Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 12:05 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
But why are they so short and their women short and fat...Thats not caucasian like found in the usa
Not all Mexicans are short....try going to the North and Western parts (like Jalisco)....most Mexicans there are of mostly European descent or mestizo descent (it means mixed Amerindian and European: NOT full Amerindian)

The southern Mexican states tend to be people of mostly or full Amerindian descent and short. Nothing wrong with that....but it is rather annoying explaining to Americans, Canadians, and even Brits that I am Mexican of Mestizo descent and not *insert wrong racial category* just because I am not short nor dark brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 12:09 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Why do Hispanics regard more white-complected people as better? That’s much more fascinating to me.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 AM

126 posts, read 97,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
But why are they so short and their women short and fat...Thats not caucasian like found in the usa

In the US people are also terribly fat, perhaps not as short as Mexicans, but I remember flying from Colombia to the US and as soon as I got out of the customs area the sheer amount of big people was notorious.

I also get that feeling when flying from Europe to the US, you can tell you are in America because of all the fat people.

However both Mexico and the US top the charts on world obesity. Colombia and Europe not as much. So the contrast would be notorious when flying from these places to Mexico or the US.

Americans in regards to height seem shorter than Europeans and a tad bit taller than Colombians. Mexicans generally while not as short as they used to be, are still shorter.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:59 AM

126 posts, read 97,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Why do Hispanics regard more white-complected people as better? That’s much more fascinating to me.
its not hispanics

since you live in Texas I assume you associate Mexican culture with the entirety of Hispanic cultures.

A region of the world that diverse cannot be considered or called homogeneous, the relation spanish speakers have with skin color vary vastly from region to region or country to country.

Last edited by xiloponeums; 10-15-2019 at 04:44 AM..

Old 10-15-2019, 07:31 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Just watch a beauty pageant or soap opera from a Latin American country the lighter one's are considered beautiful while the darker one's are either considered plain or ugly. It's part of the culture. It's just as strange to me that Anglo Americans seem to prefer women who are bony, without hips, flat buttocks, fake boobs and blonde hair. I don't get that either but different cultures have different standards.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Quote:
Why do Hispanics regard more white-complected people as better?
I don't.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:01 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiloponeums View Post
In the US people are also terribly fat, perhaps not as short as Mexicans, but I remember flying from Colombia to the US and as soon as I got out of the customs area the sheer amount of big people was notorious.
People in Colombia are not thin, either. There's quite a bit of chubbiness. The men tend to eat too much. If you wanna see truly slim people (outside of Asia, of course) go to Spain and Italy.

Regarding the "short, squat" Mexican: this is an indigenous trait. If you look at the Pueblo Indians in New Mexico, who share a lot of the same blood lines with all the Indian tribes down to central Mexico, you see they have the same features - short and stocky, so obviously this is a result of natural selection that occurred thousands of years ago, for whatever reason these features were better suited for survival.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:55 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
People in Colombia are not thin, either. There's quite a bit of chubbiness. The men tend to eat too much. If you wanna see truly slim people (outside of Asia, of course) go to Spain and Italy.

Regarding the "short, squat" Mexican: this is an indigenous trait. If you look at the Pueblo Indians in New Mexico, who share a lot of the same blood lines with all the Indian tribes down to central Mexico, you see they have the same features - short and stocky, so obviously this is a result of natural selection that occurred thousands of years ago, for whatever reason these features were better suited for survival.
Short, squat traits appear to be beneficial for cold, northern latitudes in the arctic, you lose less heat. Those traits likely evolved there in the case of Amerindians. Short stature is also beneficial in dense jungle terrain you can cover more ground in a shorter amount of time(less bending, and swaying).

Old 10-15-2019, 10:06 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiloponeums View Post
its not hispanics

since you live in Texas I assume you associate Mexican culture with the entirety of Hispanic cultures.

A region of the world that diverse cannot be considered or called homogeneous, the relation spanish speakers have with skin color vary vastly from region to region or country to country.
Not really. I married into a Salvadoran family. The older members of the family have an admiration of whites. Some of their friends do the same, including a Brazilian family they are close with. It makes me equal measures uncomfortable and curious.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:30 AM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The criteria for this classification differs based on culture, this board is most frequented by Americans and for some reason lots of Americans out of habit impose their views about race on other cultures. It's a cultural flaw many think they know better than anyone else because they're convinced that Americans are the "best". It's not just the white one's doing it the black one's are just as annoying.
It's a USA trait, evident in people that have been in the USA for generations and those that have begun their acculturation process and have become American enough on that front.

Some people are annoyed by this pervasive attitude, but that's how Americans are with most not being aware of it. Make the world more like the USA is the underlining aspect of this and it has been a feature of the USA since the country was founded in 1777. Its not going to change any time soon. lol

It has nothing to do with skin color or cultural ethnicities, which is why it's present on Americans regardless of those looks. What is evident and correlates with looks is that white Americans tend to be unaware of this and feel they are walking on egg shells vs non-white Americans, particularly if they have ancestry from Sub-Sahara Africa and ties to the USA that consists of many generations, often times before the USA became the USA. Non-white Americans show this trait too, but if the whites tend to be unaware of this, the non-white Americans are definitely unaware of this. To make matters interesting, they often blame white Americans for things is evident in them too, but are definitely unaware of this.

Americans have other traits that encompasses anyone that is definitely Americans, but here you touch on one aspect. Anyway, it's one of the things that can be identified of Americans even when one is met in another country and never mentions they are from the USA. In fact, Americans can be spotted through looks alone and it has nothing to do with the race or how a person physically looks, but it does have to do with how a person dresses, carry themselves, and body language. I say 9 out of 10 times a person that is thought to be from the USA by looks alone will be from there.

It could also be cultural. It's often said that Americans will look first at the race of a non-white person and this is done subconsciously and in a split second. Someone that has an ambiguous racial look or a combination of features that are not usually together will cause a sort of classification problem among Americans, enough that they can't get passed this until they have an answer for this. Its definitely not the case in many other cultures.

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-15-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico