Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 09:54 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,015,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Why is it different? Because you say so? It's not up to you to say who can and can't be English, there are plenty of non-White English people and there's nothing you can do about that.
They will never be viewed as English by the vast majority of English people nor people around the world. You can call yourself whatever you want, it doesn't make it so. I am closer to a mexican than whoever you are describing likely would be to an English as I do have a drop of Mexican blood. So am I mexican now? When I try to tell other mexicans that I am, they simply laugh in my face. I am an American of Anglo descent. Technically I am more English than a foreigner in England. They might be "British" according to their passport but that means nothing. If I moved to Japan and got citizenship I would never be Japanese. I could marry a local and my kids would still not be Japanese. IF I moved to Mexico and got citizenship I wouldn't be a real Mexican. I would be pretty close since Mexico is a new world country and thus a very diverse nation from the beginning, but I would still be an American. My kids could be Mexican. But that is the New World for you. If you moved to America your kids could be American. Your kids will never be Japanese, English, etc. unless that is your race. Globalism will never destroy these cultures, as much as you seem to want it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 03:06 AM

1,877 posts, read 679,310 times
You have a very bizarre and race-obsessed view of the world it seems. The vast majority of people I know don't have any issue seeing a person with DNA traceable to outside the British Isles being English, we all have roots outside the UK at some point in time.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:54 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Obsession over race, does it never end..
One can hope that this global information age will eventually eliminate those obsessions.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 4,852 times
Mexico's "genetic root" has always been native. People of European descent (Northern or Southern) and Africans have always been a minority. Unfortunately, there's a lot of Mexicans with a big inferiority complex trying to prove that Mexico is a white country. This is completely wrong. There's a whole history behind Mexico's genetic makeup but we are not a diverse nation like the United States.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:14 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,038,897 times
It´s for the same reason my Colombian mother in law couldn´t stop laughing the first time she saw a young Barack Obama had been elected president of "the gringo country"...he doesn´t fit the mold of what a North American is "supposed" to look like...he should be Dominican or Caleño or Cuban...no way is he president of the gringos....

Hey look, you´ll never hear me asking an "ethnic" looking person in the States something dumb like "But your family? Where are they REALLY from?". We´ve come too far to be that limited in our thinking. But the fact is, before I spoke Spanish and lived in/visited various parts of Latin America, I too thought that all Mexicans were short, dark-skinned mestizos. It´s all I ever was exposed to growing up in Louisiana, where aside from a few upper and middle-class Hondurans, all we had pre-Katrina were a few migrants all probably from the south of México.

This of course isn´t helped by the average Mexican-American now calling gringos who look like me "white", and themselves "Mexican". It´s a chicken or the egg argument, but I see it ingrained on both sides for the forseeable future.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:10 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,860 times
The majority of Mexicans are mixed race and no, most people I know do not consider them White even though the FBI & most local law agencies classify all Hispanics as White for crime statistical purposes. My Mexican sister in law does not consider herself White at all. She calls herself a 'Brown Mexican'.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,398,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
The majority of Mexicans are mixed race and no, most people I know do not consider them White even though the FBI & most local law agencies classify all Hispanics as White for crime statistical purposes. My Mexican sister in law does not consider herself White at all. She calls herself a 'Brown Mexican'.
I see plenty of Hispanics who look Caucasian. They have dark hair and dark eyes but that doesn't mean they are not caucasian. Many Spanish settlers went to Mexico and so many Mexicans have European DNA.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:31 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
It´s for the same reason my Colombian mother in law couldn´t stop laughing the first time she saw a young Barack Obama had been elected president of "the gringo country"...he doesn´t fit the mold of what a North American is "supposed" to look like...
It's suprising how much the old stereotypes have persisted. In Colombia's case part of it is because few people have had the opportunity to travel outside Colombia, due to lack of resources and tight controls over visas after the 1970s. During the 1980s - 2019, America has certainly become more diversified, while at the same time Colombians had fewer chances to visit. So the old stereotypes persisted.

Quote:
This of course isn´t helped by the average Mexican-American now calling gringos who look like me "white", and themselves "Mexican".
It's even more complicated than that. For example in the neighborhood I grew up, a lot of people had no ties to Mexico, they never referred to themselves as Mexican, and many of them were white (lack of indigenous features). But the Caucasian-American community called them "Mexican" nonetheless.

It'd be easier if everyone just called eachother "human beings".

Old 08-24-2019, 10:05 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

It'd be easier if everyone just called eachother "human beings".
Would be nice...

Old 08-24-2019, 11:33 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,647,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDW View Post
Mexico's "genetic root" has always been native. People of European descent (Northern or Southern) and Africans have always been a minority. Unfortunately, there's a lot of Mexicans with a big inferiority complex trying to prove that Mexico is a white country. This is completely wrong. There's a whole history behind Mexico's genetic makeup but we are not a diverse nation like the United States.
Mexico is an example of syncretism - the genetic and cultural combination of people from multiple ethnicities and continents: (1) Spanish European, (2) indigenous tribes and (3) West Africa. By default, Spain itself is genetically diverse with a human genome encompassing Northern Europe down to Northern Africa and some parts of the Middle East and even Near Asia.

However, the historical and economic reality is that Colonial Spain created a Spanish Casta where those with more Spanish blood were at the top of the caste system. This has perpetuated into modern times socioeconomically. Mexico's socioeconomically elite families tends to be very white and wealthy. They are often educated in the Ivy League. In that demographic subgroup you will see the white phenotype: blonde hair, blue eyes, very fair skin, etc. They are at the top of the casta.

Here is that Spanish caste system (Casta):
Peninsulares: Spaniard born in Spain (Queen Isabella)
Criollos: Spaniard born in the colonies (e.g. General Santa Ana at the Siege of the Alamo)
Castizo: A light-skinned Mexican with mostly Spanish blood. In General Santa Ana's Mexican Army the officers would have most likely been castizos given the reality of the casta
Mestizo: A mixed-blooded indigenous and Spanish person with a darker, brown complexion. Some may also be part West African. These men in Santa Ana's Army would have been the "grunts" or low-ranking foot soldiers doing much of the fighting.
Indios: Usually a slave
African: Usualy a slave

In modern times, the Casta and its racism have perpetuated culturally, It is not uncommon to meet a Mexican person who does not want to admit being part indigenous. I have never met a Mexican willing to admit being part black. I have seen darker Mexicans ostracized by lighter-skinned Mexicans.

To be fair, there are many modern progressive Mexicans who are against racism and welcome a multi-cultural heritage like in the classic film centered in East LA - "Stand and Deliver". But they are more likely to be the young Mexicans. How do I know all this? I am indigenous from rural AZ and went to school with many Mexican-American students. I was on sports teams with many of them. I recall one football game on a long drive where the lighter-skinned Mexicans made fun of the darker Mexicans. I recall many Mexicans using the "N" word against the rare team of rural AZ that had African American athletes. Some of the Mexican students often had racial tension with students from the rural reservations. Other Mexican students were more progressive and recognized their indegenous ancestry positively and befriended indigenous students from the reservations. There was a mix of attitudes and behaviors regarding race relations. In college, I also noticed many Mexican women at ASU or U of A date black men - oftentimes athletes. So, they are not always racist. But at times it can still be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico