Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 PM

710 posts, read 2,232,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali26 View Post
Americans: Don't ever go barefoot in the elevator down to the pool!
lmao -- my (then) future mother-in-law didn't trust me for 3 years because I was one of "those" Americans that went without shoes! What is that about?

btw, your post about the über mom's in Atlanta blocking your driveway b/c you had a cul-de-sac home and no kids? That was the single funniest thing I've read here.
Thanks for the laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:41 AM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
Let's face it here: Miami may not look so third-world when comparing it to places like Honduras and Mexico, but compare Miami to ANY American city (NY, SF, Chicago, Boston) and yes, it is DEFINITELY less "American". Miami has many traits of a foreign country--billboards and signs written in Spanish (and often times, only Spanish), hearing the Spanish language being spoken more than any other language, poor infrastructure, garbage and stray animals everywhere, more areas of poverty than wealth, etc. Go to any other city in the United States and you will not see these things as blatant as you do in Miami. Sure though, there are one or two VERY small neighborhoods in Chicago that resemble Little Havana (Pilsen and pockets in the South Side), but certainly not the city as a whole. It's not crammed down your throat everywhere you turn. Like it's been said many times before on this forum, the only people who like Miami are as follows:

1) People who were born and raised in Miami
2) People who moved to Miami from someplace worse
3) People who have lived in Miami for a short period of time (i.e. less than year)
4) [Maybe] people who live in extreme wealth

Find someone who loves Miami (not just tolerates) that doesn't fall within one of the above categories. Personally, the entire time I lived in Miami, I never ONCE found someone who moved from a world-class city like SF, Boston, or Chicago that said "I love it in Miami!" Every single one was looking to leave as soon as possible.

Last edited by illini84; 08-14-2008 at 12:50 AM..

Old 08-14-2008, 07:42 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Like it's been said many times before on this forum, the only people who like Miami are as follows:

I wouldn't even count us in. I was born and raised here, my better half too and we both don't care for Miami. Most of my friends that I have grown up with have left, as Miami has gone down hill. Maybe the hispanics that have grown up here still like it here. But the white people don't stay.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Because 'people' can't possibly LIKE Miami. lol
I totally understand there will be people that like it here. But for the most part, most if not all the people that I have met that moved here in the last few years from a better place, have all left within 2 years. Not many stay longer than that, yes there are many reasons for their leaving. But mostly they are leaving for a better life style and better career options. Miami is a spring board for many people, not a place to stay long term.

Look at the news people lately. Have you noticed they come to town, spend a year or less and they are gone, they have moved on to better their career most likely. People don't stay in Miami if they are great at what they do.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:37 AM

27 posts, read 111,111 times
Quote:
Let's face it here: Miami may not look so third-world when comparing it to places like Honduras and Mexico, but compare Miami to ANY American city (NY, SF, Chicago, Boston) and yes, it is DEFINITELY less "American". Miami has many traits of a foreign country--billboards and signs written in Spanish (and often times, only Spanish), hearing the Spanish language being spoken more than any other language, poor infrastructure, garbage and stray animals everywhere, more areas of poverty than wealth, etc. Go to any other city in the United States and you will not see these things as blatant as you do in Miami. Sure though, there are one or two VERY small neighborhoods in Chicago that resemble Little Havana (Pilsen and pockets in the South Side), but certainly not the city as a whole. It's not crammed down your throat everywhere you turn. Like it's been said many times before on this forum, the only people who like Miami are as follows:

3) People who have lived in Miami for a short period of time (i.e. less than year)

Find someone who loves Miami (not just tolerates) that doesn't fall within one of the above categories. Personally, the entire time I lived in Miami, I never ONCE found someone who moved from a world-class city like SF, Boston, or Chicago that said "I love it in Miami!" Every single one was looking to leave as soon as possible.

I disagree with 1.) and 2.).

My Take:

1). Many people who grew up in Miami do not seem to like it too much.

2.) People who move to MIA from someplace else: at least 50% do not like it in MIA. MIA is radically different from the rest of the U.S. Your average American doesn't realize how out of their comfort zone they will be in MIA - and some are shocked quickly.

I agree with 3.) and 4.).

3.) Most people who've lived in MIA for less than a year do like it (especially if they live on South Beach or Brickell and have money) . . .

4.). Wealthy People - definately do like MIA. MIA is best experienced if you do have money. This is true. If you speak Spanish and have money, this is a really cool, fun place!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:52 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:

Some people move here because it is "unamerican". Miami is very different, but that's what makes it Miami. Sure it has problems, but you find me a city that doesn't have problems.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 AM

710 posts, read 2,232,884 times
Quote:
Like it's been said many times before on this forum, the only people who like Miami are as follows:

Find someone who loves Miami (not just tolerates) that doesn't fall within one of the above categories.
ME! I was born here but didn't grow up here -- per doctor's orders, my mother stayed on MBeach while pregnant. I grew up in NY/NJ then Cooper City/Plantation, VERY far away from Miami.
Just moved back from San Diego and we are NOT rich (although we are not poor).
I have "not rich" friends from France, Japan, NYC and Atlanta. I even know one woman who was born and raised in SoCal but is out here working at a Director level for a Fort. 500.
Friends of my wife that grew up here in Coral Gables ... some love it, some hate it, some are basically ambivalent. Most are "white," some hispanic, some married hispanics. Some moved away, NYC, Vero, some just up to Weston. Some stayed.

The thing that bothers me about this board, the thing that compels me to post, is the sweeping generalities that people make, "the only people who like Miami." If YOU don't like it, if you've NEVER met anyone that likes it, great! Say so, discuss your experience and why you didn't like it. Just don't assume for everyone.

We like it precisely for many of the reasons you say you don't like it. It has a LatAm feel but yet, we ARE American!

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-14-2008 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-14-2008, 09:46 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
We like it precisely for many of the reasons you say you don't like it. It has a LatAm feel but yet, we ARE American!
"we are American"

That's funny. I've had many "Americans" ask me where I'm from. When I've said Florida, they always ask about my ancestry. According to many, I'm not American, but Cuban. I've asked, so are my kids American or Cuban. Most still say Cuban. I wonder if my great grandchildren will be considered American? Then technically, I'm not Cuban either, because my grandparents were all from Spain.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:26 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I love my life in Miami Beach but it does come with a price. Fortunately for me, I bought my condo before things got really crazy expensive. I doubt I'd be able to live where I live if I were buying today. But, that's another story....
I am also fortunate that I have a second home in NC that allows me a change of scenery. I also work as a full time telecommuter providing me a fairly insulated life in NW Southbeach along Biscayne Bay. I only use my car occasionally to go to Target, Home Depot or special events. I walk everywhere else or take the 25 cents bus and feel very much a part of the community here. It's a terrific walkable tropical lifestyle!
All that said, I am single and have a good job. If I were coupled or had a family, I would probably not live in Miami at all because there are so many variables that come into play that would be important.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I wouldn't even count us in. I was born and raised here, my better half too and we both don't care for Miami. Most of my friends that I have grown up with have left, as Miami has gone down hill. Maybe the hispanics that have grown up here still like it here. But the white people don't stay.
Actually, 20,000 people leave Miami every year, most of them probably being Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami