Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Here is that Spanish caste system (Casta):
You're talking about stuff from the 1500s. With the passing of time it has dissolved. In our modern times there is no such caste system.

Racism, of course, exists. Some of which owes something to that caste system. And the tendency to treat light-skinned people better - something that has been going on throughout the entire world for ages .... (for some weird reason ... Someone explain that to me - different discussion.)

Quote:
To be fair, there are many modern progressive Mexicans who are against racism and welcome a multi-cultural heritage like in the classic film centered in East LA - "Stand and Deliver".
The Chicano movement which started in the 60s certainly had positive messages. "Stand and Deliver" - technically is a Chicano film (not Mexican). One of my friends in college was in Escalante's class at Garfield High. But the Chicano movement had a tendency to suffer from self-pitying and a bit of hypocrisy, as well.

But, back to Mexico. The majority of Mexicans - maybe 60-70% - have substantial, if not dominant, indigenous blood. But that majority doesn't maintain any roots to its indigenous past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 09:53 AM

622 posts, read 428,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario95 View Post
Spanish or southern europe anglo??? far from the truth Spain hates england as of matter of fact!

Nahh, not really. They are the drunk in-law at a wedding, family.
Most of those that appear that are white are not Mediterranean Spanish, but Atlantic Spanish.
Recent Galician and Asturian immigrants and civil war refugees, that's why many are güeritos.
Viva México, Carajo!!

Old 08-29-2019, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 3,863 times
Quote:
All that thanks to our Spaniard ancestry.
this sound as if having indigenous ancestry is a bad thing?

i actually took a DNA test and have 55% Indigenous 30% European and 15% sub Saharan African

soy indio prieto and proud of it...

Old 08-29-2019, 01:09 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
Almost everyone in the Americas are a bit of a blend. Just call them by their names instead of trying to wedge them into a category.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:07 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
I find it interesting that in Mexico the Mexicans seem much more proud of their Spanish ancestry but in America it is the opposite. Any ideas why this is?

Old 08-31-2019, 06:49 PM

630 posts, read 526,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I find it interesting that in Mexico the Mexicans seem much more proud of their Spanish ancestry but in America it is the opposite. Any ideas why this is?
I have noticed that trend too. I have an explanation for it. The fact that it might not be true for nor be liked by everyone, doesn't make it any less true nonetheless. They tend to go with whatever identity is the most flattering to them, or allows them to get ahead in life.

In Mexico, most Mexicans have the self-concept that their cultural and biological stock is made up of 50% Indigenous and 50% Spaniard. While the statement is a gross oversimplification, in Mexico few identify as "Indigenous". In that department, Mexico is the exact opposite of the "One drop rule" where any amount of non-white blood would make you non-white. In Mexico, any amount of White blood make, no matter if it as heavy as the weight of a feather standing on the coif of an Aztec cacique. In Mexico, few Mexicans see themselves as indigenous. Why would they? The indigenous populations are largely seen as "backward" and "inferior". Many Mexicans love to brag about their European background, that people "never believe they are Mexicans" by their own account, because "they're so White". A glance at Mexican telenovelas is the best evidence for it. The actors look like nearly none in Mexico. Mexicans often tell their genealogy, but you rarely have to ask for it.

Of course, Mexican whitness gets lost in translation when crossing the Rio Grande. White American won't consider mestizo Mexicans as "White", and not necessarily out of racism. Then, Mexican-American have turned to with their "Aztec" heritage (as if they were the only ethnic group in pre-Hispanic Mexico) in an attempt to take advantage of positive image Native Americans benefit from in the US, and legitimize their presence on US soil.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Holy cow, I didn't expect a response that good.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:31 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,469,682 times
People are truly obsessed with whiteness, pity. I would think many don't consider Mexicans as a whole not white because as a whole their not. I'm not sure why a lot of group classify themselves as white when they obviously look other. It's a strange classification to begin with.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:19 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,905,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
People are truly obsessed with whiteness, pity. I would think many don't consider Mexicans as a whole not white because as a whole their not. I'm not sure why a lot of group classify themselves as white when they obviously look other. It's a strange classification to begin with.
The criteria for this classification differs based on culture, this board is most frequented by Americans and for some reason lots of Americans out of habit impose their views about race on other cultures. It's a cultural flaw many think they know better than anyone else because they're convinced that Americans are the "best". It's not just the white one's doing it the black one's are just as annoying.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:54 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,421,537 times
Quote:
Mexicans are like tan white people we have Europoid feautures long oval faces Caucasian smiles thin noses but a lot blond fair skinned mexicans in Central and North México toó.

All that thanks to our Spaniard ancestry.
But why are they so short and their women short and fat...Thats not caucasian like found in the usa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico