything other than that.

FYI - I find the following music "upbeat"...
(Turn it up loud and do things around the house, get ready to go somewhere, etc.)

Mr. Roboto- Styx - YouTube

The Jam - Town Called Malice - YouTube

Darryl Worley - Tennessee River Run - YouTube

Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,314,028 times
When I'm down, Irish celtic folk always brings me out of it. I think its the under laying strength in the music. Its music of people who had troubles, but chiose to go on and dance anyway. I have a whole collection on the computer which gets played through the good speakers with the tv setup when I have to do boring things since then they don't get noticed.

Music is said to have a direct brain connection, much as color does. Drumming, for instance, is found universally, and has the same effect of pulling people together. I think part of what can pull us out of a sinkhole is dependent on the music itself and how it connects and our own memories and meanings. And what we like, of course.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,237,387 times
Yeah, there was a couple of decades during which I would from time to time get depressed. At some point I learned that I could put on an Eagles tape, theirs being the rock music I preferred at the time. In short order I'd be singing along and by the end of the second tune I wouldn't be depressed. If there was ever a charm that worked for me, that was it.

With availabilities on the Internet, I now just self medicate. Don't need no stinkin' depression to have a party. But I mostly listen to Zen music on direcTV Sonic TAP.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,188,659 times
The music I am listening to is often influenced by my mood.

Right now~

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Crossfire - YouTube

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Music is also a window to a man's soul....

Doc Holliday - Dead Man's Road - YouTube

Doc Holliday - Keep On Running - YouTube

Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM

5,614 posts, read 6,553,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
The music I am listening to is often influenced by my mood.

Right now~

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Crossfire - YouTube
My mood was just depressed by watching this video by SRV because I was just getting into him when he died. So it was bittersweet to watch this video, and made me feel sad.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
My mood was just depressed by watching this video by SRV because I was just getting into him when he died. So it was bittersweet to watch this video, and made me feel sad.
I never get tired of watching one of the best (at least top 5) guitar players of all time.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,578,015 times
Music does affect my mood, but I also use it to calm me down when I'm angry, boost me a up a little when I'm sad, etc. I'm not saying that I listen to "Walking on Sunshine" when I'm depressed (that song would just make it worse! Haha...), but I can't stay depressed when listening to songs like "Say Hey (I Love You)" by Michael Franti. (Example: I just found this video on You Tube, and I'm already "chair-dancing" - makes typing rather difficult! )

Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey (I Love You) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health