Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 01:25 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,651,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaRetired View Post
Any of us could become "homeless" IF things do not IMPROVE soon in Florida! Lose your job, investments not doing well, savings all gone and so on. It is NOT just "addicts" who end up on the streets.

Homelessness in Florida becoming middle-class problem.

When asked how an accountant for the state could find herself and her children homeless, Woods explained "because you have to pay to live, so therefore you can't afford to save any money to move," Woods said.

"I pay almost $2,000 per month to live here. Well, that's all my income," she said. "So I don't have any money saved to put down first month, last month, security then you have to think about all the deposits for electricity, deposit for the water. I can't afford all that," she told Investigative Reporter Katie LaGrone recently.

Woods said the pandemic forced her previous employer to shut down.

She lost her job and was eventually evicted because, she said, she was paying her rent at the end of the month instead of the beginning since she was waiting for unemployment benefits.

With no job, little money and an eviction on her record, Woods and her children started hotel hopping until they found the hotel where they're currently staying in Tampa.

By the time she got her accounting job with the state, Florida's rental market had exploded, making the numbers for her to afford a place of her own unrealistic.

https://www.wptv.com/news/local-news...-class-problem

Also, Miami's homelessness rate has increased 7% in the beginning of 2022 and will continue to increase. Shelters at at capacity and more homeless people are in Hialeah than before (they do not count homeless people, therefore the rate of homelessness in MDC is lower than reported, as I always said).

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...263899047.html

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/c...-rise-14788472

Then you factor in that Miami never counts "invisible homeless" (those couch surfing, have no permanent address) and what the poster above mentioned, even those who are middle class are on the brink of homelessness.

And no, crypto won't help, Citadel coming to Miami won't help either, the false "tech boom" provided little jobs and priced out locals. All it did was cause speculation and make the city one for the ultra wealthy rather than inclusive for all incomes. Florida is becoming the next California and funny enough, it's cause of expats that this is happening (in addition to Florida's lack of policy solutions and right-wing tendencies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 01:31 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,227,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Also, Miami's homelessness rate has increased 7% in the beginning of 2022 and will continue to increase. Shelters at at capacity and more homeless people are in Hialeah than before (they do not count homeless people, therefore the rate of homelessness in MDC is lower than reported, as I always said).

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...263899047.html

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/c...-rise-14788472

Then you factor in that Miami never counts "invisible homeless" (those couch surfing, have no permanent address) and what the poster above mentioned, even those who are middle class are on the brink of homelessness.

And no, crypto won't help, Citadel coming to Miami won't help either, the false "tech boom" provided little jobs and priced out locals. All it did was cause speculation and make the city one for the ultra wealthy rather than inclusive for all incomes. Florida is becoming the next California and funny enough, it's cause of expats that this is happening (in addition to Florida's lack of policy solutions and right-wing tendencies).
It is less expensive to PREVENT homeliness rather than wait until they are EVICTED. I feel for this Mother. Lol, I wonder if the State saw her article and INCREASED her pay? Doubt it and hope she didnot lose her job for "talking" to the media.

Bottom Line, better pay and affordable housing like yesterday!

Old 08-16-2022, 07:54 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamInMiami View Post
Wyoming won't put up with that crap.
A - no one lives in Wyoming
B - who cares about Wyoming on a Miami forum
C - homeless always tend to gravitate toward cities because that's where the people are (you know, to ask for money or find easy food/leftovers as well as an abundance of shelters)

Old 08-17-2022, 05:51 AM

25,699 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Most chronically homeless have mental illnesses, or are druggies/alcholics, or both.

Society should not allow them to live amongst the healthy producers, & beg and/or steal from them/us, & blight our environments & public places.

There are only 2 choices...pay to house them in mental institutions, or round them up & put them in remote areas on gov't owned lands, & give them just enough to survive away from the rest of us (the cheapest alternative).

When they see these 2 choices being forced upon them, the capable ones will straighten up, and become a producers. The rest will be rounded up and removed from society.

Leaving them alone to live amongst us is not fair to healthy producers. I don't want to look at it, or be exposed to it. Most have been offered help & refused it, so now they need to be rounded up, & removed from society. I'm willing to pay some small amount to keep the mentally ill alive & incarcerated out of sight.

Old 08-17-2022, 04:43 PM

25,699 posts, read 12,779,845 times
....suddenly crickets chirping....why?

The reality of the situation as outline above ^^^ is hard to swallow, which is why homelessness amongst us persists.

The adults in the room need to be making these decisions, implementing them, & moving American society forward.

Now, that would be progressive.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
....suddenly crickets chirping....why?

The reality of the situation as outline above ^^^ is hard to swallow, which is why homelessness amongst us persists.

The adults in the room need to be making these decisions, implementing them, & moving American society forward.

Now, that would be progressive.
Maybe all the Neolib, anti-social program people who are not compassionate and believe in segregating the homeless went to Wyoming ;P

Old 08-19-2022, 07:11 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
At least Miami is proposing some form of housing as opposed to blocking or limiting it, like CA residents have done for decades with zoning restrictions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/15/b...ng-crisis.html

Last edited by elchevere; 08-19-2022 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-14-2022, 03:47 PM

As expected (and told you all so) Miami's homeless unsheltered population increased 23% as of August, 7% increase in sheltered ones. It's also important to note that not all cities within MDC participate in the count, thus the number is definitely much higher.

It's the norm country wide, but since Miami is seen as a perfect utopia where nothing goes wrong and all is amazing on the forum, it is nice to see that I am right once again.

Old 11-14-2022, 04:10 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
And, yet, even with an estimated unsheltered homeless population of 1,140 Miami still does not even crack the top 10-15 (including some cities significantly smaller than Miami):

https://moneyinc.com/worst-cities-fo...-the-u-s-2022/

https://usabynumbers.com/cities-with...homeless-rate/

Walking through Brickell, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Coral Way, Little Havana, South Miami, Design District, and South Beach—among other places, I might encounter 2 or 3 on a daily basis (the guy in the King outfit in front of Santander and a guy occasionally in front of a CVS—though not camped out at night); for perspective, I returned to CA this summer and could not avoid many more / dozens, along with urine stench throughout a good portion of downtown San Diego and Santa Monica—still worse than our downtown. I do not spend much time in Allapattah or Miami Gardens, do you?

Maybe Miami does a better job of keeping unsheltered out of our more desirable neighborhoods? Can you name me a beach section here (or beachfront park) that looks similar to the following?

https://patch.com/california/santamo...tents-pandemic

For perspective, and a situation that has only gotten worse since I left 6 years ago when it was already awful (and worse than Miami today, much worse now)…you got 800, alone (vs our 1140) in just one small section of their downtown (that is home to their “crown jewel” ballpark neighborhood):

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...high?_amp=true

Even with such an increase, Miami is not remotely close to the situations in SD, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, DC, NYC, Honolulu and others. Not something that registers here as it most certainly did when I lived out West; trust me, you will hear loud and clear from me if it does.

Quote:
As expected (and told you all so) Miami's homeless unsheltered population increased 23% as of August, 7% increase in sheltered ones. It's also important to note that not all cities within MDC participate in the count, thus the number is definitely much higher.

It's the norm country wide, but since Miami is seen as a perfect utopia where nothing goes wrong and all is amazing on the forum, it is nice to see that I am right once again.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-14-2022 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-14-2022, 04:48 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,262,327 times
Quote:

ok, while you're doing your fan dance.....

percentages mean nothing...nada...zippo......did Miami have 100 homeless and go up to 123?

..and the link where you got that ditty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami