Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 PM

344 posts, read 1,052,989 times

Advertisements

The plan: learn spanish, and work on my online businesses/websites with my free time.

I've heard good things about 3 locations. i listed them below and would appreciate feedback and/or new suggestions for areas I haven't considered.

I'm looking for decent or low cost of living, relatively safe, good internet speeds/reliability! I need internet.

1. Oaxaca
2. Playa Del Carmen
3. Baja Del Sur.. .maybe Todos Los Santos? I don't know specifically where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 05:38 PM

155 posts, read 360,665 times
All three are excellent. But, have you ever considered Guanajuato City? (You shoud).

Bienvenido a Mexico.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 PM

^^ Thanks, never considered Guanajuato City. It might be a bit far from the ocean for me. I'd love to learn to surf, and I already enjoy sailing so that's something I'd try to do with my free time. But I'll look into it.

Which would you choose from the 3 I posted above? If they're all a tie, which one has the best bang for your buck (cost of living)

Old 08-07-2013, 09:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
Dontcha gotta get a work visa for this?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Dontcha gotta get a work visa for this?
I doubt it. If his online business results in being paid in currency other than Mexican Pesos, he can just have his earnings direct deposited to his bank outside Mexico, and Mexico's government has no way of knowing that he had ever been paid.

As for the OPs question, go where you will feel most comfortable with your lifestyle, the opportunities to learn Spanish will be the same.

Your internet speeds are going to seem slow to you, unless what you do is nearly all text. Nationwide, Mexico's internet speeds average about 11 Mbps, compared to 18 Mbps in the USA. You'll probably find faster speeds in larger cities, so Oaxaca might be your best bet..

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I doubt it. If his online business results in being paid in currency other than Mexican Pesos, he can just have his earnings direct deposited to his bank outside Mexico, and Mexico's government has no way of knowing that he had ever been paid.

As for the OPs question, go where you will feel most comfortable with your lifestyle, the opportunities to learn Spanish will be the same.

Your internet speeds are going to seem slow to you, unless what you do is nearly all text. Nationwide, Mexico's internet speeds average about 11 Mbps, compared to 18 Mbps in the USA. You'll probably find faster speeds in larger cities, so Oaxaca might be your best bet..
definitely don't need a work visa for online stuff that I'm doing.

Thanks for the internet speed advice.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
Might be hard to learn in Playa del Carmen or Todos Santos, both are kind of small places where you will run into a lot of English speakers so not so sure you will learn at the level you should. Oaxaca and Guanajuato are great destinations to learn Spanish. Guadalajara will have the best internet options in Mexico and is an easy trip to the sea. Will depend on how much you want big city or smaller town.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:08 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I'm looking for decent or low cost of living, relatively safe, good internet speeds/reliability! I need internet.

1. Oaxaca
2. Playa Del Carmen
3. Baja Del Sur.. .maybe Todos Los Santos? I don't know specifically where.
Most of the foreign visitors to Oaxaca City are from Europe, so the cost of living is the lowest of the three. The Oaxacan coast was developed in the 1980's. Puerto Escondido has very young expats, and killer waves. Very tough place to learn to surf. Good way to die.

Huatulco is mostly a resort for middle aged clients (from Mexico City and Britain primarily).

The drive from Oaxaca City to Puerto Escondido is deceptively close on a map. It's listed at 257 km (159.6 miles) and 3 hours and 13 minutes (average speed of 49.6 miles per hour) on Google Earth. It is optimistic. The vans are terrifying and they take close to 4-5 hours.

A first class bus, by way of Pan American Highway and Salina Cruz and back up the coast. Is 10:35 hours (you normally go overnight) and costs $340 pesos ($27) one way.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
My I suggest that you should learn Spanish via Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur first and then perfect your Spanish locally. You will run into too many English speakers to really advance if you go where the surfing is. I've never heard of the lower state of Baja called "del Sur". I think it is either Baja California Sur or Baja Sur. ¡Those that speak better Spanish than I do, are free to correct me!

In terms of surfing. an area south of Todos Santos is well regarded as well as a nice break just outside of San Jose del Cabo.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:12 PM

thanks for the info guys! I appreciate all the responses.

Any thoughts on Merida?

seems like it's in a safe state (Yucatan) and is somewhat large and near the ocean?

edit:
and based on the all responses, it sounds like Mexico is extremely varied and interesting and excited. Maybe I should spend a month exploring before settling down =) Mexico is a huge country and I know nothing about it really. Kind of exciting to think about the possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico