Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,173 times

Advertisements

I wanted to get some opinions from locals on what teaching prospects might be in Miami. Despite the negative things, I have traveled frequently to Miami and I really enjoy it and I'm thinking of moving.

Some background on me: I grew up in Southern California. I'm in my late 20's and I'm Latina so I am bilingual.

I'm definitely not afraid of teaching in a rough or economically depressed area. I have taught in Watts and currently in Inglewood - I teach high school English. I actually prefer to teach in these areas because I came from a rough neighborhood in L.A. and I think I have a knack for it. Also, there's some student loan relief from the federal government for teachers who work in Title I schools, etc. (lord knows my student loan debt equates a few years of salary).
I'm concerned about some of the legislative issues with education in Florida. I know it's a hot topic but I'm concerned with moves to base teacher salary entirely upon standardized testing, which is what I've heard is going on in Florida (although I think it might have been vetoed). It would be impossible to fully explain how much this hurts a teacher and that's not really the point of my post, but I'm interested to know if there's an anti-teacher sentiment going on in Miami at all?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: