Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM

108 posts, read 230,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---

I remember when Flagler was one way in front of Fountainebleu, and when they were building and later promoting the place. Yes, it was a very nice area, quite expensive to rent. Flagler St. was a somewhat decaying place, quite deserted from the 70th Ave or so, but not dangerous or ghetto. More like an old part of the city. I remember there was a magnificent Spanish library and a Spanish bookstore, La Moderna Poesia in the 20's, nice restaurants like Palma de Mallorca. It was a place where you could walk with no crime or derelicts.

There were American owned businesses, I remember that the supermarket around the 20's, Zagamis, was the property of a Greek American family, etc.
Yes, Zagami on Flagler and 21 ave or so; "Mall of the Americas" was Midway Mall, and I think wasn't 1/2 bad....

Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 PM

73 posts, read 113,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuaname View Post
Preface: I'm hispanic and have lived in S Florida 30+ years; so not hating...

I grew up and lived in Coral Gables, so maybe I "never" really was in Miami, who knows.. but now it seems like there are refs everywhere I go. I am very fluent in both languages , so that's not the issue, and I probably speak 40% of the time Spanish.....but it seems every you go, and I'll focus in the specific areas I have been to: SW 8 st, west of 62 ave as far west to 147 ave.

Some of examples of what has made me laugh and made me hate these idiots comeing here...
At the gym, I always use the headphones, so never hear much. I left the ipod the other day and I hear this group of 4-5 guys speaking Spanish in such a chusma way, lol, like if they came off a boat or a plane yesterday. They definitely were not business men, bankers, etc..
Go take a class at FIU, and 60% of the class hispanic and some struggle with English, wtf...
Instructor? He can get by, but certainly is a ref with an accent, Peru or some other Central American Country.
Go buy meat at the Deli at Publix? Spanish

I thought this had been over when El Mariel and los balseros years later was over, but it seems not. How the heck do they get here and able to stay?

Oh, and back at "home" everyone was a "doctor, "accountant", "engineer", "dentist"... WTF?? LOL

I have been entertaining moving to dade, probably end up in Miami Lakes due to logistics of work vs home, so have been doing a lot of day to day things in Miami... I am so tempted to stay in Weston; hispanics yes, but people have a higher caliber of education and speech, weather English or Spanish.
In case you haven't noticed, you cannot bad mouth anything Miami in the Miami forum. You can disconnect from CD and come back in 6 months, and the same regulars will be here debating every single negative thing anyone says about 'their' city. The reason for this is that those sympathizers are part of the culture that you're bashing in your post. They are the ones who think it's cool to not learn to speak English, bash the US and are here sitting around sucking up the resources of this country, and run around bragging about their 'European roots' and how they/their mom/grandpa/whatever were so important 'back home'. Some say it's different in Broward, but I don't think you can get away from the ignorance and ignorant types that prevail in So. Florida unless you drive past Orlando.

BTW, I agree with everything on your post.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:06 PM

613 posts, read 759,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
In case you haven't noticed, you cannot bad mouth anything Miami in the Miami forum. You can disconnect from CD and come back in 6 months, and the same regulars will be here debating every single negative thing anyone says about 'their' city. The reason for this is that those sympathizers are part of the culture that you're bashing in your post. They are the ones who think it's cool to not learn to speak English, bash the US and are here sitting around sucking up the resources of this country, and run around bragging about their 'European roots' and how they/their mom/grandpa/whatever were so important 'back home'. Some say it's different in Broward, but I don't think you can get away from the ignorance and ignorant types that prevail in So. Florida unless you drive past Orlando.

lalalandlarry,

If I think it is cool to not speak English and you think it is cool to speak English, who is correct?

Please calm down, and try to understand that Miami is awesome.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:22 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post

Check my posts. I am definantly in the camp that DOESN'T defend all of Miami's bad behavior and the overall ghettoization of the mentality. But these are apples and oranges here. The bottom line is, this is a free country and people don't have to conform to your convenient or narrow view of what is correct. The choice to speak and think the way one chooses is the basic principal that the country was founded on and in turn you despise it. Sounds like you are the one that is un-American and not adapting to what the country is really about.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:44 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
I'm gonna have to agree with the "GARBAGE" term being used here. Seriously, the people that were considered "s#it" in my own country are the ones moving here now. Not the same folks that moved here with millions back in the 80's. Sometimes I ask myself how in the world those people got airplane tickets or a passport in the first place. Embassies are so useless!! Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm talking about the people who were not from decent living conditions, with ethics or morals. I'm not talking about the humble poor but hardworking and decent people, I'm talking about the degenerates.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:50 PM

BTW, I still want to know what's AMERICAN CULTURE.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
BTW, I still want to know what's AMERICAN CULTURE.
mcdonalds, walmart and starbucks unfortunately

Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Check my posts. I am definantly in the camp that DOESN'T defend all of Miami's bad behavior and the overall ghettoization of the mentality. But these are apples and oranges here. The bottom line is, this is a free country and people don't have to conform to your convenient or narrow view of what is correct. The choice to speak and think the way one chooses is the basic principal that the country was founded on and in turn you despise it. Sounds like you are the one that is un-American and not adapting to what the country is really about.

Damn .. Chelito your the man ... good post ... I feel the same way you do ... I am not enamored about many things Miami and in fact dislike many things Miami .... but their are some people on here with definite mean streaks and LaLa Nazi is one of them .

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 AM

108 posts, read 230,582 times
You know it's bad, when you go to Walgreens in one part of town, Doral and Weston, and also CVS in Miami Lakes, and the baby formula is out on a shelf...

Then I go the the walgreens(or is it CVS) in Westchester, coral way and 87 ave; or the one on 8 st and 67 ave; or?? and something so simple, NON prescription is locked behind glass... WTF?? So I asked the store and they said that people steal it. The guy at the Walgreens on coral way / 87 ave, said that as soon as they opened the "valzan" store in the same strip mall, theft increase exponentially and so they started locking up some of the basic but pricey meds / items... yet, it's safe to walk outside. He said the type of people that shop at that Valzan come from other parts of town, very low class. Do they come from the F.Bleu area? The same crap you see at that Doral Walmart? "Eso no se ve en Weston"!! LOL... So these refs are petty thieves to save $10-$20 on baby formula.. Like it's going to break their bank!!

On a side note, I have recently found humor in some of the names the new "ref" stores / restaurants have. I do give them credit for haivng the $ and smarts to open a business up; something I have never done myself. The most recent one was "la hormiga de oro" ... umm, that was a restaurant, and I am not taking my family to a place with that name, lol...

Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 AM

I know what you mean now. It's not the recent immigration that bothers you, it's the non-ethical people that come with it. If some of those recent immigrants had morals or at the very least decency, I don't think you'd have any issues with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami