Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,215 times

Advertisements

The SoFL Government wants to diversify South Miami. I think they have understood that real benefits of diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 14,677 times
As an Asian living in Brickell with parents - and their friends - who once considered residing in Dade/Broward when they first came to US in the 70s, the reason is:

1. Education - this is the number one factor for Asian families, from pre-K to college. Even if their child doesn't go to college in the city/state, traditionally Asian families gravitate towards areas with strong schools, hence, Boston, NY, LA, mid-West, Chicago, etc.

2. Culture - we don't get the Latin culture. It's interesting to us and we like to see boobies as much as the next guy, but generally, the culture doesn't resonate with us... don't ask me about Japanese in Peru and Brazil, I'm at a loss.

3. Weather - most of Asia is quite humid in the summer and we tend to not want to live in the same summer conditions.

4. Career - sure, there are hospitals, law firms, engineering firms, tech companies, etc. in S.Florida, but nowhere near the amount and success of other places. Asians tend to seek out exponential growth regions - success breeds success... we also think that if we don't learn Spanish, our usefulness and upward mobility are capped... which is fair... I mean when was the last time you heard of a successful Latin lawyer or doctor practicing out of a Chinatown?

Now with that said...I quite enjoy being one of the only Asians in Miami. I feel like Latins go out of their way to treat me friendly which my white friend in CA also noticed when he came here... and I've run into more Latin women who like Anime and other Asian things, than anywhere else that doesn't have a heavy Asian population.

Last edited by traschpanda; 06-04-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traschpanda View Post
As an Asian living in Brickell with parents - and their friends - who once considered residing in Dade/Broward when they first came to US in the 70s, the reason is:

1. Education - this is the number one factor for Asian families, from pre-K to college. Even if their child doesn't go to college in the city/state, traditionally Asian families gravitate towards areas with strong schools, hence, Boston, NY, LA, mid-West, Chicago, etc.

2. Culture - we don't get the Latin culture. It's interesting to us and we like to see boobies as much as the next guy, but generally, the culture doesn't resonate with us... don't ask me about Japanese in Peru and Brazil, I'm at a loss.

3. Weather - most of Asia is quite humid in the summer and we tend to not want to live in the same summer conditions.

4. Career - sure, there are hospitals, law firms, engineering firms, tech companies, etc. in S.Florida, but nowhere near the amount and success of other places. Asians tend to seek out exponential growth regions - success breeds success... we also think that if we don't learn Spanish, our usefulness and upward mobility are capped... which is fair... I mean when was the last time you heard of a successful Latin lawyer or doctor practicing out of a Chinatown?

Now with that said...I quite enjoy being one of the only Asians in Miami. I feel like Latins go out of their way to treat me friendly which my white friend in CA also noticed when he came here... and I've run into more Latin women who like Anime and other Asian things, than anywhere else that doesn't have a heavy Asian population.
I’m also Asian and agree with most of the above.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:01 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,843,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traschpanda View Post

Yup. Florida schools suck. That's why Asians don't move here. They are too smart to move to a state that doesn't value quality of education.

My suspicions confirmed.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:37 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Yup. Florida schools suck. That's why Asians don't move here. They are too smart to move to a state that doesn't value quality of education.

My suspicions confirmed.
Several high schools in FL are in the top 100 in the entire country...6 of them are right here in Dade County

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...orida/rankings

Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 AM

50 posts, read 48,105 times
I argue that it also has to do with the distances between Miami and Asia itself. While there are now flights to the Middle East, historically, it was simpler/more sensible to stick with the historic locations, such as the West Coast or the Northeast. We also need to remember that Miami grew mainly in the mid-20th century, as opposed to many of the cities with dominant Asian populations which needed cheaper labor for agriculture and transportation. The ironic aspects is that there is a high population of Asians, but many of them are Asian Latin American, which you can see in places such as Hialeah, Kendall, or in areas of Broward (Chinese descent who speak Spanish with a Cuban/South American accent or Indian with a Caribbean accent), but which may not be considered Asian.
As for the Japanese in Brazil and Peru (which also has the 3rd largest Chinese population in the Americas after US and Canada), that is also connected to the historical aspects of agriculture, such as coffee and sugarcane. I am Peruvian-American myself and my great-great grandmother was from Guangzhou, and many of them came to Latin America as workers in the 19th century.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:31 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezm007 View Post
As for the Japanese in Brazil and Peru (which also has the 3rd largest Chinese population in the Americas after US and Canada), that is also connected to the historical aspects of agriculture, such as coffee and sugarcane. I am Peruvian-American myself and my great-great grandmother was from Guangzhou, and many of them came to Latin America as workers in the 19th century.
Wikipedia says something like 20% of Peruvians have some kind of Chinese ancestry. It is wikipedia, fwiw. I really look forward to visiting someday. My wife's great uncle immigrated there from Guangdong and spent the rest of his life there. Her parents really want to visit, almost like a pilgrimage, to see his burial site.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:07 PM

27 posts, read 21,540 times
I imagine most Asians don't want to learn both English and Spanish to live here, when they can go to California or another state with a more sizeable Asian population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountEverest View Post
The SoFL Government wants to diversify South Miami. I think they have understood that real benefits of diversity.
I don't think you know what "diversify" means. To me, importing a ton of different Hispanics / Latinos (who all have nearly identical cultures anyway) isn't really diversity.

Last edited by KingofWisdom; 11-04-2019 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-04-2019, 07:44 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Jews place a high value on education also—Miami has one of the largest Jewish populations in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post

My suspicions confirmed.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:47 PM

269 posts, read 247,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Jews value education also—Miami has one of the largest Jewish populations in the country.

The Jews in Miami go to their very insular yeshivas. They are not in the public or secular schools in any numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami