Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:35 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times

Advertisements

Guidelines no longer recommend statins for primary prevention. If you haven't had a heart attack or stroke and the doctor is prescribing a statin, he or she is being more aggressive than common practice and the data shows no difference in outcome. There are a lot of different statins out there, and there are recognized problems with statins. I know people that are prescribed Ubiquinol with their statin to alleviate the side effects. Switching to a less potent statin is common also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 05:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Makes me wonder how many of the dementia stories are from those who took or take statins. Statins were never a word in my parent's lives and they lived into early and mid 90's and left with good minds. Going is hard enough but why not have some control of what is going on. I want that.
My dad took statins until the day he died. I don't know what was wrong with his GP who kept prescribing and my mom trusts that DR. completely. I won't be taking statins at all. I'd rather die of a heart attack also.

I don't buy the coconut oil stuff but I think I may start taking grape seed extract.

IMHO, anxiety is a HUGE factor. My dad was an air force pilot in vietnam. Then he came home and lived the rest of his life with my mom who could make anyone a nervous wreck.

I'm 50, and when my anxiety shoots up due to stuff happening in my life, my memory goes to pot. I'm trying to simplify my life but it isn't easy.

Learning a second language or practicing/performing music in any way are also good for you!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:47 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
My dad took statins until the day he died. I don't know what was wrong with his GP who kept prescribing and my mom trusts that DR. completely. I won't be taking statins at all. I'd rather die of a heart attack also.

I don't buy the coconut oil stuff but I think I may start taking grape seed extract.

IMHO, anxiety is a HUGE factor. My dad was an air force pilot in vietnam. Then he came home and lived the rest of his life with my mom who could make anyone a nervous wreck.

I'm 50, and when my anxiety shoots up due to stuff happening in my life, my memory goes to pot. I'm trying to simplify my life but it isn't easy.

Learning a second language or practicing/performing music in any way are also good for you!
Many around here think I'm a kook regarding my attitude on drugs and docs and that's their choice...I believe the drugs do more damage than good in many cases and there is so much info on the cholesterol myth which is why these drugs are pushed. People just trust docs...I'm a huge exception. I've done my work for the last 25 yrs and there is so much supports out there besides the pharma drugs....believe me. It' so true. Keep in mind the MD's need us to be sick to take their dangerous drugs.

You can simply your life, one step at a time, I did that about 20+ yrs ago and amazing how well I do at 81 soon.

I take some good calming supplements too and besides the work I've done these supps help too.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:10 PM

This report says a lot, it's posted in H&W and perhaps some of you don't go there.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3666959/

Old 06-27-2019, 03:23 PM

umm, moved, it was doing a good job in Caregiver area and directed to the caregivers of those with dementia and alz...

Old 06-27-2019, 06:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
The Pasinetti study's main problem is that it is more than ten years old, which, in the field of neurobiological reasearch, is an eternity.

It would be interesting to see replication studies, followup, where the research has gone since.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The Pasinetti study's main problem is that it is more than ten years old, which, in the field of neurobiological reasearch, is an eternity.

It would be interesting to see replication studies, followup, where the research has gone since.
Well, I didn't notice the date of the report but that means to me Grape Seed Extract has been around and being used 10 yrs more now, I found it in 1996 a year after I found Pycnogenol. So I'm talking 25 yrs of use.

Have no idea how much time and money the Grape Seed Industry wants to put into their product that sells for like $20 or so for a month or more supply vs the drug industry who's drugs go for $100 or so for a month or so. We certainly don't see GSE ads splashed on the TV and can only believe it's a word of mouth and the net and books etc.

I said to myself over 20 yrs ago IF everyone who could take GSE in our country/world, the improved health issues would be monumental. The drug companies would be screaming for sick people to treat.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-27-2019 at 07:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 07:45 AM

It is logical that blood thinners will help the amyloid plaque to be cleared from the brain. Aspirin, other anti-hypertension medications, grape seed extract, and many of the other anti-inflammatory supplements have the same property. It's not clear that it constitutes absolute protection or a cure as people have been taking these medications and supplements for many years.

link

It takes decades to develop Alzheimer's. There are short-term studies of Metformin, diabetes, and Alzheimer's which are all favorable. The same studies that followed patients over 15 to 20 years are all negative.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
It’s been noted for years (decades) that the brains of Alzheimer’s patients show signs of a persistent inflammation response, leading some to wonder whether Alzheimer’s leads to inflammation or inflammation leads to Alzheimer’s. With that in mind, basically every single anti-inflammatory therapy has had a look at it for potential Alzheimer’s use, starting with aspirin and ibuprofen and going up to the anti-TNF antibodies like Enbrel.
Enbrel trial

low-dose aspirin study in 2018 looked promising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health