Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:35 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,121,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I've always thought of Miami as subtropical, but I don't get as technical as you guys. One thing that's not true is that it doesn't drop into the 30's or 40's for extended periods of time. I would love that. Unless by extended periods of time you mean hours. It always warms back up to at least the 50's. I've lived here for more than 30 years and have never cranked up my heater for 1 to 3 months. 1 to 3 days, yes, but never even weeks. I don't think I've ever used the heater for a full 24 hour day. I'm in West Kendall too.
Thank you, valicky! Thank you very much!

Last edited by rainroosty; 09-28-2011 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,094 times
LOL...By the OP's standard, the top of the Peruvian Andes (glaciers) and the top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii (snow) are "tropical," but Miami is not.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You are correct; Miami is properly classified as being located in the subtropics. However, given the abysmal gaps in geographical education throughout the United States, you have to consider yourself ahead of the game if people even know that Miami is in the state of Florida.
You might want to clarify; do you mean climate or zone? Miami is in the tropical climate as defined by science (not me) as having a mean temp during all 12 months of 64 degree F or higher.

As for tropical zone, Miami is not in the tropical zone as defined by the areas between the tropic of cancer and the tropic of capricorn.

I do not think anyone ever refers to Miami as being in the tropical zone, nor do they really care, it is all about the climte.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
LOL...By the OP's standard, the top of the Peruvian Andes (glaciers) and the top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii (snow) are "tropical," but Miami is not.
Well, mountains, deserts, glaciers, rainforests, ect, are located in the tropical zone. But not everything in the tropical zone is classified as having a tropical climate.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,052 times
Admit it. This is all about getting a tan isn't it?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I've always thought of Miami as subtropical, but I don't get as technical as you guys. One thing that's not true is that it doesn't drop into the 30's or 40's for extended periods of time. I would love that. Unless by extended periods of time you mean hours. It always warms back up to at least the 50's. I've lived here for more than 30 years and have never cranked up my heater for 1 to 3 months. 1 to 3 days, yes, but never even weeks. I don't think I've ever used the heater for a full 24 hour day. I'm in West Kendall too.
Even if you have lived here for merely 5 years you should be well aware that people need the heat on at times over 1 to 3 months of the year, which is why many people's houses burn down due to space heaters every winter. People don't just buy those and use them for decoration. And there are always weeks in winter where the lows will be in the 40s and some nights in he 30s. It isn't just one night for moments. That is what the weathermen call extended cold snaps. Yes, it is below average, but is consistently happens and there is nothing unusual about it, just that people aren't used to it since it is relatively short lived...when compared to the other 9 months of the year that are balmy to hot.

Yes, the nights warm up after those cold snaps. But the cold snaps come on a consistent basis and we usually have a handful of extended cold nights over the 3 months of "winter". To deny that is to have your head in the sand. What is with people trying to deny the facts? I just don't get it. Saying Miami gets cold after a front comes through in the winter doesn't mean this is a bad city. Some people aren't playing with a full deck.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM

613 posts, read 759,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Even if you have lived here for merely 5 years you should be well aware that people need the heat on at times over 1 to 3 months of the year, which is why many people's houses burn down due to space heaters every winter. People don't just buy those and use them for decoration. And there are always weeks in winter where the lows will be in the 40s and some nights in he 30s. It isn't just one night for moments. That is what the weathermen call extended cold snaps. Yes, it is below average, but is consistently happens and there is nothing unusual about it, just that people aren't used to it since it is relatively short lived...when compared to the other 9 months of the year that are balmy to hot.

Yes, the nights warm up after those cold snaps. But the cold snaps come on a consistent basis and we usually have a handful of extended cold nights over the 3 months of "winter". To deny that is to have your head in the sand. What is with people trying to deny the facts? I just don't get it. Saying Miami gets cold after a front comes through in the winter doesn't mean this is a bad city. Some people aren't playing with a full deck.
Did you run this by Jack Fisher?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:21 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
"Jack Fisher says....Jack Fisher says....Jack Fisher says......."
You are dead wrong, and apparently so is "Jack Fisher".
I live at 26.62 N, 80.06 W, and I live in the sub-tropics. ....
We have plenty of "beautiful vegetation" and "immensely strong sunlight" and besides a "pretty purple night sky", we also have noctilucent clouds.

"Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner
Miami is NOT tropical. not even close. my father lives in Jamaica, and comparing Jamaica's weather to Miami's is apple and oranges. Miami is built on a swamp, not a rainforest. Tropical fruit like Bread Fruit and Guinep are not able to grow here. The winter time (which in the real tropics, there is no "winter" season or drop in temeperature to even begin with) is constantly dipping in the high 30's to mid 40's for an extended period of time. Many of the palm tree's here in South Florida (of which, the coconut palms are NOT native to), are tinged yellow/brown and half dead year round from the damage done to them in the winter. People are walking around in jackets and cranking up their heaters for 1-3 months out of the year. And this is not me hating on Miami, I love it here, but I am mearily stating observations. This type of weather would never occur in Jamaica or any other real tropical place below the Tropic of Cancer. That is fact. If you truly believe Miami's weather is tropical, you need to travel more. It has tropical elements, but is not, and never will be, truly tropical."

lmao! b-s! .. So, what's your point? That we live in the sub-tropics and not the tropics?....
If you can go outside and see Crux, you are in the tropics.
and if you go outside in december/january and it is below 60 degrees, without elevation, you are definately NOT in the tropics. do u think people in puerto rico and jamaica are walking around in jackets during december and january too? do u think tree's lose their leaves at any point in these places anytime during the year? do u think palm tree's are always tinged yellow and brown from cold weather "snaps" in these places? if u do, u need to go out more brother. jamaica in december vs. miami in december is nothing, and I mean NOTHING alike. while it's nice to think that the US has a nice little mainland slice of tropical weather, the fact is is that it's just not so. were close, but not quite there.

however, if Miami is tropical then please point me in the direction of the nearest rainforest, id love to do some hiking

Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
and if you go outside in december/january and it is below 60 degrees, without elevation, you are definately NOT in the tropics. do u think people in puerto rico and jamaica are walking around in jackets during december and january too? do u think tree's lose their leaves at any point in these places anytime during the year? do u think palm tree's are always tinged yellow and brown from cold weather "snaps" in these places? if u do, u need to go out more brother. jamaica in december vs. miami in december is nothing, and I mean NOTHING alike. while it's nice to think that the US has a nice little mainland slice of tropical weather, the fact is is that it's just not so. were close, but not quite there.

however, if Miami is tropical then please point me in the direction of the nearest rainforest, id love to do some hiking
Do you know the meaning of mean? Just wondering because you do not seem to understand what mean temperature is as it relates to what SCIENCE classifies as tropical.

Also, there are different tropical variations (even a simple Google search will show you this), tropical does NOT mean rainforest. There are many variations of tropical as it relates to climate, with the common them of each area having a MEAN temperature 12 months a year 64 degrees or above, Miami area is included in every map that show tropical climate areas, a poster even posted one on here, go to the historic weather and you can even see the numbers for yourself.

Here is a link where you can even figure the mean temperature yourself.
Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Here is link link to wiki which lists reputable links at the bottom as reference, Miami is clearly stated on it.
Tropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, do you have anything to post that refutes any of this?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
Did you run this by Jack Fisher?
I have no idea who that is nor do I see how it is relevant to my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami