Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In 2040 Metro Miami will have a population of..
5.5 million 3 7.14%
6 million 2 4.76%
6.5 million 6 14.29%
7 million 8 19.05%
7.5 - 8 million 23 54.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:38 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,439 times

Advertisements

Guessing whats to happen in the future is anyone's guess as anything can happen. However with a metro of 5.5 million now, what do you think will be Miami's metro population in 2040?

My take is that Miami's growth will slow down, as it has nearly every decade because of the limit of developable land but by 2040 Metro Miami should be between 7 million to 8 million. What are your thoughts and what can prevent Miami from growing? What can speed Miami's growth up? Does anyone else think South Florida will become a massive collection of skyscrapers by 2040 since land is limited?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
I hear everybody's movin' out. 2.2M by 2040.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,826,108 times
The elimination of the urban development boundary with surely contribute to the growth of Miami. I hope it never happens but as time goes by the pressure to remove it or move it will increase. One thing that we will surely see a lot of in the future is the demolition of homes and older buildings to make way for more high rises, especially in the little havana area.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:05 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
The elimination of the urban development boundary with surely contribute to the growth of Miami. I hope it never happens but as time goes by the pressure to remove it or move it will increase. One thing that we will surely see a lot of in the future is the demolition of homes and older buildings to make way for more high rises, especially in the little havana area.

I agree with you here as you said there will be a lot of razing of homes and erecting of at least mid-rise to high-rises. I think will see the same in Little Haiti also.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
One thing that we will surely see a lot of in the future is the demolition of homes and older buildings to make way for more high rises, especially in the little havana area.
I agree, land is one resource the Miami area will never have and in the future private single family homes will become more of a past-time/rarity/antique like 1970's style malt shops. I am expecting the Miami area to trail only NY and LA on the urban structure of the metro

By 2040, which is thirty years away I believe Miami has a very good chance of surpassing 7 million in the metro as it already has 5.5/5.6 million inhabitants.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:53 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I hear everybody's movin' out. 2.2M by 2040.
That trend will reverse at some point. Miami's year round climate and strategic advantage in terms of location will see it through, eventually. The availability of relatively affordable high rise housing stock will also draw many in. Miami will experience another huge population growth spurt at some point in the future, IMO. I just hope the city sorts out its infrastructure before that happens.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
That trend will reverse at some point. Miami's year round climate and strategic advantage in terms of location will see it through, eventually. The availability of relatively affordable high rise housing stock will also draw many in. Miami will experience another huge population growth spurt at some point in the future, IMO. I just hope the city sorts out its infrastructure before that happens.
I don't think Metro Miami's population is declining, however it is growing slower than it was pre-recession. It's similar to the growth of Metro Atlanta or Metro Phoenix, all were booming before the recession but slowed down and have slightly stagnated since the recession.

I think Miami will sort its issues out as well. It's poised to become one of America's greatest cities.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,942,754 times
Assuming we expand mass transit within 30 years, my guess is over 8M. Otherwise, closer to 6.5M. No matter how much we expand the Palmetto or add express lanes, our car-based infrastructure likely cannnot handle 8M. At 6-7M, much of Broward and Palm Beach start looking a lot like 27th ave and calle ocho in Miami.

Another factor is that in 30 years we have to worry about getting enough water--salt water intrusion into the Biscayne Aquifer is going to be a big problem, especially if sea levels continue to rise! Hopefully desalinization technology gets cheaper by then.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:41 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I don't think Metro Miami's population is declining, however it is growing slower than it was pre-recession. It's similar to the growth of Metro Atlanta or Metro Phoenix, all were booming before the recession but slowed down and have slightly stagnated since the recession.

I think Miami will sort its issues out as well. It's poised to become one of America's greatest cities.
I would like to see it become great actually and just for its geographical location alone, it has that potential. If it could somehow attract more "blue chip" corporations, high tech industry and improve its mass transit. education system and engage in some sort of crackdown on fraud and other criminality, it could become one of the most desirable cities in the US. It's already a bridge between the US and Latin America....build on that. I always said that of all Miami's awful politicians, Manny Diaz had the right idea(s). His vision of Miami was one that I would have embraced, had it been able to come to fruition.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
I would like to see it become great actually and just for its geographical location alone, it has that potential. If it could somehow attract more "blue chip" corporations, high tech industry and improve its mass transit. education system and engage in some sort of crackdown on fraud and other criminality, it could become one of the most desirable cities in the US. It's already a bridge between the US and Latin America....build on that. I always said that of all Miami's awful politicians, Manny Diaz had the right idea(s). His vision of Miami was one that I would have embraced, had it been able to come to fruition.
I agree, Miami is a great place but its lagging in quality of life issues. As much as I love Miami and living in Miami, I am very glad its only for part of the year.

Miami needs a better school system, reduce more poverty, get more industries, improve its economy, educate its populace, build stronger lasting infrastructure, improve the museum, theater, symphony, orchestra scenes, and it will be a metro as strong as many others. Miami is making strides, its crime is dropping, its transit is expanding, its airport is always improving, its becoming more walkable and urban, its maturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami