Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 10:57 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,100,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
He's just asking why they don't want to learn English. We all understand Mexico can do what they want in their country.

Most countries that rely a lot on tourism and trade, make foreign languages a priority in education. Mexico does a lot of tourism and trade.
You guys are being completely ridiculous. You're making broad generalizations from the employees of a single McDonald's in Tijuana. How is that possibly representative? Also, it's completely possible that many would like to learn English, but you know... work at places like McDonald's and can't afford expensive ESL classes. Most schools in Mexico teach basic English, but just like foreign-language classes in the US, outside of college, few students retain much of it because it's rare that they would use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Is it so strange? I guess your native language is English.
For most (young) people in the world, learning a foreign language (to some extent) is the norm.
The vast majority of Americans do not know any foreign language. Most of the world may take a few classes here or there, but that's a lot different than saying they can hold a real conversation.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
He must really hate the word "up"

Get up
Screw up
wind up
tie up
go up
fix up
straighten up
warm up
fire up
light up

And let's not even get into the word "set" which has like 150 different uses.

Phrasal verbs are a nightmare for non-English speakers.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:58 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,344,597 times
Quote:
I have said many times that I talked to local people in TJ and quite a few young people I talked to spoke next to zero English, which was a surprise to me. Why can't you just understand it?
It's probably like the wife of the Japanese Prime Minister, remember that she pretended she didn't speak English when she was with the Trumps but she is fluent?

I've lived in Mexico for 12 years and barely speak any Spanish, yet non-English speaking Mexicans try very hard to communicate with me.

English is harder to learn than Spanish.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:04 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,187,436 times
It is not just the border areas. English speakers are also not as commonly found in Mexico City as in a large European city. I've met people whose job is to deal with visitors at the Presidential Palace who do not know enough English to tell me where the bath room is. There are also major, touristy museums like the one in Chapultepec that had staff who spoke almost no English. Some of these sites even lack English signs.
Comparable institutions in Europe and Asia would have staff with basic English knowledge.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,999,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
No effort in code switching sometimes does not mean they don't speak any English. It's just that they want you to switch to their language or make some effort.
Well, it is their country.

We are, at best, guests.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:20 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,949,988 times
Years ago I lost my Passport after arriving in MC.
Next day took a Taxi to the US Consulate where a young Mexican girl understood my problem and I was taken upstairs where a letter was typed verifying that I was a US citizen for the Mexican Migra at the Airport.

Fast forward to the old US Consulate in TJ. Half dozen M/F Mexican Security? at the front window..
....No speak English.

How is an American supposed to get inside for any help?

They did get across to me that I had to phone for an appointment...how nice.

If your robbed, no money or Passport, still have to phone for an appointment.

A US Consulate needs to have at least ONE person at the front window or Entrance that is fluid in English.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:33 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,878,679 times
Quote:
It's not what I'm asking. Read my post.
I did read your post. You wonder why Mexican citizens serving American citizens in McDonalds in a border town do not know how to speak English. My question for you is "why should they?" Tijuana is in Mexico correct? English is not the official language of Mexico. Is it? It seems very disrespectful to me to expect a Mexican to speak English in Mexico. If you want to visit in Mexico at least have SOME respect for the locals and learn a few basic words in the common language, a

Old 07-31-2017, 01:50 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,237,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
A US Consulate needs to have at least ONE person at the front window or Entrance that is fluid in English.
But that is fault of the US Consulate, how is that now with Trump everything is Mexico fault?

Old 07-31-2017, 02:33 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,480,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I did read your post. You wonder why Mexican citizens serving American citizens in McDonalds in a border town do not know how to speak English. My question for you is "why should they?" Tijuana is in Mexico correct? English is not the official language of Mexico. Is it? It seems very disrespectful to me to expect a Mexican to speak English in Mexico. If you want to visit in Mexico at least have SOME respect for the locals and learn a few basic words in the common language, a
It's what I posted more than once in this thread! SMH, TJ is in Mexico! WTF does the OP want!? And BTW, if one cannot decipher the McDonald's menu with all the pictures for EVERY item, then I don't know what to say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico