Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:56 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
West of the Turnpike is 100% ghetto, while there are both "bad" and "decent" areas sprinkled on the East side of the Turnpike. (Note: I think 10 years ago, the "decent" areas were GOOD and the "bad" areas were DECENT)
If you want to rate things on a scale of good/decent/bad, everything east of Franjo Road is good, everything between the Turnpike and Franjo is decent (including the new construction below/east of Old Cutler, I would think), and west of the Turnpike is bad. The single family homes west of Franjo but east of the Turnpike may not be upscale and the demographics may have changed, but the area is far from bad. And, like rogerbacon has confirmed, the NE sector of Cutler Bay is still very nice.

I just did an extensive "drive" via Google Street View and at least aesthetically, my ratings are pretty accurate. Not much of the new construction area has been covered by Street View so I cannot really comment on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Not much of the new construction area has been covered by Street View so I cannot really comment on that.
Unfortunately that's all I have insight on in that area. I know if you go a little further North, EVERYTHING East of US-1 is GOLD. Street view is also a good program to look at properties. I like to look at all the places I used to live.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
I don't like whispering pines. I find it overpriced. It's too close to bad neighborhoods. I remember this area not being that great even before Andrew.

The cutler ridge area is not the safest areas because it is rather close to some ghettos (Goulds, Naranja, West Perrine) But I don't feel that unsafe. Crime happens everywhere, especially in commercial areas. We had robberies this year in Country Walk(Publix), Kendall (Best Buy remember?), Dadeland Mall, and I'm not even going to the NW.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
I don't like whispering pines. I find it overpriced. It's too close to bad neighborhoods. I remember this area not being that great even before Andrew.

The cutler ridge area is not the safest areas because it is rather close to some ghettos (Goulds, Naranja, West Perrine) But I don't feel that unsafe. Crime happens everywhere, especially in commercial areas. We had robberies this year in Country Walk(Publix), Kendall (Best Buy remember?), Dadeland Mall, and I'm not even going to the NW.
It wasn't always overpriced. My dad bought the lot on the lake where he built our house in 1968. The lot cost $11,000. 1/3 acre on a real lake for 11,000. How far would you have to go from South Florida to find a comparable, inflation-adjusted, deal like that today? I think you wouldn't find it until somewhere in Georgia.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Crisp

I remember Cutler Rich and Ol' Cutler as a beautiful place with very large and beautiful houses, all very well taken care. It was a place where you could go walking to a very nice beach.

It was a paradise in comparison with the rest.

I had a friend there, and I remember he had to walk a lot to pick the post since the mailbox was at the entry of his enormous house.

At that time it seemed to me the best area of Miami.

Is that the same Cutler Ridge they are talking here?

I'm talking about 30 years ago.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM

That sounds like the NE portion of Cutler Bay/Cutler Ridge and it is still a beautiful area today. The portions of that area west of the FL Turnpike have probably gotten worse since 30 years ago, however.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:52 AM

74 posts, read 278,051 times
As a resident of the area, I optimisticly state that the area is making progress for the better. The new developments are bringing in more families. Baptist just bought a large tract of land of the Turnpike, exit 9b. Rumor is they will house corporate headquarters there. In our community, we have two charter schools, one of which I know is doing really well. Just a mile west is a new K through 8 magnet school. Also, on 112 ave and 232 st, they started construction on a new publix. And 5 miles south on the turnpike in often ridiculed Homestead is Homestead pavilion. There is alot of anchor stores there along with a longhorn, olive garden and red lobster coming. Southland Mall recently built a new addition including a state of the art movie theater. Mercedes just built a full service dealership there. In the mall a buffalo wild wings opened up. A huge brand new Ballys. Across from the mall, they are finishing up a new performing arts center. This area is no where near perfect. In my opinion however, for those of us willing to invest in an area still trying to find its way will be rewarded 10 years from now with properties surrounded by infrastructure that enables a community ot thrive and be enjoyable. One thing I really wish was not here, and may never be resolved is the trash dump. Living in this area we have turnpike access 2 minutes away, a beautiful public access marina and the promise of better things to come one day. I feel the patience will pay off someday.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:14 PM

326 posts, read 1,169,667 times
Because South Miami Heights is right there. A bunch of cheap housing and cheaper apartments. Wherever their is a ghetto it's going to spill out into the area around it.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Everyone says that the entire section of Goulds is bad but they seem to forget the new construction west of SW 127th Ave.

This neighborhood is located in Goulds and sure as hell doesn't look the least bit "ghetto" to me:

Goulds, FL - Google Maps

Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Everyone says that the entire section of Goulds is bad but they seem to forget the new construction west of SW 127th Ave.

This neighborhood is located in Goulds and sure as hell doesn't look the least bit "ghetto" to me:

Goulds, FL - Google Maps
I've never been there before; my only experience with Goulds is driving on US1. Nice to know that there are new areas that look nice. Looks like some of the newer parts of Homestead or Cutler Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami