Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 06:10 PM

107 posts, read 327,613 times

Advertisements

Those YouTube videos remind me of Nazi hitler youth propaganda promoting some kind of race ideology and they make me sick. I've been to Mexico many a time and loved it.

The food in Mexico - at the high end resorts as well as in the cities is really good. The white tequila better. And the blue waters off the Yucatan are to die for. That most people in Mexico are brown and indian looking is irrelevent. This is a stupid thread.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:49 PM

291 posts, read 648,449 times
And must be closed...

Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
This is exactly the reason, why I stopped going to the Inmigration subforum, I used to visit it and participate until I reached the same conclusion, people there seem like old furniture, stuck in the same endless loop, speaking of the same things, many of them prey of negative states of consciousness and lack of clear judgement and sound perception.
Yeah, me too. I seemingly started what seemed like a heated debate, but it died out before it really got going, I think because I may have started making sense to them.

Kinda like when you watch Fox News, and the host will have a democratic congressperson on, and when the congressperson will start to make a valid point, it suddenly becomes commercial time.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:23 PM

291 posts, read 648,449 times
The bad thing is when the inmigration subforum people comes here to punch against Mexico and his citizens, and no body see nothing bad on it. But when a mexicans responds you have warnings....

Old 07-13-2008, 01:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
The bad thing is when the inmigration subforum people comes here to punch against Mexico and his citizens, and no body see nothing bad on it. But when a mexicans responds you have warnings....
FYI: quite a few of the more strident anti illegal crowd have been banned as well.

I am definitely anti illegal immigration but some of the comments on 'my' side I took offence too.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I mean no disrespect, but, would this thread even exist if colorism wasn't at least somewhat of an issue? Why do so many Mexicans feel the need to "educate" the rest of us that there are white Mexicans? Yeah, the vast majority of Mexicans that come to the US are brown, but most people are aware that Mexico has white people. It doesn't really need to be said. Let's face the facts, all multiracial societies have some degree of colorism. Heck, even monoracial societies like India have issues.
I think what can be interesting is that there are cultural differences on this issue. Both countries have their own historical issues with race and skin color but are quite different in the history and the way things are viewed. You have to go all the way back and follow things on through in both countries to start to understand. And in both countries one's own perspective is influenced a lot by one's own group and other first hand experiences.

I don't believe India is a monoracial society either. I read once that Korea is the most monoracial society. India has it's variety, there are mixes of Caucasian types, Asian types and varieties of skin color there too. I think the difference there is that the history of how the various races got there is different.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:07 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
We don't see a lot of white Mexicans in the U.S. because they're the ruling class in Mexico and have little reason to leave.
Exactly. Most of the people I met when I was in Mexico were white. In spite of the reputation of Mexico as a poor country, those guys seemed to be living a pretty nice life. Much nicer than mine in the US, I must say. I also met a few people who were mixed with black as well as a surprisingly large number of ppl who had Japanese ancestors. All of those guys were very proud of their European, African and Asian ancestry, but they treated the people with more native blood pretty terribly, and I'm not surprised that many guys who have more indigenous blood have decided to come to the US for a better life. At any rate, after learning about Aztec culture, I can say that their people are just going through a bad patch. They had a culture of very talented engineers, architects and mathematicians and were not any more violent than the Europeans at the time.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:11 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
I would say 50% percent of San Antonio's mexican population is of Spanish decent that are born in the U.S.
IMO, if they are born in the US then they are American. Full stop.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:32 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Black Mexicans? It seems like there have been reports of how the remaining group of "pure" Black Mexican(for lack of a better term) have had to deal with some issues of racism, either recently or from things that happened in the past that might not have been dealt with. I was reading an article about how some of the people in question have been stopped by the police and were made to recite the national anthem to prove they were Mexican.

I know many people that say they are mestizo, also have Black african blood as well, not just the Spanish and native blood. Coasts Chica and Veracruz seem to have th biggest populations of Blacks in the country and some were Blacks that came from Cuba to escape what was going on there.

Here's some more information:Afro-Mexican - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia with references here:Afro-Mexican - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I spent time studying and living in Mexico and am black. I also studied Mexican culture, history and art and hablo espanol con fluidez. I see you had a question about "negros" in Mexico. When I was there I saw ONE person who was mixed with black and indigeno. He seemed to be of the lower classes and had dark skin and indigenous body type (short, broad shouldered etc) and features. Many of the "Mexicans" who emigrate to the US have this type of look, so you may be familiar with the features I am talking about a prominent, long straight nose and a somewhat sloping forehead. Mexicans were very welcoming to me as a relatively affluent black woman, but they are extremely racist, prejudiced and unfair to the indigenous peoples IMO (Ask if you want details of my experiences of the discrimination).

At any rate, I also met guys at university who were mixed with white Mexican and black (maybe a little indigeno in there waaay from back when) in Mexico City and in Zihuatanejo. I ADORED Zihua and it used to be in the mid 90’s very unpopulated, natural and inexpensive. With wonderful clear blue, palm-lined beaches, backpackers, cheap hotels and fresh seafood. The people I met in Zihua and Mexico-city guy were VERY proud of their African heritage, and thought it was cool to meet another "black" person. One guy in Zihua told me that there is a legend that a ship of slaves destined for the US shipwrecked at Zihua and mixed with the natives--hence their caramel complexions and dark, curly hair. All of the people I met seemed happy to have a black heritage and proud to share it.

As a woman who has traveled to Europe, Mex, Caribbean, Asia etc. and was born overseas, I think that many cultures view "blackness" differently than in the US. So, I am not sure if these guys considered themselves "black" or would even be asked that question. Nevertheless at the time there was a survey that said 1% of the population in Mex. is “black.” Nobody in Mexico said “negro” to me, by the way. They all said "morena" which means dark. Negro/Negra is not considered polite in Mexico since it's usually equated with slaves such as in the phrase "trabajando como un negro." Which means working as hard as a slave. I don't necessarily equate this with racism, since I noticed that ppl did not generally use the word white/blanco either, they would normally use rubia/o or guero/a. I also lived with an extremely anti-indigenous lady who considered herself "morena clara" which means something like "fair-skinned dark woman" if that makes any sense. I considered her white.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-18-2008, 03:36 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,193,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
can be white, mostly are arab..and the skin tone is similar to mexicans...

regards...
Race is not based on skin color. In fact, that is irrelevant. Race is based on facial structure and most importantly, genetics. Darker skin just means you got a tan! This means that all Europeans are undoubtedly of the same race. However, there are many who would claim that North Africans and Middle Easterners are also white (including Berbers, Arabs, Israeli Jews, etc.) as the genetics of such people are not too far off from the Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico