Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:07 PM

40 posts, read 114,298 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. People say that they are moving to this area everyday and people always list areas for people to go. Well I would like to know
What city or neighborhood you currently reside in?
Why did you choose that community?
What you like about your community?
What you don't like about your community?
The best restaurant in your community?
Is there anything unique about your community? i.e. Parks, Landmarks, Architecture, Ect.
Time it takes you to commute to work?

I look forward to seeing the responses as I am debating between Miami, NYC, or staying put here in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:34 PM

604 posts, read 856,952 times
Before leaving South Florida, I lived in Doral for several years. I picked it because it was close to where I worked. It took me literally 10 minutes to get there. I liked it because it's just a quiet bedroom community with a good parks + rec department. I didn't like that traffic can be beyond terrible. Also I don't speak much Spanish, so that was a pain.

Restaurants...Doral mostly has franchises, but there are a few good hole-in-the-wall Thai and Peruvian places tucked around. If you want a "nice restaurant," Doral isn't the place. Ditto arts, culture, or nightlife. I realize this sounds like a pretty tepid endorsement of Doral, but it's a quiet, safe, bedroom community.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 PM

Excellent great response. How is the rent and property taxes in Doral?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times

I live in Miami’s urban core. That is the area from the design district all the way to coconut grove. I am not going to be specific as to where I live.

I am original from a big city (NY) and I prefer urban environments. We also wanted a area that was a good mix ethnically meaning African, Hispanic, anglo etc.

Urban environment, good mix, lots of things to walk to and do. Don’t need a car just to go to the store etc.

Well my dislike has more to do with Florida more so than the particular neighborhood. For example, people who start businesses here are silly. They open up trendy businesses instead of opening up businesses that the neighborhood needs. For example in NYC when I walk up the block I can hit a bakery, grocer, butcher, fish shop, veggie stand, local grocer, dry cleaner, laundry, restaurants, etc. etc. Here, everyone wants to run a Yoga, Pilates, Martial Arts clothing boutique etc. Those are cute, but how many can one neighborhood sustain? There needs to be stores that the neighborhood needs. I shouldn’t have to hop in my car to go get basic things. But again, that’s a South Florida thing, nothing negative against my area.

Too many to name (seriously)

Is there anything unique about your community?

I wouldn’t say unique, other than that it’s a decent urban environment which is nto easy to come by in south florida.

30 minutes to 40 minutes.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,943,812 times
What city or neighborhood you currently reside in? Aventura (north part)
Why did you choose that community? Close to beaches, safe and desirable area far from high crime areas, reasonable rent, "centrally" located for night life and festivals in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.
What you like about your community? I am able to walk (and do walk) most places within 20 minutes--even the 2.8 mile running path and two gyms. Quick bus ride to the beaches. Many weekends my car doesn't leave the parking lot. Plenty of "greenspace" and trees between the high rise condos. Asian markets and ethnic restaurants nearby (in North Miami Beach).
What you don't like about your community? No access to rapid transit (see commute below). No *legal* way to walk/run to the beach. Heavy traffic during "shopping" hours and holiday season.
The best restaurant in your community? I love Thai House II (also in NMB), but I usually cool my own food, so restaurants don't matter much to me.
Is there anything unique about your community? i.e. Parks, Landmarks, Architecture, Ect. Jewish centers, Aventura Mall is internationally known. 2.8 mile exercise/fitness trail. "Finger" canals deep enough for large yachts.
Time it takes you to commute to work? 40-50 minutes rush hour driving, 1:15 by transit via Golden Glades park and ride, 1:40 by transit "out the front door." (I work on Virginia Key, not downtown, which adds a lot to those transit commute times).

Last edited by hurricaneMan1992; 08-05-2012 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 AM

326 posts, read 950,064 times
I live in Hollywood. Right on the beach. Okay, well in a building on the beach.

