Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:20 PM

44 posts, read 168,563 times

Advertisements

Anyone who resides in Miami, Have you noticed how deteriorated homes look here lately? Have you also noticed how many vehicles you can find
parked in front of a single family home? What is going on here? Is it just me?
or does anyone else notice these things.

Has anyone noticed a rise in crime? I seem to notice a drastic crime
increase!!!

There is traffic everywhere at all times.

Is this really Paradise, or did we just "Pave paradise to put on a parking lot"?
actually more like empty condos.

Calgon, Take me away!!!!

Ana M

Old 10-05-2006, 09:38 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Probably the fun is gone and so are a great number of people that care at one time, but had to get out because the crime, lack of maintenance, and everything else you experienced today. I do have many friends that used to live in the Miami area and they all packed their bags and looked for greener pasture somewhere else.

Is a shame that a great city is out of control, hopefully folks will open their eyes and take it back.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Default Paradise?

"Call someplace 'Paradise,' kiss it goodbye."

Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Tons of illegal immigrants is why. I know people whi said Miami is ruined and many are leaving. I hope the mayor or governer does something to restore Miami!

Old 10-06-2006, 06:56 AM

243 posts, read 1,097,407 times
Default Nothing new going on here

Middle-class flight from Miami has been happening since the early 1980's. Many areas like Hialeah have been unkept with cars all over and bars on windows for 20 years now. Crime has been high here for years, if anything some of the petty theft crimes seem to have been decreasing in the last 5-10 years, all crime is far lower than it was in the 1980's.

Funny in the 1980's lots of people left Dade for Broward and Palm Beach to escape the immigration influx, traffic + crime, but now they're leaving Broward + Palm Beach for the Treasure Coast to escape the immigrants, traffic + crime in Broward + Palm Beach. I'm staying put, I'm young and will probably live to see the day when America has over 400 million people and when noplace with jobs or good weather is left uncrowded or without large non-English speaking groups. At least it'll still be warm+sunny in S. FL.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM

Unhappy Fix Miami, How?

It's impossible to fix Miami. Why? because nobody cares (well almost nobody). Nobody cares how many cars are parked overcrowding residential areas. Everyone here is out for themselves. This is not a community anymore, it's more like a jungle with alot of hungry dogs. There are 5-8 if not more living in a one bedroom apartment, yes a one (1) bedroom apartment. Why? well because taxes are high, insurance is high and an appartment which should be for 1-2 people, is not affordable to 1-2 people. Landlords are stuck, stuck renting to whoever and whatever amount of people. Don't ge me wrong, there are still some landlords with some guidelines and restrictions, but the majority of them usually have the building owned outright.

What happened to the 7 million in overpaid taxes to the fire dept?
What happened to the scandal with the 4 thousand cell phones the miami water dept had in service?
Policemen are underpaid, School teachers underpaid overworked and overcrowded, There is no way these great people can afford living here anymore. Hospitals filled with unisured people.

Illegals???? That's another can of worms!!!!

Just too many negatives.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:27 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
ana m,

You asked what happened to Miami? Well, for the most part you pretty much answered it on your last post. I don't know if I could have answered it better than that. It is sad and unfortunate the changes that has occurred over the last 15-20 years. Especially, in areas that were once considered "NICE" neighborhoods like West Kendall. West Kendall, Westchester, Pembroke Pines in Broward county all have changed dramatically in both the people that live in those areas and the physical appearance of those areas. I would say Pembroke Pines is the one that has changed the least probably because it is still relatively new.

I try to be optimistic about the area and try to look at the good parts of South Florida and what it offers. Unfortunately, I just don't see myself staying here much longer. Once my kids who are in High school graduate and in college, I am looking to get out. Heck, I've already started looking at possible places to relocate to and have visited some areas with Texas, particular the Houston suburbs on top of my list. If I stay in Florida, it will have to be from Highlands county north in the middle of the state, from Vero Beach north on the east coast, and Port charlotte north on the west coast. As far as South Florida, it has changed too much and only getting worse.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:28 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
I too am leaving because of crime and overpriced houses. if something isnt done, millions will be gone and houses will go vacent and lose value

Old 10-07-2006, 07:48 PM

Thumbs up Observer:

Observer:

I am also optimistic, but unfortunately that is not enough here. We are looking to move out hopefully a.s.a.p., but still uncertain when.

I guess everyone so far is on the same page about their feedback of Miami.

Yes the climate is great, but that is about it. It was not this way always though, and for those of us which have lived here all our lives, as I have,
I think it is safe to say Miami has changed drastically.

Good luck to you, and keep the optimism going!!!!

Ana

Old 10-07-2006, 07:56 PM

Thumbs up Need affordable home:

Need affordable home:

You are absolutely right. Many people I know are seriously considering moving. Let me tell you we were considering Broward County at first, but as we kept on researching northern Florida it became more and more interesting.
We don't know exactly were just yet but have about two communities in mind. We will see what happens, but hopefully I will not be around to find out! And I have noticed and increase in crime, and we are not just talking about bad areas it's happening all around.

I wish you luck in your decision.

Ana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami