Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
A lot of these do-it-yourself things are blood thinners. You could do the same thing by drinking coffee since it dilates the blood vessels in the brain and reduces calcification (plaque) in the blood vessels.

https://www.alzheimers.net/5-4-15-co...nt-alzheimers/
I do drink 1 cup of organic coffee in AM but don't want to be hyped up on coffee all day to dilate blood vessels. Plus Grape Seed Ex has SO MANY benefits for so many other health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 02:57 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times
A lot of it is genetic since the gene is found in most people. I recall that the probabilities are 50 percent and 80 percent by the age of 90 for males and females, respectively, for some level of dementia.

"Apolipoprotein E (ApoE) is a protein that carries fatty substances called lipids and cholesterol around the brain and plays an important role in repair mechanisms. There are three major forms of ApoE (i.e., ApoE2, ApoE3, and ApoE4); individuals who carry ApoE4 are up to 10 times more likely to develop Alzheimer's than those with ApoE2 and ApoE3 forms. ApoE4 promotes accumulation of the b-amyloid protein that causes the characteristic plaques seen in the brains of Alzheimer's patients."

http://=https://www.sciencedaily.com...01804.htm]link

Old 04-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
A lot of it is genetic since the gene is found in most people. I recall that the probabilities are 50 percent and 80 percent by the age of 90 for males and females, respectively, for some level of dementia.

"Apolipoprotein E (ApoE) is a protein that carries fatty substances called lipids and cholesterol around the brain and plays an important role in repair mechanisms. There are three major forms of ApoE (i.e., ApoE2, ApoE3, and ApoE4); individuals who carry ApoE4 are up to 10 times more likely to develop Alzheimer's than those with ApoE2 and ApoE3 forms. ApoE4 promotes accumulation of the b-amyloid protein that causes the characteristic plaques seen in the brains of Alzheimer's patients."

http://=https://www.sciencedaily.com...01804.htm]link
I think about prevention in all of my life and health issues for sure and if there are chances of preventing, I'm all for anything. And, of course, we don't know, no guarantees. Many go to 100+ and no dementia and no nutritional supplements...it's all in what you want to gamble on or not.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Default Speaking of dementia...

In my travels on the internet sometimes one thing seems to lead to another so, for what it's worth I thought I would share this with you all; make of it what you will. My parents are both long gone so I really wish I had more information at that time, they were both wonderful human beings.

Real world application

The Hebrew Home of Riverdale, New York has started an experimental program in which residents with early dementia watch a video every morning in which they see comforting messages and reminders from family members that they may still know. After April 2015, the program may include more residents. Robert Abrams of New York–Presbyterian Hospital considered this idea "both innovative and thoughtful." Charlotte Dell, director of social services for the home, said the program was inspired by 50 First Dates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_First_Dates

Dementia Assistance Programs | Memory Program | Dementia and Art | Dementia Activities | Dementia Caregivers | Memory Recall | Mind Fitness | Dementia Training | Dementia Advocacy | Aging Programs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've read that 70% of dementia (or was it Alzheimer's?) is hereditary and the other 30% is environmental. Probably there's no hard and fast rule--I mean it could be hereditary for you but you could still do a lot to prevent it.

Diet is important because we are what we eat. The diet is called the MIND diet.

https://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/fea...mers-disease#1

Green leafy vegetables, other vegetables, nuts, berries, beans, whole grains, fish, poultry, olive oil, wine. LOTS of green leafy vegetables, only ONE glass of wine!

Old 04-17-2019, 03:56 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,310,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I think about prevention in all of my life and health issues for sure and if there are chances of preventing, I'm all for anything. And, of course, we don't know, no guarantees. Many go to 100+ and no dementia and no nutritional supplements...it's all in what you want to gamble on or not.
I have heard that only about 10% of people over 90 years old are good both physically and mentally. You may well find yourself in that group at a later stage.

However some compassion is needed for all the others who are not so fortunate. The current medical thinking is that our health outcomes are probably about 50% genetic and 50% environmental.

Also many have not had the opportunity to control all the factors that contribute to good health. An example is the fact that 70% of Australians develop skin cancer in their lifetime, albeit mostly non-life threatening. When we were children, the culture encouraged maximum sun exposure and most people did not understand the risks involved. Same as smoking was only shown to be so damaging not so long ago.

My cousin died of dementia last year at 67, having the predictive gene inherited from her mother. She actually died seven years earlier than her mother and also her grandmother. No amount of nutritional supplements or other health measures would have stopped this horrible disease.

The gamble that she lost was the genetic gamble and we hope sincerely that her son has avoided it.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:45 PM

Just read a couple new dementia stories and all I can say is the caregivers take care of themselves with as much prevention as they can grasp. For me and I'm 81 soon I'm counting on the Grape Seed Extract I've been taking for years and Coconut Oil for some yrs....both support prevention and I've posted this a lot in this thread and one can find info on both and the memory.

Then there is the info on the need for fats for the brain and personally I believe those statin drugs have been such a disservice.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-25-2019 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 06:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I agree totally about the statin drugs. My husband took them for about a week and they messed up his mind so much that he said "To heck with this, I'd rather die of a heart attack."

Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree totally about the statin drugs. My husband took them for about a week and they messed up his mind so much that he said "To heck with this, I'd rather die of a heart attack."
Makes me wonder how many of the dementia stories are from those who took or take statins. Statins were never a word in my parent's lives and they lived into early and mid 90's and left with good minds. Going is hard enough but why not have some control of what is going on. I want that.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:08 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Has your husband ever HAD a heart attack? He might change his mind after undergoing one. After mine last year, I happily swallow my statin pill every night along with my other heart meds because I certainly don't want to have to go through that experience again if I can possibly avoid it.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:16 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
My husband and two of his best friends all had significant side effects from statins. One friend became partially paralyzed. My husband was clenching his teeth and biting his tongue and had muscle complications.

It is not something for the masses but for the targeted population with diagnosed heart issues. Not to be used as a money making machine by pharma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health