Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 06:00 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times

Advertisements

I have at&t for my wireless internet for my apt. They had me on a one year special at $19.95. My one year is up so now I"m at $43 for 3 mb. I called them and asked them what they could do for me and they told me nothing. I'm not spending $43 a month on internet at that slow speed. Anyone make any recommendations on who else I should check out? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Lots of friends and family have left ATTs regular dsl in the last two months for multiple reasons. Some have gotten U-verse and some have gone to Comcast dsl with deals, all are loving the higher speeds and cheaper rates. My father said he is going start jumping from company to company at the end of each promotional period as they just rip people off at the $43 rates. I did this with phone companies years ago, it was great you always had a cheap rate. It took some work each year for a few days figuring out who had the new cheapest rate, but saved me money while I was in school.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 AM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
i use a WiFi app and tether my cell phone to my laptop - the cell phone acts as the WiFi 'hot spot'.

The app costs 15.00 (one-time purchase price) and my monthly cell phone data plan is unlimited - so all i'm paying for is the monthly phone bill, same as I would for the cell phone by itself.

works great - anywhere - and is super-fast.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 AM

328 posts, read 1,397,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
i use a WiFi app and tether my cell phone to my laptop - the cell phone acts as the WiFi 'hot spot'.

The app costs 15.00 (one-time purchase price) and my monthly cell phone data plan is unlimited - so all i'm paying for is the monthly phone bill, same as I would for the cell phone by itself.

works great - anywhere - and is super-fast.
OP - Before you consider doing this, please realize that with all of the big cell phone companies (AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, and T-Mobile) this is against the terms of the contract.

If they catch on that you are tethering data without paying an additional cost (all of the carriers charge additional money for tethering), not only can they bill you for the extra cost but they can terminate your contact as well. It's not worth it, since it's technically illegal to do (illegal as in it goes directly against the Terms Of Service that you sign with the carrier).

Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
When i got my Android phone, it was the Verizon rep who set me up with this system, and it was done right in the Verizon store, by the Verizon employee...... i never would have even known about it if Verizon had not suggested it to me. they loaded the app into the phone for me, and I paid for it -- i also pay for the unlimited data package - am not using anything without paying for it.

it can't be against the terms of the contract - if that were the case, the carrier would not have set me up with it.

Last edited by catt6; 01-12-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami