Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:59 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Both coffee and coconut oil come with the side effect that they can make your blood sugar levels worse, which has relevance for Alzheimer's prevention. Here's a recent article on coconut oil.

Should you really be putting coconut oil in everything?
Oh there are so many pros and cons to EVERYTHING today. One has to choose wisely and there is plenty of info on the use of Coconut that are MORE Positives than Negatives.

Omega 3 oils have been pushed for many years and do we really KNOW who effective they truly are. I take them but wonder about it all.... and I'm not a fan of pharma believe me.

Everyone has their special interests and again one has to decide how to spend their money and on whom.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-20-2017 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 03:39 PM

Just bringing up taking care of the caregiver in all of this. I'm a pretty firm believer in Coconut Oil and believe it's here to stay. Trendy, I don't believe that. It's the main oil in many parts of the world. Finally made it to the U.S. We're often last in many areas. Grape Seed Extract and Pycnogenol were in Europe (France) 40 yrs or more and finally got to the U.S. in about 1994. I'm on it since 1995, mind is good at 79 and believe this antioxidant is helping too.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:42 PM

More on Brain Supports:

Brain boosters, effective & safe?

Old 01-03-2018, 06:22 PM

More to chew on:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0617165716.htm

Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,526,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
A lot of these do-it-yourself things are blood thinners. You could do the same thing by drinking coffee since it dilates the blood vessels in the brain and reduces calcification (plaque) in the blood vessels.

https://www.alzheimers.net/5-4-15-co...nt-alzheimers/
Yep, coffee and red wine are the way to go for me!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I drink two glasses of red wine nearly every night.

Just started on Black Seed Oil. WOW. The research on this oil is very promising.

Quote:
Historically, black seed has been used for headache, toothache, nasal congestion, and intestinal worms. It has also been used for “pink eye” (conjunctivitis), pockets of infection (abscesses), and parasites.

Today, black seed is used for treating digestive tract conditions including gas, colic, diarrhea, dysentery, constipation, and hemorrhoids. It is also used for respiratory conditions including asthma, allergies, cough, bronchitis, emphysema, flu, swine flu, and congestion.

Other uses include lowering blood pressure, lowering cholesterol levels, treating cancer, and boosting the immune system.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...e=black%20seed

I drink about three cups of coffee in the morning, and then one or two glasses of tea (sometimes black tea, sometimes herbal tea) during the day. I had my DNA tested and one of the oddities about me is that I am missing the gene that predisposes one to being sensitive to caffeine - most people have it but I don't, which makes sense because I can drink a cup of strong coffee at 11 pm and then go straight to bed without a single toss or turn.

I use essential oils quite a bit. I also use grapeseed oil and almond oil as a moisturizer and as an oil carrier for essential oils. I occasionally use coconut oil for various things but it's not the only oil I use.

I have slightly "high cholesterol" but it's ONLY high because my "good cholesterol" is so high. So my doctors always tell me not to worry about it a bit. So I don't.

The only worry I have is that my platelet count is a bit higher than normal and a bit higher than my doctors would like for it to be. Considering both my parents had strokes, I do pay close attention to that and so does my doctor. But so far all they've recommended is a baby aspirin per day. But the Black Seed Oil is supposed to be good for blood that's prone to clotting. We'll see.

So far so good. 56 years old and not on any meds at all and my yearly lab work is picture perfect except for that pesky platelet thing - but it's hovering just above the high end of normal so I'm not freaked out.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:56 PM

KA: I started with grape seed extract actually pycnogenol at 57, that is 22 yrs ago. I take a couple meds for pesky blood pressure and thyroid support and that's it. I use Black Seed Oil for rubbing on my arthritic knee...could not get to taking it internally, I tried. I'm banking on grape seed ex for cancer prevention and memory issues.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
KA: I started with grape seed extract actually pycnogenol at 57, that is 22 yrs ago. I take a couple meds for pesky blood pressure and thyroid support and that's it. I use Black Seed Oil for rubbing on my arthritic knee...could not get to taking it internally, I tried. I'm banking on grape seed ex for cancer prevention and memory issues.
I think the properties are very similar from what I've researched.

I can only take it in capsule form. I'm not one for taking any of these oils straight from a spoon - LOL. Anyway, both grape seed oil and black seed oil are supposedly good for cancer prevention, dementia, etc. I guess grape seed oil too - but I know that black seed oil can have a positive effect on some high blood pressure though of course I would never recommend that anyone get off their BP meds.

How well does the black seed oil work on your knee? I've heard it's beneficial.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 PM

My knee is so nasty from the staph infection and mess I've been thru with hospital and rehabs and lack of diagnosis, so knee is somewhat deformed along with arthritis so I try so many products and black seed oil does pretty well. I so fear a knee replacement, don't even know if surgeon would do one as I've not seen him since last Jan when I was still in wheelchair. So I work on managing this knee as best I find out there. I may check in with surgeon this year to get his thoughts...but surgery for me is very fearful. I didn't have greatest results from hip replacement.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:20 PM

Everyone could truly benefit by meditation. I just started a thread in Alt Med and thought I'd add some links here:

https://www.alzheimers.net/2013-11-2...ow-alzheimers/

https://www.prevention.com/health/br...s-and-dementia

Meditation is so powerful and good lord the caregivers NEED all the power they can muster up.

My neighbor meditates and sees her husband's declining and tries so to get him into a more meditative place but he doesn't....she does her own work for HERSELF. She needs to keep strong.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-21-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health