We chose this community for a variety of reasons. We found a great deal on rent on a fully furnished condo with the best landlords ever. We can walk out on the balcony and see the ocean on one side and the ICW on the other. We can walk to dozens of restaurants, shops, bars as well as free nightly entertainment. Even if the act is bad, the people watching is great. If I don't need many groceries I can ride my bike to Publix and put my bags in my basket so I don't really need a car if it came right down to it.
It's also easy to get to marinas/boatyards in Ft Lauderdale where we do most of our work, but it's close enough to Miami-Dade if we need to work down there. Usually we don't even have to drive out to I-95 to go south to Miami. Just take A1A and no stress unless we aren't in synch with the traffic lights which isn't really stress at all compared to the nightmare (just my opinion I hate highway driving) of the interstate.
Oh, and I can come into my own building to use the restroom when I'm at the beach.

The biggest thing I don't like about my community is that it can be almost impossible to find a parking place during snowbird season or the weekends/holidays. We have one assigned space in the garage, but the other car has to park on the street. We pay over $150 a year for a parking permit but that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to find a space to park. Some weekends the car on the street doesn't get used because of the parking issue. If we leave in it, we're gone for the day usually.

The unique thing about my community is that there's still a lot of "Old Florida" left around here. Sure, there's some new highrises and improvements, but there's still a lot of mom and pop around here as well. There are only a few chain type places on the beach--actually the only two I can think of off the top of my head is Ben and Jerry's and the Marriott--most places are independently owned. Also, a lot of little bungalows in my immediate area and just to the north between where I am and Dania Beach is a very quiet little beach neighborhood with no high rises until you get to the very northern border.

The best restaurant? Ehh, I don't know. I don't think many of them are all that good. There's a taco place I like, but I've had better. There are some pretty nice places on the ICW, but the places on the beach are generally just so-so. Better for cold drinks and people watching than the actual quality of the food.

The unique thing about my community is that there is no road between the beach and the beach front buildings. We have a two mile Broadwalk (not boardwalk, but it's the same thing) to enjoy without traffic. Also, in the winter, the whole area is crawling with French speaking retirees from Quebec. Some days I hear more French being spoken than English or Spanish.

Time to commute is different everyday depending on where I'm working, but mostly it's a pretty easy commute due to not needing to go very far west, if at all. Today I'm working from home so no commute!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,858,798 times
-Sunny Isles Beach
-My girlfriend wanted a place that was safe.
-The beach, obviously. I like walking to a Cuban cafe for coffee or stopping by a Russian shop for food at other times.
-It's an awful location for public transportation. The tourists are pretty rude, too.
-I guess Tony Roma's is the most renowned. I've never been there, though. There are a few solid places, but I tend to go somewhere else if I'm eating out.
Is there anything unique about your community? i.e. Parks, Landmarks, Architecture, Ect.
-The pier is a landmark, I guess. It's being repaired. I guess I should check it out to see if they're done.
-N/A since I just quit my job. If you work downtown, it'd take about 30 minutes.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:06 PM

115 posts, read 206,599 times
Little Havana

not out of my own volition, my mom fell in love with a house

some old germanic style architecture.. pointy houses with chimneys kinda look like gingerbread houses

too mediocre, too stereotypical, too ghetto, too much Latino influence, not enough diversity

La Camaronera? (never really been there, but it was shown on the travel channel once)

Calle Ocho definitely, the roosters, Domino Park, and Bay of Pigs memorial??...

about 10-15 mins by bus

Old 08-07-2012, 01:49 AM

Wow I look forward to my next visit to miami. A Lot of you have talked about safety is Miami area really that rough? I do love beaches so maybe I should look at inexpensive ocean side communities. One question I forgot to ask.....Im young 21 with no children but I plan to have children later. Are the Miami Public schools any good?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailthe7seas View Post
Wow I look forward to my next visit to miami. A Lot of you have talked about safety is Miami area really that rough? I do love beaches so maybe I should look at inexpensive ocean side communities. One question I forgot to ask.....Im young 21 with no children but I plan to have children later. Are the Miami Public schools any good?
as a whole, no. There are certain areas that are good though. Pinecrest, center and north grove, Coral Gables. One area in south beach has a decent elementary school, not sure about junior high or senior high though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami