Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 11:50 AM

10,164 posts, read 15,040,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I find it interesting that in Mexico the Mexicans seem much more proud of their Spanish ancestry but in America it is the opposite. Any ideas why this is?
The USA has received much influence from the leftists starting in the later half of the 20th century and this is evident with how people think. As with everything, there are certain positive and negative aspects to this. The other thing is that humanity goes by cycles. It will not be long when Americans go in the opposite direction. According to some, the social movement has already begun. Give it a generation or two and the USA will have a completely different train of thought than it does today, for better or worse.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most of the world, and by consequence most of humanity, is conservative. The liberal/conservative dichotomy is also dependent on the society, but compared to the USA most of the world falls in the conservative realm. It seems the USA is moving to a more conservative stance, in the process shortening the gap between itself and the rest of humanity in this front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 02:13 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,477,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The USA has received much influence from the leftists starting in the later half of the 20th century and this is evident with how people think. As with everything, there are certain positive and negative aspects to this. The other thing is that humanity goes by cycles. It will not be long when Americans go in the opposite direction. According to some, the social movement has already begun. Give it a generation or two and the USA will have a completely different train of thought than it does today, for better or worse.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most of the world, and by consequence most of humanity, is conservative. The liberal/conservative dichotomy is also dependent on the society, but compared to the USA most of the world falls in the conservative realm. It seems the USA is moving to a more conservative stance, in the process shortening the gap between itself and the rest of humanity in this front.
What are you talking about, what does conservatism have to do with the question you answered and where do you get your stats for most of humanity being so? Show some stats and I think we may take this seriously for a minute at least. What exactly do you mean by conservative even, since that can encompass so much and so little of what is being talked about. Also, many countries have divided parties like the US, so you would need a statistical breakdown even further to try to come up with such figures for most in the world. I give cred for CD with most seriously pulled out the well info posted.

Leftist, rightist, nutist, always and forever. One truth, things change, thoughts change in some areas, as it always has throughout history. A time people thought the world was flat and other things that some want to re-propose among many things.

But hey, here a few top ten conservative countries, I know at least one person at the top who would love to see the US fall in line who wouldn't want to be like them. I'll play too.

The top 10 most conservative nations based on the data compiled by MoveHub are:

Yemen
Mali
Iran
Pakistan
Chad
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Lebanon
Swaziland
Ethiopia

Old 10-15-2019, 02:29 PM

862 posts, read 685,463 times
There is no such thing as a "white" person.
Even albinos are pinkish.

We are all varying shades of brown.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:43 PM

290 posts, read 180,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
There is no such thing as a "white" person.
Even albinos are pinkish.

We are all varying shades of brown.
All this talk about race and there is yet someone to say the race is a social Creation, genetically all humans are the same

Old 10-15-2019, 05:57 PM

126 posts, read 97,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
People in Colombia are not thin, either. There's quite a bit of chubbiness. The men tend to eat too much. If you wanna see truly slim people (outside of Asia, of course) go to Spain and Italy.
While its true that obesity has gone up all over the planet including Colombia, italy, and spain.

You CANNOT compare the chubby people you might find in Colombia with the gigantic and humongous Mexicans and Americans.

Mexico is the fattest nation on the planet followed by the US. Colombia is not even among the top 25

Old 10-15-2019, 06:03 PM

126 posts, read 97,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Not really. I married into a Salvadoran family. The older members of the family have an admiration of whites. Some of their friends do the same, including a Brazilian family they are close with. It makes me equal measures uncomfortable and curious.
Salvadoreans and Mexicans are not every single Spanish speaking country.

You have places like Argentina or Uruguay where most people are white and no one gives a hoot about white Americans

And you also have places like Spain, a European country where white americans are seen with certain disdain *Europeans after all*

There are almost 30 Spanish speaking countries and over 500 million Spanish speakers.... So saying Hispanics worship whiteness because you know a bunch of Mexicans who do, kinda makes you look like a stereotypical dumb American.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 PM

10,164 posts, read 15,040,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
What are you talking about, what does conservatism have to do with the question you answered and where do you get your stats for most of humanity being so? Show some stats and I think we may take this seriously for a minute at least. What exactly do you mean by conservative even, since that can encompass so much and so little of what is being talked about. Also, many countries have divided parties like the US, so you would need a statistical breakdown even further to try to come up with such figures for most in the world. I give cred for CD with most seriously pulled out the well info posted.

Leftist, rightist, nutist, always and forever. One truth, things change, thoughts change in some areas, as it always has throughout history. A time people thought the world was flat and other things that some want to re-propose among many things.

But hey, here a few top ten conservative countries, I know at least one person at the top who would love to see the US fall in line who wouldn't want to be like them. I'll play too.

The top 10 most conservative nations based on the data compiled by MoveHub are:

Yemen
Mali
Iran
Pakistan
Chad
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Lebanon
Swaziland
Ethiopia
Some how you are the only person with an issue with this.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:10 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,477,882 times
Quote:
Some how you are the only person with an issue with this.
Somehow, there you go again.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:03 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 934,224 times
Quote:
It's a USA trait, evident in people that have been in the USA for generations and those that have begun their acculturation process and have become American enough on that front.

Some people are annoyed by this pervasive attitude, but that's how Americans are with most not being aware of it. Make the world more like the USA is the underlining aspect of this and it has been a feature of the USA since the country was founded in 1777. Its not going to change any time soon. lol

It has nothing to do with skin color or cultural ethnicities, which is why it's present on Americans regardless of those looks. What is evident and correlates with looks is that white Americans tend to be unaware of this and feel they are walking on egg shells vs non-white Americans, particularly if they have ancestry from Sub-Sahara Africa and ties to the USA that consists of many generations, often times before the USA became the USA. Non-white Americans show this trait too, but if the whites tend to be unaware of this, the non-white Americans are definitely unaware of this. To make matters interesting, they often blame white Americans for things is evident in them too, but are definitely unaware of this.

Americans have other traits that encompasses anyone that is definitely Americans, but here you touch on one aspect. Anyway, it's one of the things that can be identified of Americans even when one is met in another country and never mentions they are from the USA. In fact, Americans can be spotted through looks alone and it has nothing to do with the race or how a person physically looks, but it does have to do with how a person dresses, carry themselves, and body language. I say 9 out of 10 times a person that is thought to be from the USA by looks alone will be from there.

It could also be cultural. It's often said that Americans will look first at the race of a non-white person and this is done subconsciously and in a split second. Someone that has an ambiguous racial look or a combination of features that are not usually together will cause a sort of classification problem among Americans, enough that they can't get passed this until they have an answer for this. Its definitely not the case in many other cultures.
Exactly!

No matter how many times I tell white Americans (and even Brits) that I am Mexican of mestizo descent: they never accept it since they association it with full Amerindian looks, dark brown skin, and short stature. Me being average height, ambigous looking, and light brown/tan in complexion causes Americans to look at me with both wonderment and disgust (the TSA and Israeli agents often mistake me as Arab or Sephardi Jewish when I am neither: they get angry with their mistake that I get the Muslim or frisk treatment). I had people only wanted to befriend me because they thought I was "insert" race and then breaking up the friendship once they finally found it and realize I am Mexixan.....

It gets rather annoying.....

Last edited by FBF; 10-19-2019 at 02:39 AM..

Old 10-21-2019, 01:57 PM

290 posts, read 180,122 times
I am a surprised at how many obese people you see in Mexico.

Mexicans have Asian looking features but darker skin, I didn't see many Spanish types in Mexico other than in some random well off places around Mexico City.

I find that Mexicans are definitely more like Native Americans, both are even affected by high obesity rates.

Last edited by backpaker; 10-21-2019 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico