Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 11:10 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Nice to see uproar from the rich cause a shift in policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 03:12 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Nice to see uproar from the rich cause a shift in policy
Well the rich, but also activists who have been more prominent and louder than the rich. But of course, this is Miami, they only care about the rich, while 80%+ of the city doesn't mean ****. It's a banana republic after all.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:18 AM

30 posts, read 56,443 times
I feel like I have to chime in on this one.....I was in Miami back in the 60's, 70's and 80's when there was a huge influx of Cuban refugees. They all came to this country with nothing, just the cloth they had on their back. Many of them became billionaires and millionaires, others just remained poor or working middle class, but they all had a roof over their head and I don't recall seen any homeless. The homeless are homeless due to bad choices they make. Why does the government and/or the taxpayers have to support them. I mostly agree with Beach43ofus, fly them to the middle of Wyoming and let them survive there.

Old 08-10-2022, 02:00 PM

154 posts, read 150,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRusty View Post
I feel like I have to chime in on this one.....I was in Miami back in the 60's, 70's and 80's when there was a huge influx of Cuban refugees. They all came to this country with nothing, just the cloth they had on their back. Many of them became billionaires and millionaires, others just remained poor or working middle class, but they all had a roof over their head and I don't recall seen any homeless. The homeless are homeless due to bad choices they make. Why does the government and/or the taxpayers have to support them. I mostly agree with Beach43ofus, fly them to the middle of Wyoming and let them survive there.
Drug use and the resulting homelessness breeds dependence on the government, which in turn gets Democrats elected. That's why Pelosi has miles of homeless in her district and in other Dem cities.
Wyoming won't put up with that crap.

Old 08-10-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Ah yes blame it only on the homeless and their decisions without factoring other possibilities, very smart. Also Miami had 8,000+ homeless in the 80s, so I don't know if you were only in one single area the whole time or not.

Point is, there's more to homelessness than their decision, only blaming them is illogical and stupid. Do any of you people even look at studies or policies created? Or socioeconomic factors, globalization, capital, educational patterns?

Also lol at your last comment, how about we fly you to Wyoming with nothing and see if you can survive! You probably won't even last a week. But thank you for again, showing how ignorant/uneducated Americans tend to be with social issues.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:51 PM

Yet I've actually worked on policy that reduced homelessness, studied Japan and the Finnish model and consulted with policy makers on best ways to mitigate and tackle challenges.

Before you say I'm detached from reality or I don't know what I'm talking about, kindly get on my level investing in them works and in the long run, costs less, but I'm sure you never studied that as well.

We built housing, transitioned them to work or school and homelessness reduced substantially, along with a reduction in drug use since they had access to care.

Last edited by Yac; 08-10-2022 at 10:17 PM..

Old 08-10-2022, 10:16 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,321,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
I've actually worked on policy that reduced homelessness, studied Japan and the Finnish model

This might explain why our policy is so bad: policy makers think America is like Japan or Finland.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:59 AM

860 posts, read 1,358,502 times
Quote:
Crazy that people still think like this in 2022. After all of the failed policies of this nation, from endless wars, to legalizing stock manipulation, it's no wonder we only have the haves and have nots. Funny you found the need to chime in (with such a low posting count) just to dump on the most vulnerable of our society. We're in for a bleak future until a certain demographic relieves their presence at the polls.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Crazy that people still think like this in 2022. After all of the failed policies of this nation, from endless wars, to legalizing stock manipulation, it's no wonder we only have the haves and have nots. Funny you found the need to chime in (with such a low posting count) just to dump on the most vulnerable of our society. We're in for a bleak future until a certain demographic relieves their presence at the polls.
I wish I could give you an infinite amount of rep for this post. It is sad people still think the way that other poster did, but the U.S unfortunately has a policy and education problem compared to other developed nations. Pretty soon, the U.S will be a fascistic theocracy with the highest inequality on the globe and any legitimate help in the form of social programs and policy to help people will be considered "communism" and that support will cease to exist. Miami will for sure be one of the hardest hit as well, I'm betting on that.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:07 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,231,320 times
Any of us could become "homeless" IF things do not IMPROVE soon in Florida! Lose your job, investments not doing well, savings all gone and so on. It is NOT just "addicts" who end up on the streets.

ARTICLE TITLE, LINK AT BOTTOM: Homelessness in Florida becoming middle-class problem.

When asked how an accountant for the state could find herself and her children homeless, Woods explained "because you have to pay to live, so therefore you can't afford to save any money to move," Woods said.

"I pay almost $2,000 per month to live here. Well, that's all my income," she said. "So I don't have any money saved to put down first month, last month, security then you have to think about all the deposits for electricity, deposit for the water. I can't afford all that," she told Investigative Reporter Katie LaGrone recently.

Woods said the pandemic forced her previous employer to shut down.

She lost her job and was eventually evicted because, she said, she was paying her rent at the end of the month instead of the beginning since she was waiting for unemployment benefits.

With no job, little money and an eviction on her record, Woods and her children started hotel hopping until they found the hotel where they're currently staying in Tampa.

By the time she got her accounting job with the state, Florida's rental market had exploded, making the numbers for her to afford a place of her own unrealistic.

https://www.wptv.com/news/local-news...-class-problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami