Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
You see, to ordinary folk, a place that gets freakishly hot and humid, supports pythons and alligators, has a rather large and lush swamp in its backyard, all the bugs one can want, nice beaches you can swim in all year.......well, that is the ordinary folk definition of tropical. Smart folks be damned.
Even "smart" folks like myself who have a degree in stuff like this say Miami is tropical. Because that is what it is a tropical climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I come on the Miami forum all the time, sorry, if you have a problem with that. I didn't realize everyone was so sensitive about their climate status. I've found more info online saying Miami is subtropical than I've found say it's tropical.
I am not talking about you. Ricksantos has been talking about Miami and tropical climates for over a year now I think

Anyway click the link I have in my earlier post. Search "climate map" on google you will see Miami is a tropical climate. Trust me I have done the math myself many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 PM

809 posts, read 2,316,811 times
I have oftern heard of it as subtropical. And having grown up in a latin household all I heard for decades was "corn, oranges, potatoes,grapes, (insert random fruit and/or vegetable)don't taste the same."I attributed this to Miami not being a purely tropical zone. I think the average citizen refers to miami as tropical because they see palm trees all over coupled with sweltering heat. When you can go to the beach and get a tan in January or wash your car barefoot or go jogging and sweat on Christmas day, that little prefix (sub) gets easily deleted.
I am glad that the head of Fairchild understands this.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
The Tropical zone, yes, Miami does not lay in the tropical zone which extends north to the Tropic of Cancer.

Miami does lay in the tropical climate zone, not the subtropical climate zone. It does lay in the subtropical zone.

I am not really understanding what the OP's point is, I think when people refer to Miami as the tropics, they refer to the climate, not its location.

There are deserts in the tropical zone, the tropical zone is just the extent where the sun shines directly overhead. The tropical climate are areas that have a mean temp no lower than 64 degrees.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,577 times
I've always heard of Miami as being SUBtropical, not tropical. Interestingly, my temporary home of Abu Dhabi, UAE is also a subtropical zone, same as Miami. You don't usually think of a desert region in the Middle East as subtropical, but it is, albeit arid (despite the unbelievable humidity here). Since it's in the same climate zone as Miami, I see the same exact vegetation being planted here in the greening of the city: ixora, periwinkle, gardenias, bouganvilia everywhere, mango trees, etc. If it's growing in Miami, it can grow here. This place looks just like home! Go figure.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM

809 posts, read 2,316,811 times
^^pics?^^

Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
I've always heard of Miami as being SUBtropical, not tropical. Interestingly, my temporary home of Abu Dhabi, UAE is also a subtropical zone, same as Miami. You don't usually think of a desert region in the Middle East as subtropical, but it is, albeit arid (despite the unbelievable humidity here). Since it's in the same climate zone as Miami, I see the same exact vegetation being planted here in the greening of the city: ixora, periwinkle, gardenias, bouganvilia everywhere, mango trees, etc. If it's growing in Miami, it can grow here. This place looks just like home! Go figure.
I am sure those things grow with a lot of help from a lot of irrigation Dubai gets plenty of sun but not much rain.

As for Miami being subtropical you will find things that say both. Since it is a small area of land that does have a tropical climate and since a transition zone is right there to the North. But as I said before Miami's climate does classify as a tropical climate. It is very easy math to figure out why look it up or even easier look at just about any climate map online. They show South Florida as having a tropical climate folks.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
I can say one thing for sure sub-tropical Jacksonville and Tampa don't come close to looking like Miami and this is not even one of the most lush areas of Miami.

miami,florida - Google Maps

Old 09-26-2011, 02:25 PM

613 posts, read 760,155 times
So, Jack Fisher says Miami is tropical, got it. Miami is tropical.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:41 PM

525 posts, read 761,435 times
Jack Fisher says Miami is NOT tropical. Only a transitional semi tropical zone with HEAVY temperate zone vegetation and influences.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Why are people having an issue with this thread now? The OP stated a fact and now people are trying to make it seem like he is mistaken. Miami is infact subtropical.

To the average person, Miami seems tropical, yet technically, it is not. Why is this controversial or an attack on Miami by a hater? Some of you need to get a grip.

I think some clear evidence to support the OP is this (besides lattitude): Miami has several days in the winter where highs, with sunshine, are in the 60s and lows are in the 40s. This is not common in coastal regions, at sea level, below the tropic of cancer, yet it is an annual ocurrence here. We also have annual frosts in the outlying areas. Purely tropical vegetation will not grow here (think Bread Fruit). It has snowed here. There are record lows below freezing scattered about from December through February. There have been some days in the winter over the years with highs in the 50s even!! That hasn't happened in nearby Havana or Cancun, which have similar climates but are on the other side of the Tropic of Cancer. Obviously, their more southern lattitude couple with the large bodies of water to the north help temper their climate. 10 degrees warmer in the winter literally doesn make a difference when you debate the subtlties of an issuue like this, and many times, these same cities are about 10 degrees warmer during the same cold snaps the Miami goes through.

Likewise, Bermuda, which is due east of South Carolina, has a climate that never gets as cold as Miami...despite being farther north. It is not tropical either.

Subtropics just means "transition" zone. We have some things from the north, but the majoirty come from the tropics. That's all. It isn't a good or bad thing or a diss at Miami. Obviously the OP is just very passionate about geography and climate zones and is trying to make a valid point. If it seems irrelevant to you, why even read or comment on the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami