Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 04:50 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times

Advertisements

He was probably referencing this article:

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/loc...264649299.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
ok, while you're doing your fan dance.....

percentages mean nothing...nada...zippo......did Miami have 100 homeless and go up to 123?

..and the link where you got that ditty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 05:01 PM

18,428 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
And, yet, even with an estimated unsheltered homeless population of 1,140
thanks got it now....

so basically what they are....not....saying, is the weather is perfect for sleeping outside
...and you can't do drugs in the shelters

and there's ~1000 people that don't want to be in a shelter...for one reason or the other...and you can't force people to go to shelters

no where does it say the shelters are maxed out....they even increased their capacity

now here's a novel idea.....don't let millions of low wage earners into the country...and then complain about lack of low income housing

Last edited by Corrie22; 11-14-2022 at 05:53 PM..

Old 11-15-2022, 06:21 AM

And I do not recall anybody on this forum ever stating Miami does not have any homeless; rather we do not have as many as other major coastal US cities where it is a much bigger problem. A blind squirrel can see that.

Quote:
thanks got it now....

so basically what they are....not....saying, is the weather is perfect for sleeping outside
...and you can't do drugs in the shelters

and there's ~1000 people that don't want to be in a shelter...for one reason or the other...and you can't force people to go to shelters

no where does it say the shelters are maxed out....they even increased their capacity

now here's a novel idea.....don't let millions of low wage earners into the country...and then complain about lack of low income housing

Old 11-15-2022, 07:43 AM

the only time I've ever seen Miami with a homeless problem....was after Mariel....and crime went through the roof

Old 11-15-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
the only time I've ever seen Miami with a homeless problem....was after Mariel....and crime went through the roof
I passed about 3-5, one group with a tent, below a highway underpass near The Wharf on my way to Quest this morning.

Still nothing remotely close to what I saw when I lived in San Diego where there were dozens and dozens more, including across the street from my high rise in the nicest area of downtown, shortly before a citywide hepatitis epidemic broke out as a result of their homeless.

https://youtu.be/etqmkkW7D8Q

Above would be the equivalent here of homeless tents setting up shop in the vacant parking lot next to Jade Brickell—has not happened and doubt residents or the city would tolerate it.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-15-2022 at 08:15 AM..

Old 11-17-2022, 07:38 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I passed about 3-5, one group with a tent, below a highway underpass near The Wharf on my way to Quest this morning.

Still nothing remotely close to what I saw when I lived in San Diego where there were dozens and dozens more, including across the street from my high rise in the nicest area of downtown, shortly before a citywide hepatitis epidemic broke out as a result of their homeless.

https://youtu.be/etqmkkW7D8Q

Above would be the equivalent here of homeless tents setting up shop in the vacant parking lot next to Jade Brickell—has not happened and doubt residents or the city would tolerate it.
Just depends on where you go. We used to encounter large areas of swaths of tents just West of our downtown high rise (Loft 2). I'm sure they try to clean it up but that's where people go who have mental disabilities, sex offenders, etc.

So no Corrie, they are full of 'illegals taking our jobs'. When we lived at Loft 2, it was always cracked out white guys hassling us between MDC & the 7-11.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:14 AM

Except Loft 2 and surrounding areas is not in what I would call a (not yet) gentrified area of downtown. You don’t see tents on Brickell Avenue or other maintained areas of greater Miami such as Coral Gables, South Pointe Park or Peacock Park, but I did in comparable, nice areas of San Diego that were impossible to avoid (even worse in a number of other cities such as LA and SF).

I’m unaware of Miami’s homeless situation being out of control to the point that high profile citizens are taking to the airwaves and calling for our Mayor’s resignation as former NBA great Bill Walton—hippie and Grateful Dead devotee; not exactly a right wing spokesperson—is doing in San Diego. Balboa Park and The San Diego Zoo are surrounded by multimillion dollar homes, the city’s top attractions, and…homeless encampments beyond control.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...isis?_amp=true

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...onal?_amp=true

Again, not denying the existence of homeless in Miami; just not close to same extent as many other coastal cities (some bigger, some smaller).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Just depends on where you go. We used to encounter large areas of swaths of tents just West of our downtown high rise (Loft 2). I'm sure they try to clean it up but that's where people go who have mental disabilities, sex offenders, etc.

So no Corrie, they are full of 'illegals taking our jobs'. When we lived at Loft 2, it was always cracked out white guys hassling us between MDC & the 7-11.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-18-2022 at 06:00 AM..

Old 11-18-2022, 05:57 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
The faster you round them up, and remove them from society, the less of them will come here, and the problem is easier to solve.

If you delay, and let it persist, Miami will look like LA in no time.

Best to nip this in the bud right now.

Putting them on an Island is perfect....hard to escape, and cheaper than mental institutions. They can be permanent urban campers living in tents. Maybe put some port o lets out there to keep it somewhate sanitary, and provide running water.

if laws dont exist that allows rounding them up and removing them, then its time to write the laws. There are lots of ways to legally push them out. Constantly removing them, and harassing them to make them miserable is job #1. Cut them of from their income source..which is our free society.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
So no Corrie, they are full of 'illegals taking our jobs'.
Marc, do you get people's posts confused?....or just think someone said something because it's what's in your head

I do not think it's illegals taking our jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami